• Last Updated:
  • Oct 30th, 2020 10:12 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2020
1321 posts
854 upvotes

light fixture - basic question

sorry if it is a dumb question.
i am looking to buy some good Garage light and attached pic is my current/existing light holder. I cannot figure out how many watts i can put there as its not written anywhere. i was looking at https://www.amazon.ca/Deformable-Lighti ... 95&sr=8-17
This light fixture spec says 150W (and gives 15000 Lumens)
My question is, can i safely buy this & just screw to my existing holder or how to check if that holder/fixture can take this 150W light?
Screenshot 2020-10-30 155744.jpg
9 replies
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3321 upvotes
Out west
Dont buy a bulb, just replace it with an LED fixture. They swap out wire to wire, give off more light, and update the area, and would cover the rough area around that fixture
Deal Fanatic
Jun 21, 2003
6324 posts
3870 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
TomLafinsky wrote: Partially unscrew the two screws and carefully look at the back. I've seen some written 660W-600V and others written 250V. I believe you should be fine with a 150W load.
There’s no way a socket like that would ever say it’s rated for 600V.
Deal Guru
Oct 16, 2008
11338 posts
5531 upvotes
Vaughan
WikkiWikki wrote: Dont buy a bulb, just replace it with an LED fixture. They swap out wire to wire, give off more light, and update the area, and would cover the rough area around that fixture
Why spend > $30 for new fixture? Spend $$$ (much cheaper) to get bulbs. I found with built-in LED light, fixture makes very slight buzz sound, when it's not working, the whole thing has to be replaced. I had to replace 2 outdoor coach lights.
nowhere2010 wrote: sorry if it is a dumb question.
i am looking to buy some good Garage light and attached pic is my current/existing light holder. I cannot figure out how many watts i can put there as its not written anywhere. i was looking at https://www.amazon.ca/Deformable-Lighti ... 95&sr=8-17
This light fixture spec says 150W (and gives 15000 Lumens)
My question is, can i safely buy this & just screw to my existing holder or how to check if that holder/fixture can take this 150W light?Screenshot 2020-10-30 155744.jpg
OP, that bulb/light is not CSA approved.
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3321 upvotes
Out west
teoconca wrote: Why spend > $30 for new fixture? Spend $$$ (much cheaper) to get bulbs. I found with built-in LED light, fixture makes very slight buzz sound, when it's not working, the whole thing has to be replaced. I had to replace 2 outdoor coach lights.

OP, that bulb/light is not CSA approved.
Who says $30, you can get good ones way cheaper than that. Or even get a nice "nipple" light that takes 2 bulbs and can not only hife the holes in the ceiling, so you dont even see the bulbs

But to each their own. Ive upgraded every 16 year old fixture in my house the last 2 years, for brighter and better lighting
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8130 posts
9317 upvotes
Montréal
ChicoQuente wrote: There’s no way a socket like that would ever say it’s rated for 600V.
This. And I doubt that this cheap fixture can handle a load over 100W. Most regular fixtures have a max of 100W
Deal Fanatic
Jun 21, 2003
6324 posts
3870 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
There’s something very sketchy about that. If you put 600V on there it’s going to end poorly. I’ve never seen a 600V rated E26 bulb. Not to mention the terminals are quite close together with no insulation barrier for 600V. That will almost certainly dead short with 600V. I’ve seen a 600V dead short happen and it’s not a good situation. That lamp holder would likely not exist after.
Deal Guru
Oct 16, 2008
11338 posts
5531 upvotes
Vaughan
WikkiWikki wrote: Who says $30, you can get good ones way cheaper than that. Or even get a nice "nipple" light that takes 2 bulbs and can not only hife the holes in the ceiling, so you dont even see the bulbs

But to each their own. Ive upgraded every 16 year old fixture in my house the last 2 years, for brighter and better lighting
Again why spend money buying new fixture (buying cheap stuff on eBay, non CSA approve). Are they?
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3321 upvotes
Out west
teoconca wrote: Again why spend money buying new fixture (buying cheap stuff on eBay, non CSA approve). Are they?
Home depot. Rona Canadian Tire.

But then again why spend any money. To maybe make it look better
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20807 posts
6623 upvotes
London
ChicoQuente wrote: There’s something very sketchy about that. If you put 600V on there it’s going to end poorly. I’ve never seen a 600V rated E26 bulb. Not to mention the terminals are quite close together with no insulation barrier for 600V. That will almost certainly dead short with 600V. I’ve seen a 600V dead short happen and it’s not a good situation. That lamp holder would likely not exist after.
I think that rating might be intended for HID sodium lighting (70W E26) . They run from a ballast and are not directly connected to 120VAC line. I think they are similar to florescent in that they use a pulse of about 300-400 volts just to start the arc, then they run at like 100V