• May 1st, 2019 9:02 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
2937 posts
666 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON

Light leakage beside roller shades

When we moved in to our home a couple years back we installed black out roller shades from Zebra Blinds. We were really in to home automation so we went with motorized shades. We've been happy with them and they have served us well in the 2 rooms we installed them, our master bedroom and office. However we now have a 4 month old daughter and the office is no longer an office, it is her nursery. While the shades do enough for overnight sleeping we find it to be a bit of a problem for her daytime naps as there is light leakage at all sides. We are unsure what is the best way to combat this issue. We feel we need to address it now as she is coming up on the 4 month milestone and her sleeping is kind of headed backwards at the moment because of that 4 month mark. It does not help that due to the layout of her room the crib is right beside one of the edges and as you can see from the 2nd photo it sends light directly at her crib. Rearranging her room is not realistic or doable so combating this light leakage is the only plan of attack. For our own sanity we want to do all we can to keep her sleeping well. ha ha.

The shades are an outside mount and extend 3" around the window itself on all sides. However in the day time this still results in too much light coming in. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to combat this problem? We're hoping to find an affordable solution, BUT we also want it to look presentable. I'm sure there's a million ways I could do it that will look like garbage and I would like to avoid those routes.
Images
  • QJsooMX4Rzuzxgdgc4iotg.jpg
  • +W5KlpUsQwq%96fGZe24Tg.jpg
6 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
2937 posts
666 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
TomLafinsky wrote:
Apr 30th, 2019 6:12 pm
Install a second blind inside the window frame. I am using a bedroom on the second floor as home theatre. I went to a cheap store like Blinds To Go and got blinds that allow 0% of the light to go through. And then we have expensive sheer to cover the whole windows. Some light can be seen through the sheer but it is like 2%.

In your case simply adding a good quality blind inside the window frame and keeping your current one should be enough. My 2 cents.
Unfortunately the home owner before us replaced the windows and they are a style I had not seen before. The screens are right at the front of the window so there is so inset area to the window or any way to actually mount another blind inside. The windows are all essentially (but not exactly) flush with the face of the walls beside them. It's super odd and not convenient at all. I'm attaching a picture of an example of this from another room as the baby is asleep in her room now.
Images
  • 14ElKBBtRROVp54Z21o7fg.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
8601 posts
1634 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Add curtains.

That said, not sure the room needs to be black for a day time nap.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
7308 posts
3473 upvotes
Paris
don242 wrote:
Apr 30th, 2019 9:26 pm
Add curtains.

That said, not sure the room needs to be black for a day time nap.
My kids required black

We did black out shades and blackout curtains. Now that they are older the curtains just block the edge light leakage.
For sale: Ego 56V 5aH batteries, BNIB
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ego-law ... h-2294293/
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2552 posts
747 upvotes
Windsor
Do you ever want that room to have natural light? If not, just tape up a thick garbage bag over the window behind the blind. Won't be pretty, but it will be a quick, cheap, and effective way to resolve the issue until you can come up with a more workable solution.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Temp. Banned
Dec 19, 2009
3545 posts
1520 upvotes
The crank is the biggest problem. Don't pull the blind past the crank and add a few pieces of velcro to pull the blind to the wall.