Expired Hot Deals

[Light Speed Internet] AB/BC/Shaw Territory - Cable 30 Internet for $32.95/mo, Cable 75 for $39.95/mo

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 7th, 2020 1:51 pm
[OP]
Oct 11, 2005
737 posts
1366 upvotes
Airdrie, AB

AB/BC/Shaw Territory - Cable 30 Internet for $32.95/mo, Cable 75 for $39.95/mo

Deal Link:
Retailer:
Light Speed Internet
In case anybody is looking for a cheap no-frills Cable Internet provider in Shaw-covered areas (most parts of BC, AB, some SK, MB, and northern ON), LightSpeed has some pretty unbeatable prices with current "Flash Sales" (may depend on which service you need, of course). For example, $32.95/mo for Cable 30, $39.95/mo for Cable 75. Take a look at https://lightspeed.ca/personal/cable-internet/ . They indicate this could end anytime, but haven't specified an absolute end date.

They also have some good prices/sales on their DSL Internet for BC/AB, but I haven't compared to see how they stack up against others (not applicable to me since it's not available in my neighbourhood).

Pros:
  • One of their banner promises on their main webpage claims: "Forever Pricing" - The price of your plan when you sign-up never changes for as long as you are our customer .. even for decades!
  • They claim "Flash Sale" prices will not increase, even after the 12-month commitment.
  • Prices in my notes from 2017 are fairly consistent with the current regular 2020 prices listed, so unlike other providers, they don't seem to have the same rate of hikes.
  • If you already have services using Shaw infrastructure, you probably won't need a site visit by a technician.
  • No installation/activation fees (most don't have this, but it's worth mentioning since companies used to charge for activation).
  • In addition to conventional credit card acceptance, they also accept bank-initiated bill payments as well as e-Transfer payments (kind of weird concept, to me?!) which some users might like.

Cons/Catches:
  • For "Flash Sale" prices, a 12-month commitment is required (they'll charge $59.95+taxes if you cancel early).
  • If you don't already have a compatible modem, you'll need to rent ($2.95/mo) or buy one (cheapest $94.50). See https://lightspeed.ca/cable-modem-prices/
  • Compared to some providers, they don't have a very streamlined website or interface, and most things are done over the phone. For example, unlike my previous provider, I can't log into my account to change credit card numbers, change plans, view billing, add features, etc. To do this, it's a phone call. But, acceptable for cheap and no-frills product.
  • You're billed for 2 full months up front (apparently for first and last months), and then on the 1st of the month thereafter, so its important to keep in mind that you've already pre-paid for an additional month if you decide to cancel at some point. So, in my example, I paid $32.95+$32.95+taxes up front, for services starting January 15. On February 1, I am billed a full cycle, but then credited for the prorated portion of January that I didn't have services (Jan 1-14 in my case).
  • They indicate there's a fee (amount unspecified) to change your package/speed, but mention they allow one free speed or package change per account or customer (not sure if that's per lifetime, or year, or whatever).
  • Contrary to what they say, a migration from one Shaw-reseller over to LightSpeed is not necessarily as "seamless" as they claim, even if you follow instructions to a "T", and a day or two of outage may be expected (they claim it's due to being at the mercy of your existing provider and Shaw).

Notes/Background:
I had done some research back in 2017 when I was looking for a new internet provider with lower prices (after a 1-year promo with Shaw was done, and prices were about to skyrocket). At the time, I went with VMedia.ca and got their Cable 25 for $34.95/mo. In May 2019, I got an email indicating their prices would all go up $3/mo, so I called and inquired, and without much effort, they were willing to roll back pricing for me, maintaining the $34.95/mo for another 12 months. I got another e-mail in early January 2020 indicating prices would go up $4/mo, and again I contacted them and without much effort they offered to drop the increase for 12 months. $34.95/mo isn't bad, given that their listed price was $41.95/mo now. Service has been reliable, and I was satisifed with them for the 2+ years I was with them.

But, on 2020/01/06, I decided to look at my old notes from 2017, and saw that I had listed LightSpeed.ca as a provider. I'm not sure why I didn't go with them initially. I looked at their website and noticed they had some really great prices (with "Flash Sales") that were unbeatable by others offering similar services. For me, Cable 30 at $32.95/mo was of interest. So, I phoned and inquired. And decided to make the leap. By going to their Cable 30 service (an upgrade from my current Cable 25 with VMedia), I'd obviously get a bit more download bandwidth, plus 5 Mbps Up (isntead of just 2.5), for $2 cheaper than I was paying. Cable 30 at TekSavvy runs at $39.95/mo, $43.00/mo at CanCom, and $46.95/mo at VMedia.

I already had a Hitron CDA-RES modem which I bought from VMedia in 2017 for $100 plus shipping (I see it's now available for $50 from them), so I didn't need to invest in anything else. I provided a photo of the modem label (contains model, serial number, and MAC address) as requested to LightSpeed. Multiple agents at LightSpeed assured me that it would be a seamless transition with minimal/no downtime if I followed instructions precisely (i.e. they provided a date, which I had to pass onto VMedia, requesting a cancellation effective on that date, and obtain a reference number which I provided back to LightSpeed).

Incidentally, when I called VMedia to request a cancellation, they seemed very willing to provide a deal to get me to stay ("Why are you cancelling? What could we do to make you change your mind?"). So, had I known, I might've just stayed with them for convenience if they could match LS, but then having to call back every few months to threaten to cancel and to ask for waiving of price hikes wasn't on my list of things I like to do. And I had already paid LightSpeed the 2 months of service up front to go ahead. So, no going back now.

The cancellation date (01/14) approached, and on 01/13 at 22:23 MST, my Internet service with VMedia ceased working. Services were still down on 01/14, and I tried multiple things (power-cycling modem, router, etc.). I was still getting an IP address (45.44.99.x subnet) on renewing my lease, but I couldn't get beyond the VMedia gateway. I contacted LightSpeed to inquire about status of the activation, but they said they had no visibility, and that this was all in the hands of VMedia and Shaw (apparently LS submits an activation request to Shaw, but Shaw will only process it after they've processed the cancellation request from VMedia, so there's a sequence of events that must occur in order). Anyway, on the morning of 01/15 I still had no service (despite the power-cycling dance routine I attempted one more time), and I was a bit concerned due to having my monitored security system, smart things (video doorbell, garage opener, etc.) all reliant on internet. But, whatever... not the end of the world for me, and I went off to work. When I came home that day (01/15), to my delight my Internet was up (I got notifications on my phone when I disarmed my security system, etc.). I checked my router and it indicated service was restored around 15:00 MST, and I was on a 172.103.x.x IP address now.

I've performed the obligatory speed tests, etc. and everything checks out. I haven't had the service for long enough to get a sense of stability, etc., but have no reason to expect much difference compared to what I experienced with VMedia. With VMedia, I occasionally (maybe every 2-3 months?) had to power-cycle the cable modem to restore expected speeds, but otherwise I had no complaints at all.

EDIT (01/18): Deleted mention of sale on Cable 150/300/600, which expired on 01/15, and was deleted from LS's website on 01/16.
EDIT (01/18): Clarified application of 2-month prepayment, and billing on 1st of each month thereafter.
EDIT (02/01): Updated billing info, as I received my invoice and my card was charged...
Last edited by CalgaryBen on Feb 1st, 2020 3:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
102 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
2142 posts
1278 upvotes
North Vancouver
Excellent post OP, very detailed and well written, thank you.
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. (George Carlin)
Guns don't kill people, people kill people. And monkeys do too - if they have a gun. (Eddie Izzard)
Dec 30, 2019
15 posts
10 upvotes
Thanks! Good post. Just called however and bad news for Saskatchewan, the are having trouble with connections and setting it up for us, so they dont offer the service here as of this time. They used to and its advertised, but currently dont offer it.

She said to try in a few months, as they are trying and hoping to be offering it again for us.

Also said that some of their promotions are still currently up from a year ago, so there isnt much of a rush, plus they add ones for the faster set ups occasionally, like OP stated.
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2004
1500 posts
215 upvotes
I've been with Lightspeed for around 5 years now. Prices are great, but be warned that customer support is not as good as Shaw/Telus. That's where your Shaw fees go (and their marketing).

If you're someone who can set things up in your own and provide troubleshooting diagnostic info to LS customer service, you'll be fine.

In my experience, the service has practically never gone down, and speeds are as promised.

One caveat that impacts all resellers is that cheaper prices may be coming after the court ruling on wholesale broadband rates. I jumped on to the cheaper plans back in September before the big telcos launched their appeal and am currently paying $50 for 300Mbps. LS is honoring that price, but new customers can't get it anymore.

Hopefully the resellers win their case and the lower prices will be reinstated.
Aug 28, 2013
188 posts
76 upvotes
CalgaryBen wrote: In case anybody is looking for a cheap no-frills Cable Internet provider in Shaw-covered areas
What about the unlimited bandwidth? How much is the most you ever got per month and is there a problem if you go over certain amount?
[OP]
Oct 11, 2005
737 posts
1366 upvotes
Airdrie, AB
BobyTT wrote: What about the unlimited bandwidth? How much is the most you ever got per month and is there a problem if you go over certain amount?
Bandwidth (Mbps) is limited to the plan you get, and is throttled/limited at the modem level. Data volume is unlimited, and there's no way to see how much data you've consumed (as mentioned earlier, there's no website/portal that you can log into to review your account info, AFAIK). Since you can't exceed "unlimited", there's no consequence to consuming as much as you can... it's an all-you-can-eat data buffet!
Aug 28, 2013
188 posts
76 upvotes
CalgaryBen wrote: Bandwidth (Mbps) is limited to the plan you get, and is throttled/limited at the modem level. Data volume is unlimited, and there's no way to see how much data you've consumed (as mentioned earlier, there's no website/portal that you can log into to review your account info, AFAIK). Since you can't exceed "unlimited", there's no consequence to consuming as much as you can... it's an all-you-can-eat data buffet!
Thank you
Oct 10, 2019
82 posts
35 upvotes
Thanks OP!! Glad to find someone who NEVER changes price!!!
INternet for weat coast rarely pops up, the one i saw last time was also good price but just like Lightspeed, i have never heard the name of that ISP either.
I believe they also offer unlimited high speed internet but not sure if they use shaw or telus because the plans are a bit different.
This is the promotion page that was being shared on one of the facebook group i believe - https://www.ivctel.com/promotion/west-coast
Kids are really bad these days.....
Apr 20, 2017
494 posts
271 upvotes
Toronto
DykeLuca647 wrote: Thanks OP!! Glad to find someone who NEVER changes price!!!
INternet for weat coast rarely pops up, the one i saw last time was also good price but just like Lightspeed, i have never heard the name of that ISP either.
I believe they also offer unlimited high speed internet but not sure if they use shaw or telus because the plans are a bit different.
This is the promotion page that was being shared on one of the facebook group i believe - https://www.ivctel.com/promotion/west-coast
Great price.

100 Mbps download speeds; 10 Mbps upload speeds
Unlimited usage
No contract
$39.95/month for the first 2 years, after $59.95/month
Free hardware rental (Wired modem and AC Mesh router)
Installation fee: $59.95
Jul 23, 2015
716 posts
504 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
12 month commitment kills the deal for me, never know when I might move and dont want to have a hassle with ISP of all things

Otherwise I'd switch from Teksavvy (39.95 for cable 30 unlimited)
Oct 23, 2008
117 posts
107 upvotes
I used Lightspeed for years and have had absolutely no issues with them! Switched back to Shaw recently for a 300 promo that ended up cheaper than Lightspeed, but I plan on switching back once the promo price ends.
Mar 6, 2013
710 posts
193 upvotes
Hi CalgaryBen, sorry you chose to to leave us, but thank you for your time with us and I hope we'll get you back. I am also grateful for the insight you provided into our services, and the expectations and objectives of many of our subscribers. Best regards.
[OP]
Oct 11, 2005
737 posts
1366 upvotes
Airdrie, AB
GeorgeBurger wrote: Hi CalgaryBen, sorry you chose to to leave us, but thank you for your time with us and I hope we'll get you back. I am also grateful for the insight you provided into our services, and the expectations and objectives of many of our subscribers. Best regards.
Wow, thanks for the reply... I certainly didn't expect VMedia to have eyes on this thread! As you can see, I was really happy with VMedia and wouldn't hesitate to recommend its services. At the end of the day, it all boiled down to getting more for less. If all else was equal (equivalent product, priced the same between LS and VMedia), I would definitely choose VMedia for added offerings (e.g. TV, if I ever choose to do that), self-serve website for account related activities, etc.

Perhaps after my 12-month commitment at LS (i.e. in January 2021), the federal court and cabinet will have sorted the appeal of the CRTC internet wholesale rulings by the big telecoms, and I can revisit options. Hopefully there will be some attractive winback or promotional offers at VMedia! From a consumer standpoint, there is beauty in having options and freedom to choose.
[OP]
Oct 11, 2005
737 posts
1366 upvotes
Airdrie, AB
Interestingly, Lightspeed technical support just called me (Saturday afternoon) to make sure things were activated and working, and that I was happy. They got notification from Shaw that the activation occurred on 01/15, and the guy calling apologized for the delay/interruption in service activation. It was an unexpected call, and certainly a bit unusual in this day and age.

Since he called, I took the opportunity to ask about billing (for my own clarification), and learned that billing occurs on the first of each month. However, since you pay for 2 full months upon signing up, your next bill will be prorated for the month it lands in, and then it's regular monthly billing (prepaid for the month ahead) on the first. For example, I paid for 2 months ($32.95 + $32.95 + taxes) on sign-up, covering services for January 15 to March 15. On March 1, I'll be billed ~1/2 month (for March 15-31), and then from April 1 and the first of each month thereafter, it'll be $32.95 + taxes on my credit card.

BTW, on Lightspeed, I get a 172.103.x.x IP address, which SpeedTest.net shows as being owned by Cipherkey Exchange Corp. A quick search reveals that they are an ISP wholesaler, and they also provide TV services for resale (but AFAIK, Lightspeed doesn't offer TV). I've cut the cord for TV and just use rabbit ears for HD OTA broadcasts, so not something I'm in the market for, but interesting to know about the upstream provider...

Also, it seems most of my SpeedTests on Lightspeed (on different days and at various times of the day) show I'm getting closer to 35 Mbps down and 5 Mbps up, even though I've got Cable 30. With VMedia, on Cable 25, I generally never saw more than 25 Mbps down (and 2.5 Mbps up).