Hot Deals

[Light Speed Internet] AB/BC/Shaw Territory - Cable 30 Internet for $32.95/mo, Cable 75 for $39.95/mo

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 10th, 2021 9:34 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2002
2263 posts
488 upvotes
Thanks for the heads up on the deal! I had tried contacting Shaw before to see what they could do for me in terms of a better deal, but they weren't interested even though I've been with them for about 7 years? Only when it came down to talking with their disconnection department they offered something like $85/month on a two year contract or something. They said I could call in after that to see what they could do. Too much hassle. Plus why lock in for two years when LS has the month to month deal for less? If LS is good and consistent, I'll likely stay with them for many years.
My avatar is Shandi Finnessey
Play Hay Day!
Banned
Dec 17, 2017
1014 posts
1051 upvotes
Difference btwn these guys and Surf Internet?
Dec 28, 2017
227 posts
260 upvotes
Calgary
good deal, finally be able to get decent upload speed
Dec 7, 2019
386 posts
252 upvotes
HailHydra wrote: Difference btwn these guys and Surf Internet?
When I lived in BC a few years ago, I was with Surf. I found Surf to be very dubious; always looking for ways to charge extra, inconsistent customer service, they felt shoddy and my friend told me they illegally recorded conversations. I would not give them my business again, nor recommend them.

Sam
Be the change you want to see.
Banned
Dec 17, 2017
1014 posts
1051 upvotes
songanddance wrote: When I lived in BC a few years ago, I was with Surf. I found Surf to be very dubious; always looking for ways to charge extra, inconsistent customer service, they felt shoddy and my friend told me they illegally recorded conversations. I would not give them my business again, nor recommend them.

Sam
I see. Im with them, but let's hope I don't have to deal with them other than pay bills. I've got 300 Mbps at $43.99 / mo
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2005
3861 posts
4861 upvotes
somewhere in B.C.
songanddance wrote: When I lived in BC a few years ago, I was with Surf. I found Surf to be very dubious; always looking for ways to charge extra, inconsistent customer service, they felt shoddy and my friend told me they illegally recorded conversations. I would not give them my business again, nor recommend them.

Sam
I've been with Surf for 4 years now. Never had a problem

but I was more interested in your comment about "illegal recordings". I believe that in Canada, it's legal to record a conversation if you are in the conversation.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2004
2693 posts
1697 upvotes
GVRD
I was with Lightspeed, then CIK and now back to Telus. My parents are with Shaw. Since I stream a lot of stuff with VPN, SmartDNS and has IT and network background. I had a fair share of experiences dealing with tech support and customer services for various issues.

- TPIA ISP such as TekSavvy, Lightspeed, CIK are licensing the use of the said carrier network (Shaw, Roger, Telus etc) for a wholesale fee controlled by CRTC. They are often referred to as "Last mile".
- TPIA ISP are not "reseller" of the carrier service because the carrier only route the traffic to the ISP's infrastructure.
- CIK and TekSavvy have their own their network infrastuture, they have an AS number assigned by IANA for routing.
- Lightspeed (cable) leases IP from SkywayWest and peer through AEBC
- Surf and others are unknown as I cannot find them through BGP lookup (you can help by doing a traceroute or IP address reverse lookup)
- Overall Telus and Shaw has lower ping time and lower hops, it is suitable for online gaming and streaming because they have peering/transit agreement with tier 1 carriers across the world
- Telus and Shaw being the first party, their own customers have priority in case of outage
- Should there be issues with the service, TPIA customers are on their own because the TPIA ISP has to troubleshoot if the issue is on the last mile carrier or their own because they need to pay the last mile carrier for no fault found incidents. The troubleshooting process takes weeks as the ISP has to investigate and submit support tickets with the last mile carrier.

Since my jump from CIK to Telus, the overall responsiveness of my internet service has improved. Streaming is quicker with almost little to no buffering using VPN. Telus even checked with me when the modem keeps power cycling due to my faulty UPS. I am expected to renegotiate with them in 2 years but at least the internet is so much better.

I don't think most people would notice 2-5ms of difference, and the prices speak for itself. I am using the RT-AC3100 router with almost all AC wireless, so the difference is noticeable even on an iPad.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2005
3861 posts
4861 upvotes
somewhere in B.C.
pkphilip wrote: - Surf and others are unknown as I cannot find them through BGP lookup (you can help by doing a traceroute or IP address reverse lookup)
Is this what you were wanting for Surf? "IAAK Technologies Inc"
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
1801 posts
1600 upvotes
HailHydra wrote: Difference btwn these guys and Surf Internet?
I was with surf internet for 3 years. they had pathetic CS, they price gouge you for everything. My internet 25 was such a POS modem it was DC with heavy traffic and they told me I had to pay 169 bucks to upgrade it. the end was when I wanted to go to internet 75 they said I needed a new modem and pay an activation fee. I had enough
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2611 posts
950 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
I've been with Lightspeed for a long time now and I haven't had any problem with them. They have stayed true to their words with price lock guarantee and the only time when my price shot up was when I upgrading to their promo 300Mps for $49.95. I'm still paying for what I sign up for. Shaw played some wicked pricing games when I was with them. After my 2 years contract was done, they hiked up my price plan 3 times in 7 months. I only had internet with them and my bills were reaching $95 a month. I thought to myself for that price I can get about 2 months of Lightspeed and I was certain they would hike up my prices again if I stayed any longer. I'm glad I made the switched but just wish I did it sooner. For all those who are on the fence of switching I say just do it. Don't 2nd guess your decisions because you will start to feel the benefits with lightspeed in the long run.
[solicitation removed]
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2004
2693 posts
1697 upvotes
GVRD
raskal wrote: Is this what you were wanting for Surf? "IAAK Technologies Inc"
Awesome, I actually did found out while back in 2017 about them. If you look up AS174, it's Cogent IP range for IAAK. It is a reseller for what I can tell. The office location is registered to an office space rental in Coquitlam.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
1647 posts
1360 upvotes
How would I connect to lightspeed cable when I'm currently with Telus adsl internet?
I have cable tv with shaw already, can I use a splitter inside my house at my tv, or do I need an extra cable connection from outside my house?
[OP]
Oct 11, 2005
858 posts
1636 upvotes
Airdrie, AB
billford wrote: How would I connect to lightspeed cable when I'm currently with Telus adsl internet?
I have cable tv with shaw already, can I use a splitter inside my house at my tv, or do I need an extra cable connection from outside my house?
That's right -- Lightspeed cable internet shares the same delivery medium as your Shaw Cable TV, and the two services can co-exist. Ideally, you'd want to use a 2-way 1GHz splitter as far "upstream" as you can -- i.e. the first split upon entry into the home, if possible, since every subsequent split downstream will attenuate the signal. But, if your signal at the TV is good (and perhaps the only available location), you can split at that location, and run your cable modem from there.

I would look at getting a compatible cable modem for the service you are after (the required modem may vary depending on the service/speed you are after, due the hardware supporting different frequencies/bands). On Lightspeed's Cable Internet Services page, simply click on the "Click here for details" link for the service/speed you're interested in, then scroll down and click on the "Use Your Own Modem" tab (or click on the "Available Modems" if you want to buy/rent one.

Once you have a modem, activation of services is often plug-and-play (connect cable modem to the coaxial cable feed, and plug the other end into your home router (where required).

You could overlap your Telus ADSL service and new cable internet so you're without services if you want, but since the two are independent of one another, one won't impact your ability to have the other.

Good luck!
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
1647 posts
1360 upvotes
CalgaryBen wrote: That's right -- Lightspeed cable internet shares the same delivery medium as your Shaw Cable TV, and the two services can co-exist. Ideally, you'd want to use a 2-way 1GHz splitter as far "upstream" as you can -- i.e. the first split upon entry into the home, if possible, since every subsequent split downstream will attenuate the signal. But, if your signal at the TV is good (and perhaps the only available location), you can split at that location, and run your cable modem from there.
Thanks for the excellent info.

That first split into my home is at a plastic shaw box thats screwed into the outside of the house.
If I run a extra cable from the shaw box to inside the house, does shaw need to do this (since I have to access their box)? Or can I just access the box and run the cable in myself?
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
12091 posts
10999 upvotes
billford wrote: Thanks for the excellent info.

That first split into my home is at a plastic shaw box thats screwed into the outside of the house.
If I run a extra cable from the shaw box to inside the house, does shaw need to do this (since I have to access their box)? Or can I just access the box and run the cable in myself?
IIRC, outside box is locked. Since you have Shaw Cable only, I am not sure that Lightspeed will let you to do self-install Shaw Internet modem.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $36 5GB, $12 250MB, 2x $6 50min/50text, Fido $5 4GB data only plan with a free tablet,
Zoomer $36 loyalty 4GB plan, $0 FPL home phone. Have a better and better day!
[OP]
Oct 11, 2005
858 posts
1636 upvotes
Airdrie, AB
billford wrote: That first split into my home is at a plastic shaw box thats screwed into the outside of the house.
I would make any splits inside the house for various reasons. Do you have more than 1 outlet in the home? If so, it's possible you have splitters after the cable enters the home, so having some awareness of layout inside may help ensure picking a point with the best signal.

In any case, you could always just activate a modem with services and connect it where convenient, and see how it works. If it's sub-par, Lightspeed and other companies will typically have a Shaw tech dispatched (at no cost to you), and their job is to optimize the signal as needed (e.g. remove/replace splitters as needed, insert a drop-amp if needed, etc.). They're usually not allowed to do anything with the cable modem itself, however. I think (but don't remember for sure) there might've been a question about whether there is, or has been, cable internet services at your current address, and if not, they may dispatch a tech regardless. It's sort of up to you which route to go, depending on whether you anticipate a smooth self-install or not; if a tech is dispatched, at least they'll cover splitters, connectors, extra coax cable, etc.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
1401 posts
593 upvotes
I really like Lightspeed. Been with them for almost 2 yrs now and no issues to speak of. There was that landslide in BC that killed the pipe a week or so ago but obviously was outside of their control. I max out 75mbps download on Usenet easily.
Nov 28, 2018
31 posts
11 upvotes
I haven't heard this company. Checked their website which seems not that professional so I doubt their customer service and tech support. Currently with CIK Telecom that offers $49.99 for 75mbps unlimited internet with home phone service. Not bad with them so far, I may be not going to switch.Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
2578 posts
3526 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Considering switching to Lightspeed after reading this thread. I would go with internet 75 for $40/month.
I'm currently with Shaw internet 75 and paying $55/month so a $15 savings...
But I understand that I'd need.to either buy a modem or rent it??

If I cancel service with Shaw does that mean they take my current modem back?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)