Expired Hot Deals

[Light Speed Internet] AB/BC/Shaw Territory - Cable 30 Internet for $32.95/mo, Cable 75 for $39.95/mo

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 1st, 2020 3:29 am
Mar 19, 2016
259 posts
135 upvotes
canada
crunchiespg wrote: It doesn't seem like they're fighting very hard when they're are charging you way more than the so called bad guys like shaw.
The best thing they could do for consumers is offer competitive pricing. Which it doesn't seem they are from these "deals".
Ya unfortunately it seems that way. To be fair Shaw only offered that as a retentions offer.
Sep 29, 2008
275 posts
98 upvotes
dustinsa wrote: Ya unfortunately it seems that way. To be fair Shaw only offered that as a retentions offer.
Nope. Shaw offers good deals all the time. You just have to keep an eye out for them. I've had good deals for over 10 years and only once was it a retention deal.
The deal they offered to everyone a few months ago was better than the retentions offer.
Mar 19, 2016
259 posts
135 upvotes
canada
crunchiespg wrote: Nope. Shaw offers good deals all the time. You just have to keep an eye out for them. I've had good deals for over 10 years and only once was it a retention deal.
The deal they offered to everyone a few months ago was better than the retentions offer.
Oh ok good to know! Any recommendations on how to find said deals? Sign up for promos or?
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
33455 posts
3616 upvotes
Winnipeg
This deal is comparable to cancom, few bucks cheaper but require minimum 1 year commitment.
Sep 29, 2008
275 posts
98 upvotes
dustinsa wrote: Oh ok good to know! Any recommendations on how to find said deals? Sign up for promos or?
Keep your eyes on these forums mainly. Or just ask at the mall if you see the shaw kiosk.
[OP]
Oct 11, 2005
561 posts
777 upvotes
Calgary, AB
divx wrote: This deal is comparable to cancom, few bucks cheaper but require minimum 1 year commitment.
Which deal are you referring to? I only see these Internet plans from Can-Com:
CanComInternet.PNG

I'd say a bit more than a few bucks difference!
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
33455 posts
3616 upvotes
Winnipeg
CalgaryBen wrote: Which deal are you referring to? I only see these Internet plans from Can-Com:

CanComInternet.PNG

I'd say a bit more than a few bucks difference!
I'm on their Pro 100 $50, it is not advertised. What is your coverage for SK/MB?
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2002
2261 posts
487 upvotes
I was looking at their Home Cable 600 service for $79.95/month. They do have to sell you a non-wifi Technicolor modem for $169 + $12 shipping or you can buy your own. I'm paying $98 for Shaw for Internet 300 so I'm considering switching.
My avatar is Shandi Finnessey
Play Hay Day!
Feb 3, 2020
2 posts
2 upvotes
Try calling to cancel and see what happens (see my post on the previous page). Wait times weren't too bad, about 10 mins in all and only got passed over once.

Answering a couple of questions from upthread:
-No, Teksavvy does not currently have a $40 / 75 plan on offer but I did see something similar for Lightspeed DSL recently.
-I used Teksavvy's name because they are a more well-known discount provider.

Here's the details sent over from the rep (I did not have to actually cancel):
Nov 27, 2006
10 posts
7 upvotes
Winnipeg
I'm in Manitoba and I've had DSL with MTS/BellMTS for 10+ years. I see that lightspeed sells both DSL and cable internet with DSL being more money and limited data. In people's experience is DSL better in some way? I remember mts used to say that DSL was not "shared" and you got better latency, is that still true? Would switching from DSL to lightspeed cable negatively effect my freephoneline/google voice?
Jun 23, 2019
71 posts
55 upvotes
I have the $23.95 package. 5 down. 1 up in B.C.. 5 down is fine with netflix and amazon and 1 up is fine for voip phone calls. Service is also far better than Shaw. Easy to to talk to staff. And if you are already on shaw its easy to switch.
Jun 8, 2018
7 posts
2 upvotes
HunkaHunkaBurningLove wrote: Kinda spooked by these reviews:

https://www.yelp.ca/biz/internet-lights ... y?start=20

Anyone here have any experience with overbilling, service issues, etc?
I had an issue with billing continuing after I had cancelled service. Didn't notice for a few months. Called in and they refunded the charges though it took about a week to process. No problems beyond that during my time with them.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2002
2261 posts
487 upvotes
Just to follow up, I switched over from Shaw to Lightspeed, and everything went pretty smoothly. I have my TPlink EAP245 working as an access point, and all is speedy quick. I did have to call tech support to check that I was getting the correct speeds, and that went well. The tech was friendly and verified everything with me. Pretty happy so far!

Does anyone know if Lightspeeds bumps up their customer speeds for free whenever Shaw does? Shaw recently did the 150 to 300 speed bump not too long ago.
My avatar is Shandi Finnessey
Play Hay Day!
[OP]
Oct 11, 2005
561 posts
777 upvotes
Calgary, AB
HunkaHunkaBurningLove wrote: Just to follow up, I switched over from Shaw to Lightspeed, and everything went pretty smoothly.
Pretty happy so far!

Does anyone know if Lightspeeds bumps up their customer speeds for free whenever Shaw does? Shaw recently did the 150 to 300 speed bump not too long ago.
Congrats on making the leap! To your previous concerns about billing, etc., I don't anticipate any issues, but as I mentioned earlier, make a note to yourself to ensure you receive appropriate adjustments if/whenever you leave LS, since you've paid for a full extra month (your "last" month of service, whenever that will be) up front. The accounting/operations do "feel" a bit manual and human-driven (e.g. if you look at the forms section of their website (with typos and all!), it feels like something you might see in the 90's or 2000's. But, I wouldn't trade that for the great pricing... I'm OK with no frills, bells, or whistles! I'm approaching a month of service now, and have no complaints at all.

On the Cable 30 plan, I'm consistently seeing download speeds around 35 Mbps, and upload at 5 Mbps (whereas on VMedia's Cable 25, I consistently saw 25D/2.5U but never better). I don't have the historical awareness/experience with LS, but I don't imagine they'll up speeds to mirror what Shaw does, since it's a different tier of service. You likely just get what you pay for -- nothing more (well, maybe a tad more as in my case?), and nothing less.

Speaking of VMedia, as a former customer, I received the following message, which is worth sharing here since it's probably of interest to anybody reading this thread. It's a form you can fill out to send a message to your MP to support the CRTC decision to lower wholesale internet prices, and it takes only a few seconds (but deadline is the end of Feb 14):
Dear Friends,

At VMedia our mission is to provide the most affordable prices, the best choice and flexibility, dedicated consumer advocacy and innovative services for all Canadians.

We need your help in the ongoing fight for affordable Internet prices. In case you missed it, here is a quick recap of what’s happening:
  • Last August, the CRTC decided the rates we pay to the Big Guys for wholesale internet was unjust and unreasonable. So the CRTC instructed the Big Guys to lower those wholesale prices to independent providers like VMedia.
  • The Big Guys are fighting back, and have delayed its implementation and are trying to reverse the decision. They are asking the Federal Cabinet to set aside the CRTC decision, and increase the prices instead!

We have worked for years to offer you low internet prices, and now we ask you to help us, and all Canadians. We are asking you to tell your MP that Canadians deserve a fair price for Internet. And we have a very easy way to do it.

Let’s work together to ensure that the prices you pay for all important internet services are fair, just and reasonable, and not among the highest prices in the world.

Click on the button below, it takes 15 seconds!
STAND UP FOR LOWER PRICES
While I'm now with LS, I'm glad that companies like VMeda and TekSavvy are advocating for their customers and those of others in this space.