Hot Deals

[Light Speed Internet] AB/BC/Shaw Territory - Cable 30 Internet for $32.95/mo, Cable 75 for $39.95/mo

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 10th, 2021 9:34 pm
[OP]
Sr. Member
Oct 11, 2005
859 posts
1636 upvotes
Airdrie, AB
stovetop wrote: But I understand that I'd need.to either buy a modem or rent it??

If I cancel service with Shaw does that mean they take my current modem back?
I'd call Shaw up to find out whether your current modem is a rental or owned (plus find out how much notice you need to provide for cancelation). If it's a rental, then you're right, they'll need it to be returned. You might luck out and get Shaw to match/beat competitor rates in order to keep you with them, so nothing to lose by trying. If they can't beat the pricing and you want to go ahead and switch, you'll need buy a compatible modem or rent one of theirs for $2.95/mo. From the compatible modem list, you can often find one listed on Kijiji or eBay for a fraction of retail prices, and use that. If you're worried about downtime, then overlap your existing Shaw services with your new Lightspeed services.
Penalty Box
Jun 1, 2016
1115 posts
2460 upvotes
These are pretty terrible prices.

For $15 - $20 more you can easily get Shaw 150 or 300, really not a stretch by finding a field rep on Facebook or here.

Once you're off of the contract, negotiate.

I called up Telus, got 300 unlimited for $45. Got another $10 off for a Koodo line. Good for 24 months. Yeah, paying $35 for 300 unlimited price protected.

There are way better deals than this out there.
Member
Jun 17, 2007
265 posts
219 upvotes
Terrace
DeltaSingh wrote: These are pretty terrible prices.

For $15 - $20 more you can easily get Shaw 150 or 300, really not a stretch by finding a field rep on Facebook or here.

Once you're off of the contract, negotiate.

I called up Telus, got 300 unlimited for $45. Got another $10 off for a Koodo line. Good for 24 months. Yeah, paying $35 for 300 unlimited price protected.

There are way better deals than this out there.
I find the whole point of these reseller is to AVOID having to make an annual call to shaw or telus to beg for a reduced bill. Half of the time they'll just say "sorry! You're already getting a great connection at a great price!" until you start mentioning these resellers or ask to disconnect. Not everyone wants to battle their provider every single time their bill jumps from $50 to $110. When I had Shaw, I was paying $81.76 monthly for a 25mbit connection + I had asked them to reduce me to 15mbit for $72 and they refused, because I used over 200gb per month. Isn't it insane to sit on hold for 1 hour just to be told that they can't do better than $82 on a 25mbit connection? This was in 2016. I switched to can-com, got a faster connection, and had my monthly bill reduced from $81.76 to $35.84.

I have no reason to have over a 30mbit connection as a single user personally, I cut down from 85mbit and absolutely nothing has changed in my day to day use. Most small household uses (ie: Facebook) don't notice any change from a 300mbit connection. Most random sites I downloaded from with a 85mbit connection could not sustain even over 50mbit without threading the download with third party browser plugins. I can't imagine how you could utilize those higher speeds without having a zoo of a household with 10+ people living in it.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Oct 11, 2005
859 posts
1636 upvotes
Airdrie, AB
DeltaSingh wrote: These are pretty terrible prices.

For $15 - $20 more you can easily get Shaw 150 or 300, really not a stretch by finding a field rep on Facebook or here.

Once you're off of the contract, negotiate.

I called up Telus, got 300 unlimited for $45. Got another $10 off for a Koodo line. Good for 24 months. Yeah, paying $35 for 300 unlimited price protected.

There are way better deals than this out there.
The fact that you got a great rate doesn't make these "terrible prices". If the Shaw or Telus prices you cited were posted/advertised for everyone and were consistently competitive compared to the little guys like Lightspeed, then you'd have made your case.

But, I'm not here to convince you. Why don't you try and convince all of us readers that "there are way better deals than this out there" that are available to all consumers? For example, many of us aren't on Koodo, so getting the $10 off isn't feasible. I also have a feeling your Telus internet plan is highly YMMV, since the posted/advertised price is $85 for the first 24 months, and then $115 after that.

(Incidentally, I did try pursuing something from Telus but my community isn't serviced by them, and I've tried getting an acceptable rate from Shaw, but they couldn't come close, which is why I cut ties to them... so it's not like these are really just out there for the asking...)
Penalty Box
Jun 1, 2016
1115 posts
2460 upvotes
Elanzer wrote: I find the whole point of these reseller is to AVOID having to make an annual call to shaw or telus to beg for a reduced bill.
You're on RedFlagDeals, people drive two hours just to get a deal from Walmart. If you're that lazy and don't want to put in the work, $75 / month savings ($110 regular price - $35 discounted price) are the tax you pay. You can't expect to be spoonfed a good deal, that's not how it works.
Elanzer wrote: I have no reason to have over a 30mbit connection as a single user personally, I cut down from 85mbit and absolutely nothing has changed in my day to day use. Most small household uses (ie: Facebook) don't notice any change from a 300mbit connection. Most random sites I downloaded from with a 85mbit connection could not sustain even over 50mbit without threading the download with third party browser plugins. I can't imagine how you could utilize those higher speeds without having a zoo of a household with 10+ people living in it.
Try streaming a single 4k YouTube stream, 4k Netflix, 4k Plex. Try even updating your apps, backing up your apps. I think your age is showing. You don't use the speed, doesn't mean others should pay the same amount of $$ for a lower speed.
CalgaryBen wrote: The fact that you got a great rate doesn't make these "terrible prices". If the Shaw or Telus prices you cited were posted/advertised for everyone and were consistently competitive compared to the little guys like Lightspeed, then you'd have made your case.
Maybe re-read my post, I specify how to get the deals. I'm not going to link to a specific field rep.
CalgaryBen wrote: For example, many of us aren't on Koodo, so getting the $10 off isn't feasible.
I'm stating my specific case and how I got the price for others to replicate with a proven methodology. It's a negotiation tactic that I used, if it's not applicable to you, that sounds like a "you" problem.
CalgaryBen wrote: I also have a feeling your Telus internet plan is highly YMMV, since the posted/advertised price is $85 for the first 24 months, and then $115 after that.
That has no bearing on anything. I'm telling RFD that there are better deals out there by listing mine to prove it.
CalgaryBen wrote: so it's not like these are really just out there for the asking...)
Once again, I don't know why you expect to be spoonfed a deal ..
Newbie
Mar 28, 2019
7 posts
My shaw 2 year plan has expired today! Would like to get the best offer on internet. I live in Sullivan (Surrey) ,BC. Could go with either shaw again or telus depending on the offer. Just looking for internet. PM me.
Member
Aug 26, 2008
386 posts
173 upvotes
Calgary, AB
DeltaSingh wrote: For $15 - $20 more you can easily get Shaw 150 or 300, really not a stretch by finding a field rep on Facebook or here.
Not for existing customer - the first day I spent 2 hours on hold until end of day, the next day their 888 number was always busy, started a chat, quoted competitors prices, was told their prices are great, and got cancelled on the spot. No counter offer or anything.
Penalty Box
Jun 1, 2016
1115 posts
2460 upvotes
vkrasov wrote: Not for existing customer - the first day I spent 2 hours on hold until end of day, the next day their 888 number was always busy, started a chat, quoted competitors prices, was told their prices are great, and got cancelled on the spot. No counter offer or anything.
Maybe re-read my post ...
Member
Aug 26, 2008
386 posts
173 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Telus and Shaw prices are very time sensitive, you were lucky to shop around during Shaw promo, so Telus budged to match.
Their promos happen quite regularly few times a year, but you need to be off the contract to jump on them.
Now that i am free, no agent offer anything cheaper than 75 for $60 in my area.

That much for 'easy' 300/$35 internet.
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 28, 2005
1673 posts
143 upvotes
How is Light Speed cable in Vancouver? Is there any throttling and do you actually get the speed you pay for?
Newbie
May 12, 2017
12 posts
Instead of Lightspeed, isn't it better to just go with their wholesaler AEBC instead? You get a first hand support instead of Lightspeed calling AEBC to solve your problem?
[OP]
Sr. Member
Oct 11, 2005
859 posts
1636 upvotes
Airdrie, AB
SnipperX wrote: Instead of Lightspeed, isn't it better to just go with their wholesaler AEBC instead? You get a first hand support instead of Lightspeed calling AEBC to solve your problem?
If you anticipate needing the support (and willing to pay a bit more for it), I suppose! So far (9 months in), I haven't needed any sort of tech support, and the only thing I contacted Lightspeed for was billing-related. Lightspeed's monthly prices (for comparable plans) is also cheaper, and they claim "forever pricing" (versus AEBC guaranteeing prices for 24 months only). I can't see any compelling reason to choose AEBC over Lightspeed, especially if you're switching from other ISP using the same infrastructure and hardware, which was my case.
Member
Mar 19, 2016
391 posts
317 upvotes
canada
Just wanted to mention can com internet. Available in BC AB ONT for sure. They have been really good for me since switching from Tek savy. They also have a Public mobile style of referral system.

I was looking at Lightspeed but the complaints scared me off. Can com has been solid with promised speeds and they even called me the first day to make sure everything was ok. Free modem rental, activation fee waived ect.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4141 posts
4246 upvotes
Vancouver
For people who were on Shaw and switched to Lightspeed, what was the actual process? Did Lightspeed mail you a modem and you swapped it for the Shaw modem on the day of cutover? Who arranged the cutover date with Shaw? Were there any problems?
[OP]
Sr. Member
Oct 11, 2005
859 posts
1636 upvotes
Airdrie, AB
Scote64 wrote: For people who were on Shaw and switched to Lightspeed, what was the actual process? Did Lightspeed mail you a modem and you swapped it for the Shaw modem on the day of cutover? Who arranged the cutover date with Shaw? Were there any problems?
While I didn't switch from Shaw to Lightspeed directly, I went through similar process when I switched from Shaw to VMedia. I opted to overlap my services a few days, in fact, so that I wouldn't be down without Internet (since multiple devices can co-exist on a node which feeds multiple houses in your neighbourhood, there's not requirement for one device/subscription to end in order for another to start). That's one thing that distinguishes cable services over those offered over copper pair (xDSL).

I simply ordered/received my replacement modem, got services scheduled for activation on a certain date. I called Shaw to tentatively cancel services 2 days after the start of my new services, and then let things fall in place. Had things gone sideways, I had an opportunity to bump or undo my cancellation request. Once I was happy with my new services, I let the Shaw service terminate, and then returned the rental modem to a Shaw retail outlet.

This put me in control of the actual "cut-over", since I also used my own router downstream of the modem (and while using Shaw's modem, I configured it in bridge mode, so that my router could just be placed behind any ISP's modem without much/any re-configuration on my part).

It was only a bit more of a challenge when switching from one ISP (VMedia) to another (Lightspeed) and re-using the same modem; this is when more coordination is required. For people in that boat, I'd recommend getting a second compatible cable modem, and activating new/overlapping services on that, and then keeping/selling the previous modem once services have been decommissioned.
Scote64 wrote: I'm torn between Can-Com and Lightspeed. Lightspeed is a bit cheaper for 75 mbps for a one-year term. Both seem pretty similar in terms of reviews.
Can-Com (along with a few others) was definitely on my radar when I was shopping for a new ISP. Since reliability seemed to be comparable across the board, it all boiled down to price/value for me. I really like the "forever pricing" aspect of Lightspeed, and counting on this being the case as long as I remain a customer. Granted, as of this writing I've only had 10 months of service with Lightspeed, but I'm really happy with them -- it's been solid service. The only time there was an issue was early February, when internet was out for a couple days. However, this wasn't isolated to Lightspeed, but was also experienced by a number of other ISPs using Shaw infrastructure, and it was due to a rockslide near Hope, BC, which severed the primary optic fibre backhaul/trunk connecting BC and regions east of the Rockies.

This didn't affect Shaw customers since they have redundant pathways that are used in the event of a failover, so that's where paying extra for Shaw, if you need the added reliability, might help.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
4505 posts
1945 upvotes
AB
Scote64 wrote: I'm torn between Can-Com and Lightspeed. Lightspeed is a bit cheaper for 75 mbps for a one-year term. Both seem pretty similar in terms of reviews.
I wanted to have the modem provided by the ISP, not to rent of buy my own. Can-Com gives the modem for free, and it's nice to know that if it breaks, they will replace it, kinda like unlimited warranty :)
Then there is also the small loyalty discount every year.
What is the exact price difference in your case between the two?
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4141 posts
4246 upvotes
Vancouver
ciuvak wrote: I wanted to have the modem provided by the ISP, not to rent of buy my own. Can-Com gives the modem for free, and it's nice to know that if it breaks, they will replace it, kinda like unlimited warranty :)
Then there is also the small loyalty discount every year.
What is the exact price difference in your case between the two?
Lightspeed: Internet 75 for $40/month (12 month initial commitment required, $50 without that), plus $3/month to rent a modem from them
Can-Com: Internet 75 for $50/month, includes modem rental

I would be willing to pay more for higher speed, but with both companies 75 is clearly the standout value in their offerings.

Shaw was charging me $65/month for 150, then bumped it to 300 with no price increase, then cut it to 100 at the same price last year. Now they want $95/month (prior to final cancellation negotiation).
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
4505 posts
1945 upvotes
AB
Scote64 wrote: Lightspeed: Internet 75 for $40/month (12 month initial commitment required, $50 without that), plus $3/month to rent a modem from them
Can-Com: Internet 75 for $50/month, includes modem rental
I would be willing to pay more for higher speed, but with both companies 75 is clearly the standout value in their offerings.
Shaw was charging me $65/month for 150, then bumped it to 300 with no price increase, then cut it to 100 at the same price last year. Now they want $95/month (prior to final cancellation negotiation).
If you are happy with 75, no point in considering Shaw.
But choosing between the other two it's a tough call. Were you planing to rent from Lightspeed?

Top