Expired Hot Deals

[Light Speed Internet] AB/BC/Shaw Territory - Cable 30 Internet for $32.95/mo, Cable 75 for $39.95/mo

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 1st, 2020 3:29 am
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
11600 posts
10580 upvotes
billford wrote: Thanks for the excellent info.

That first split into my home is at a plastic shaw box thats screwed into the outside of the house.
If I run a extra cable from the shaw box to inside the house, does shaw need to do this (since I have to access their box)? Or can I just access the box and run the cable in myself?
IIRC, outside box is locked. Since you have Shaw Cable only, I am not sure that Lightspeed will let you to do self-install Shaw Internet modem.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $36 5GB, $12 250MB, 2x $7 50min/50text, Fido $5 4GB data only plan with a free tablet,
Zoomer $36 loyalty 4GB plan, $0 FPL home phone. Have a better and better day!
[OP]
Oct 11, 2005
583 posts
826 upvotes
Calgary, AB
billford wrote: That first split into my home is at a plastic shaw box thats screwed into the outside of the house.
If I run a extra cable from the shaw box to inside the house, does shaw need to do this (since I have to access their box)? Or can I just access the box and run the cable in myself?
I would make any splits inside the house for various reasons. Do you have more than 1 outlet in the home? If so, it's possible you have splitters after the cable enters the home, so having some awareness of layout inside may help ensure picking a point with the best signal.

In any case, you could always just activate a modem with services and connect it where convenient, and see how it works. If it's sub-par, Lightspeed and other companies will typically have a Shaw tech dispatched (at no cost to you), and their job is to optimize the signal as needed (e.g. remove/replace splitters as needed, insert a drop-amp if needed, etc.). They're usually not allowed to do anything with the cable modem itself, however. I think (but don't remember for sure) there might've been a question about whether there is, or has been, cable internet services at your current address, and if not, they may dispatch a tech regardless. It's sort of up to you which route to go, depending on whether you anticipate a smooth self-install or not; if a tech is dispatched, at least they'll cover splitters, connectors, extra coax cable, etc.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
1267 posts
408 upvotes
I really like Lightspeed. Been with them for almost 2 yrs now and no issues to speak of. There was that landslide in BC that killed the pipe a week or so ago but obviously was outside of their control. I max out 75mbps download on Usenet easily.
Nov 28, 2018
31 posts
11 upvotes
I haven't heard this company. Checked their website which seems not that professional so I doubt their customer service and tech support. Currently with CIK Telecom that offers $49.99 for 75mbps unlimited internet with home phone service. Not bad with them so far, I may be not going to switch.Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
2193 posts
2226 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Considering switching to Lightspeed after reading this thread. I would go with internet 75 for $40/month.
I'm currently with Shaw internet 75 and paying $55/month so a $15 savings...
But I understand that I'd need.to either buy a modem or rent it??

If I cancel service with Shaw does that mean they take my current modem back?
[OP]
Oct 11, 2005
583 posts
826 upvotes
Calgary, AB
stovetop wrote: But I understand that I'd need.to either buy a modem or rent it??

If I cancel service with Shaw does that mean they take my current modem back?
I'd call Shaw up to find out whether your current modem is a rental or owned (plus find out how much notice you need to provide for cancelation). If it's a rental, then you're right, they'll need it to be returned. You might luck out and get Shaw to match/beat competitor rates in order to keep you with them, so nothing to lose by trying. If they can't beat the pricing and you want to go ahead and switch, you'll need buy a compatible modem or rent one of theirs for $2.95/mo. From the compatible modem list, you can often find one listed on Kijiji or eBay for a fraction of retail prices, and use that. If you're worried about downtime, then overlap your existing Shaw services with your new Lightspeed services.
Jun 1, 2016
990 posts
2051 upvotes
These are pretty terrible prices.

For $15 - $20 more you can easily get Shaw 150 or 300, really not a stretch by finding a field rep on Facebook or here.

Once you're off of the contract, negotiate.

I called up Telus, got 300 unlimited for $45. Got another $10 off for a Koodo line. Good for 24 months. Yeah, paying $35 for 300 unlimited price protected.

There are way better deals than this out there.
$28 Phone Plan:
  • Unlimited Data (25gb LTE)
  • Unlimited Talk / Text
  • Unlimited Roaming in US / Canada / Mexico
  • eSIM (allows dual SIM)
Jun 17, 2007
261 posts
215 upvotes
Terrace
DeltaSingh wrote: These are pretty terrible prices.

For $15 - $20 more you can easily get Shaw 150 or 300, really not a stretch by finding a field rep on Facebook or here.

I called up Telus, got 300 unlimited for $45. Got another $10 off for a Koodo line. Good for 24 months. Yeah, paying $35 for 300 unlimited price protected.

I find the whole point of these reseller is to AVOID having to make an annual call to shaw or telus to beg for a reduced bill. Half of the time they'll just say "sorry! You're already getting a great connection at a great price!" until you start mentioning these resellers or ask to disconnect. Not everyone wants to battle their provider every single time their bill jumps from $50 to $110. When I had Shaw, I was paying $81.76 monthly for a 25mbit connection + I had asked them to reduce me to 15mbit for $72 and they refused, because I used over 200gb per month. Isn't it insane to sit on hold for 1 hour just to be told that they can't do better than $82 on a 25mbit connection? This was in 2016. I switched to can-com, got a faster connection, and had my monthly bill reduced from $81.76 to $35.84.

I have no reason to have over a 30mbit connection as a single user personally, I cut down from 85mbit and absolutely nothing has changed in my day to day use. Most small household uses (ie: Facebook) don't notice any change from a 300mbit connection. Most random sites I downloaded from with a 85mbit connection could not sustain even over 50mbit without threading the download with third party browser plugins. I can't imagine how you could utilize those higher speeds without having a zoo of a household with 10+ people living in it.
[OP]
Oct 11, 2005
583 posts
826 upvotes
Calgary, AB
DeltaSingh wrote: These are pretty terrible prices.

The fact that you got a great rate doesn't make these "terrible prices". If the Shaw or Telus prices you cited were posted/advertised for everyone and were consistently competitive compared to the little guys like Lightspeed, then you'd have made your case.

But, I'm not here to convince you. Why don't you try and convince all of us readers that "there are way better deals than this out there" that are available to all consumers? For example, many of us aren't on Koodo, so getting the $10 off isn't feasible. I also have a feeling your Telus internet plan is highly YMMV, since the posted/advertised price is $85 for the first 24 months, and then $115 after that.

(Incidentally, I did try pursuing something from Telus but my community isn't serviced by them, and I've tried getting an acceptable rate from Shaw, but they couldn't come close, which is why I cut ties to them... so it's not like these are really just out there for the asking...)
Jun 1, 2016
990 posts
2051 upvotes
Elanzer wrote: I find the whole point of these reseller is to AVOID having to make an annual call to shaw or telus to beg for a reduced bill.
You're on RedFlagDeals, people drive two hours just to get a deal from Walmart. If you're that lazy and don't want to put in the work, $75 / month savings ($110 regular price - $35 discounted price) are the tax you pay. You can't expect to be spoonfed a good deal, that's not how it works.
Elanzer wrote: I have no reason to have over a 30mbit connection as a single user personally, I cut down from 85mbit and absolutely nothing has changed in my day to day use. Most small household uses (ie: Facebook) don't notice any change from a 300mbit connection. Most random sites I downloaded from with a 85mbit connection could not sustain even over 50mbit without threading the download with third party browser plugins. I can't imagine how you could utilize those higher speeds without having a zoo of a household with 10+ people living in it.
Try streaming a single 4k YouTube stream, 4k Netflix, 4k Plex. Try even updating your apps, backing up your apps. I think your age is showing. You don't use the speed, doesn't mean others should pay the same amount of $$ for a lower speed.
CalgaryBen wrote: The fact that you got a great rate doesn't make these "terrible prices". If the Shaw or Telus prices you cited were posted/advertised for everyone and were consistently competitive compared to the little guys like Lightspeed, then you'd have made your case.
Maybe re-read my post, I specify how to get the deals. I'm not going to link to a specific field rep.
CalgaryBen wrote: For example, many of us aren't on Koodo, so getting the $10 off isn't feasible.
I'm stating my specific case and how I got the price for others to replicate with a proven methodology. It's a negotiation tactic that I used, if it's not applicable to you, that sounds like a "you" problem.
CalgaryBen wrote: I also have a feeling your Telus internet plan is highly YMMV, since the posted/advertised price is $85 for the first 24 months, and then $115 after that.
That has no bearing on anything. I'm telling RFD that there are better deals out there by listing mine to prove it.
CalgaryBen wrote: so it's not like these are really just out there for the asking...)
Once again, I don't know why you expect to be spoonfed a deal ..
$28 Phone Plan:
  • Unlimited Talk / Text
  • eSIM (allows dual SIM)
Mar 28, 2019
5 posts
My shaw 2 year plan has expired today! Would like to get the best offer on internet. I live in Sullivan (Surrey) ,BC. Could go with either shaw again or telus depending on the offer. Just looking for internet. PM me.
Aug 26, 2008
357 posts
147 upvotes
Calgary, AB
DeltaSingh wrote: For $15 - $20 more you can easily get Shaw 150 or 300, really not a stretch by finding a field rep on Facebook or here.
Not for existing customer - the first day I spent 2 hours on hold until end of day, the next day their 888 number was always busy, started a chat, quoted competitors prices, was told their prices are great, and got cancelled on the spot. No counter offer or anything.
Jun 1, 2016
990 posts
2051 upvotes
vkrasov wrote: Not for existing customer - the first day I spent 2 hours on hold until end of day, the next day their 888 number was always busy, started a chat, quoted competitors prices, was told their prices are great, and got cancelled on the spot. No counter offer or anything.
Maybe re-read my post ...
$28 Phone Plan:
  • Unlimited Talk / Text
  • eSIM (allows dual SIM)
Aug 26, 2008
357 posts
147 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Telus and Shaw prices are very time sensitive, you were lucky to shop around during Shaw promo, so Telus budged to match.
Their promos happen quite regularly few times a year, but you need to be off the contract to jump on them.
Now that i am free, no agent offer anything cheaper than 75 for $60 in my area.

That much for 'easy' 300/$35 internet.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
1660 posts
139 upvotes
How is Light Speed cable in Vancouver? Is there any throttling and do you actually get the speed you pay for?