[OP]
Banned
Aug 21, 2006
629 posts
94 upvotes
GTA

Lighting Advice

Hello all

I have decided that I'm sick and tired of all the dullness with low light bulbs. I need lots of light in my room (i'm a student) so i decided to go with a 200 watt bulb which gave me ~3900 lumens of light. It was super bright and I loved it. But, after about half an hour, sparks came out of the floor lamp and I smelled some bad smoke. I think there was a small spark and something burned. Nothing dangerous. (I hope). The floor lamp fried and doesn't work anymore.

I hardly get any sunlight and it kills my motivation to get any work done. How should I solve this problem. I need a new floor lamp and a bright bulb. Any recommendations for good lighting conditions? Should I buy a new 200 watt Canadian tire bulb again or look for something else?

Please share your thoughts. :)

Note: Cost is a factor.

Thanku y'all
5 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
4797 posts
2185 upvotes
Ottawa
Are you limited to a floor lamp? If 200w fits the bill, why not a cheap, 2-bulb fixture with two 23w CFL bulbs? Should do the trick.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 25, 2004
5655 posts
149 upvotes
New Westminster
CaptSmethwick wrote: Are you limited to a floor lamp? If 200w fits the bill, why not a cheap, 2-bulb fixture with two 23w CFL bulbs? Should do the trick.
Each of these CFLs are 23 watts and generate 1600 lumens max
http://www.1000bulbs.com/23-Watt-Compac ... 00-Kelvin/

These CFSs are 23 watts and generate 1100 lumens
http://www.1000bulbs.com/23-Watt-Compac ... 00-Kelvin/

He is probably have to go to around 30Watts
http://www.1000bulbs.com/30-Watt-Compact-Fluorescents/
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6110 posts
1093 upvotes
Mississauga
Ever consider placing a CFL with a colour temperture of 6500K at maybe 25 watts or more? The call the bulb daylight but some daylights only have a colour temperature of 5000k. Read the label.
[OP]
Banned
Aug 21, 2006
629 posts
94 upvotes
GTA
Maymybonneliveforever wrote: Ever consider placing a CFL with a colour temperture of 6500K at maybe 25 watts or more? The call the bulb daylight but some daylights only have a colour temperature of 5000k. Read the label.
Yea. I was just researching into that. I need something with 5000k or more (which is full spectrum or greater i.e. daylight)
It starts to get expensive real soon with bulbs.

What about something along the lines of Fluorescent Tubes? What do you guys think?

If I buy bulbs, I'd have to buy floor lamps anyways, which further add to the cost.

edit: Ikea has 10 dollar floor lamps with a max 100 w capacity if anyone's looking to buy some
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6110 posts
1093 upvotes
Mississauga
The difference between the so called tubes and CFL is the CFL have a built in balast. One can get more expensive then the other should the balast go. Try a 6500k high wattage CFL and give it about 2 minutes to warm up and see if it sets a better mood for you.