Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
lightspeed.ca

Lightspeed.ca Internet BC/AB 75mb $41.95 150mb $69.95

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 17th, 2018 8:46 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2005
4612 posts
9051 upvotes
Abbotsford B.C.
RodgetheDodge wrote: So I'm currently with Surf Internet and want to upgrade my plan from 5Mbps to 25Mbps.
I have a Motorola SB5101U and am at 25Mbps (was at 15Mbps previously with the same modem). They will charge you the installation fee ($85) unless you pre-pay for a year
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2006
7423 posts
538 upvotes
Vancouver
sokolov wrote: It's a trick. You only get that price of you pay $10/month for modem rental. It's not possible to actually just pay $40/month.
It's $39.99 - $10 with coupon + $5 for modem (or $10 for wireless modem router) + tax so about $40 - $45 after tax.
Nov 19, 2017
511 posts
618 upvotes
Vancouver
Firestorm wrote: It's $39.99 - $10 with coupon + $5 for modem (or $10 for wireless modem router) + tax so about $40 - $45 after tax.
$5 for modem is not available any more. $10 for wired modem is the only one they offer.

So, $40 before tax or $45 after tax in addition to $30 processing fee ($70 discount from $100).
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2006
7423 posts
538 upvotes
Vancouver
timduncan wrote: I have Cannet and live in Surrey Guildford. Paying $30/month for Internet 75 and bought outright their wired modem for about $170. Been with them for about 3 months, no complaints so far other than swapping their initial crappy combo wireless modem.
Did they take care of cancelling with Shaw and transferring you to make it seamless? And I'm guessing $30 with modem purchase was an older sale or can I still purchase and have $40-$10 with no rental fee?
Oct 14, 2009
470 posts
83 upvotes
Firestorm wrote: Did they take care of cancelling with Shaw and transferring you to make it seamless? And I'm guessing $30 with modem purchase was an older sale or can I still purchase and have $40-$10 with no rental fee?
I have to cancel another third party provider on my own. I scheduled the cancellation during the weekend same as Cannet installation date. I was out of internet for almost a day waiting for them to activate the service after calling them after some delays from Shaw's end.

Here is the existing thread, you can ask the resident Cannet rep about their promos: cannet-unlimited-cable-internet-150m-49 ... 8-2106018/
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2011
3586 posts
1993 upvotes
Whitehorse
Heads up: AEBC adds "about $30" plus tax in shipping charges for the modem.
Dec 24, 2009
64 posts
23 upvotes
jcss wrote: I switched to Lightspeed's 150 and wow the speed is terrible and ping/jitter is off the charts... I am outta here in a month max.
been with lightspeed since 2016 and the issues are endless. I'm leaving, cant take it anymore
Nov 1, 2007
197 posts
9 upvotes
Buyer beware, I just signed up and it's a nightmare.

Paid for 75, haven't had over 30. It's gone down twice in the 5 days I've had it, and torrents are slow as ****.

As soon as they install fiber in my area I'm out.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2011
3586 posts
1993 upvotes
Whitehorse
I just found out that Distributel is also available on Shaw cable lines in BC and AB.
A 30 MBit/s line currently costs CAD 42 +tx, but they charge extra for a modem ($50 for a refurbished one or $100 for a new one, and you can alternatively rent it or rent-to-own it).

While they have the best privacy transparency record of all Canadian ISPs listed at
https://www.ixmaps.ca/transparency.php
they are NOT Linux friendly. They specify operating systems Windows Vista SP2 and OS 10.4 as minimum requirements.

$10 Shipping fee, and, eventually, a $60 fee for change of address.

The $50 Activation Fee and $30 installation fee are currently waived.
Nov 28, 2010
228 posts
150 upvotes
RodgetheDodge wrote: So I'm currently with Surf Internet and want to upgrade my plan from 5Mbps to 25Mbps. Their customer service says I need to buy a new modem from them for $89 that can accommodate the higher internet speed. The way he put it is that modem that they sold me is not designed to handle anything more than 5Mbps - the circuitry might overload from 25Mbps and burst into flames (!) I could decline to upgrade my modem but would do so at my own risk.

Any truth to this claim or is it just a scare/upsell tactic from Surf? I'll check my modem's make and model once I get home from work...
It's a lie for sure. I think you do need to upgrade the modem if you were going to 75mbps which is what I wanted with Surf. They charged an absurd price for the modem and they would rather see me cancel the service than provide any incentives to upgrade and stay. It was cheaper for me to go to Lightspeed's service for 75mbps which is meh but better than having Surf screw you over for being a loyal customer. In short to change plans with Surf, you need to pay a fee of $20 plus taxes to change the price plan, plus purchase a new modem of $126 plus taxes.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2011
3586 posts
1993 upvotes
Whitehorse
I have now signed up with Can-Com, and I can recommend it so far. I chose the 30/5 Mbit/s plan, and I'm even getting 35 MBit/s down and about 5.5 Mbit/s up. Not bad!

$43 includes a free modem rental, and there was no setup fee (switching from a live Shaw line). They shipped the modem quickly, and I had the switchover date within a week of my order. Can-Com even called me that day to make sure everything had worked - and it did. Just plug in the modem, wait a few minutes (have a cup of tea), and once the "online" LED is constantly on for a minute or two, you plug in your WiFi router.

When you eventually refer a new customers to Can-Com, they will credit you $1 per month to your bill, as long as they have that customer. There are additional loyalty discounts for continuing customers of up to 5%, but I'm not sure how that works.

I've run the netalyzr test, and everything seems fine. I've tested a number of common ports (tcp) for blocking, and none of them are blocked.
There is no IPv6.
Feb 15, 2005
627 posts
282 upvotes
Calgary
I called into Shaw loyalty dept and they matched 69.99. They said it would be indefinitely.

Very painless 5 min phone call.

I like shaw's support service and having Shaw go wifi.
Thanks op
Dec 28, 2006
478 posts
521 upvotes
Abbotsford BC
Shaw would match when I called. I signed up for Cannet(PAid) on the 19th was supposed to cancel shaw today called Cannet they have not even shipped my modem. Not a good start their India customer service is a huge waste of time also. Not happy
Koodo $40 6gb customer.
Aug 2, 2007
442 posts
258 upvotes
Seoul
When lightspeed is brought up, I always read a few posts about their unreliability. Although I had no intentions of using them, I was able to quote their price to telus and after a handful of separate phone calls, I was able to get internet 100 w/ unlimited data for $60 for 2 years. (BC) Good luck yall.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
5348 posts
4356 upvotes
Can decide between Can-com and AEBC. Can-Com seems reliable from the reviews but AEBC gives out free modem if prepaid 3 month in advance. Is AEBC as reliable as Can-Com?
Feb 25, 2011
49 posts
71 upvotes
North Vancouver
I've been on Lightspeed for almost two years now, 30/5 plan for $34.95/month. Haven't really had any issues other than their weird billing structure. At first, I got billed monthly, then every 3 months , then 2 months and now back to monthly. Had to really check the billing dates to make sure I wasn't being overbilled. Other than that, no problems.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2004
11150 posts
3859 upvotes
Montreal, QC
These guys may have to change their name soon lol, there's already a big POS system located in Montreal.

https://www.lightspeedhq.com

Edit: hmm wait, they have been around since 1994 while the POS company was founded in 2005 only, domain have been registered since 2000.
Nov 6, 2014
519 posts
417 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
WL1980 wrote: Can decide between Can-com and AEBC. Can-Com seems reliable from the reviews but AEBC gives out free modem if prepaid 3 month in advance. Is AEBC as reliable as Can-Com?
Can-Com modem is free without prepayment required and they pay postage to return it to them if you cancel. Suggest a phone call to each of them and get a feeling for their customer service ( I am on Can-Com ).
Jan 13, 2013
940 posts
691 upvotes
Vancouver
Can anyone comment on Can-Com for streaming/gaming during peak hours? This is where Lightspeed has failed miserably for me.
Nov 6, 2014
519 posts
417 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
biggerthanfun wrote: Can anyone comment on Can-Com for streaming/gaming during peak hours? This is where Lightspeed has failed miserably for me.
Have a 75 plan, right now speedtest is 82.2 / 8.6 on wifi. Lowest I have seen was around 68. Not a gamer but Netflix is great (in 1080). Actually I noticed Netflix responds faster since switching from Shaw 150, could be coincidence, my router or main routing but sometimes my Apple TV daisy would spin for literally minutes when first connecting and before starting show, now just a few seconds. My service went down after a day, turned out to be QOS on my router, and my problem, but the tech support was excellent. Have had a couple of brief outages, seems to be Cipherkey switching routers, but rock solid lately.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)