Hot Deals

[Lightspeed] Lightspeed Cable Internet 300 Mbps $49.95 + Free Modem Rental Limited Time Offer

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2019 4:21 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2178 posts
593 upvotes
Edmonton, AB

Lightspeed Cable Internet 300 Mbps $49.95 + Free Modem Rental Limited Time Offer

Deal Link:
Price:
$49.95
Expiry:
September 30, 2019
Retailer:
Lightspeed
For new and existing customers. I've been with Lightspeed for years and have been satisfied with their service because there hasn't been much interactions. I'm just happy it works without any interruptions. Inflation sucks but the good thing is Lightspeed have a price locked in guaranteed so you keep your price plan until you cancel it.

Update:

For modems, you can purchase one of theirs or a free rental of the Hitron Technologies CDA3-20. You only pay $12 for shipping.
I order mind off Amazon. https://www.amazon.ca/Hitron-CDA3-20-DO ... r=8-9&th=1
Last edited by NixxonExxo on Sep 4th, 2019 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[solicitation removed]
92 replies
Aug 18, 2004
174 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto
should note this is only in AB, BC, and select areas in north ON, SK, and MB for those note familiar with the company - they piggy back off Shaw networks.
Nov 6, 2014
220 posts
171 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
adraht wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2019 8:56 am
Looks pretty comparable to camcom
Except modem rental is extra, Cancom is included no charge.
Dec 25, 2008
116 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver
I am an existing customer of Lightspeed and agree - overall, they are quite decent for the cost. A couple questions I have about this deal:

1) Would $49.95 be the "locked in" rate? We currently have a 75Mbps package locked in at $39, but if this is the "forever rate", it sounds like a decent upgrade.
2) On the page itself, it says "(NO SET-UP FEE, Regular Price $79.95 Per Month – FREE USE OF NON-WIFI RENTAL MODEM)" -- does this mean if I don't have a compatible modem (which I don't), I could use one of theirs for free? Or is it only free with the regular price?
3) Anyone had any experience changing packages with Lightspeed? Has the process been relatively seamless?
Nov 6, 2014
220 posts
171 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
Twitch_City wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2019 10:26 am
I am an existing customer of Lightspeed and agree - overall, they are quite decent for the cost. A couple questions I have about this deal:

1) Would $49.95 be the "locked in" rate? We currently have a 75Mbps package locked in at $39, but if this is the "forever rate", it sounds like a decent upgrade.
2) On the page itself, it says "(NO SET-UP FEE, Regular Price $79.95 Per Month – FREE USE OF NON-WIFI RENTAL MODEM)" -- does this mean if I don't have a compatible modem (which I don't), I could use one of theirs for free? Or is it only free with the regular price?
3) Anyone had any experience changing packages with Lightspeed? Has the process been relatively seamless?
The way I read it it is "free use" but the modem is "rental" . Looking at their website I see rent the modem at $3.50 per month which prompted my earlier comment but I am not a Lightspeed customer so I can't confirm. I am a Cancom customer so I can confirm that their modems are supplied at no charge.
Oct 7, 2004
107 posts
17 upvotes
Twitch_City wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2019 10:26 am

I'm switching over to this plan myself from the 75Mb plan. The price is unlikely to move in the upward direction, since the rates that Shaw charges their resellers for access is regulated by the CRTC. The CRTC's recent rate change is what is allowing resellers to offer 300Mb for this cheap.

The modem rental is free, but you will need to pay $12 to get it shipped, or pick it up in Burnaby.

The change has been pretty easy so far. The only thing keeping me from having 300Mb right now is Shaw. When I called in yesterday, I was told the department in Shaw that handles these changes is closed on weekends and holidays, so my changeover should happen tomorrow. Otherwise, the process was me calling in saying I wanted to switch plans, confirming the shipping charge to your credit card, and sending in a confirmation email. Once you receive the modem, you call in, and they initiate the change with Shaw.
Dec 25, 2008
116 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver
mrbios wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2019 3:48 pm
The modem rental is free, but you will need to pay $12 to get it shipped, or pick it up in Burnaby.
That's awesome! Thanks for your observations. Do you know if the modem that Lightspeed is sending has the Puma chipset? Or, more specifcially, if there is one compatible with this plan that doesn't use it?
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2008
1140 posts
269 upvotes
Not bad and I was considering this, but Shaw offers $60mth + $250 credit for 2 years which works out to be the same as this. Plus u get Shaw open too
Dec 17, 2017
552 posts
566 upvotes
Surf internet has this for $43.99 no contract.
Dec 25, 2008
116 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver
Wow, the more I read about these Puma6 chipset issues - the less I want to get on board this deal. My family games pretty often online and I'm not sure this is worth switching away from our current modem (which has a Broadcom chipset).
Jun 23, 2019
36 posts
28 upvotes
I have used Lightspeed for years. I find the lowest speed at $23.95 a month works just fine for Netflix , other streaming and voip. If you are already on Shaw internet installation is free as it runs on the Shaw backbone. You just need your own router and they send you a modem for $10.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2178 posts
593 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
I'm looking to upgade as well from the 75 Mbps plan to 300 Mbps but I was forced to switch modem which I am not impressed about because I purchase my modem+wifi combo (Hitron CGNM-3550) not too long ago. It can reach speed of up to 1.2 Gbps but Shaw decides to put a speed restriction on this model to 150 Mbps. Shaw is just evil I tell you. Lightspeed is not going to charge me for the new modem but I have to pay $12 shipping plus go out and purchase a separate router. I don't blame Lightspeed but I will be filing a complaint to the CRTC against Shaw for being anti-competitive again.
mrbios wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2019 3:48 pm
I'm switching over to this plan myself from the 75Mb plan. The price is unlikely to move in the upward direction, since the rates that Shaw charges their resellers for access is regulated by the CRTC. The CRTC's recent rate change is what is allowing resellers to offer 300Mb for this cheap.

The change has been pretty easy so far. The only thing keeping me from having 300Mb right now is Shaw. When I called in yesterday, I was told the department in Shaw that handles these changes is closed on weekends and holidays, so my changeover should happen tomorrow. Otherwise, the process was me calling in saying I wanted to switch plans, confirming the shipping charge to your credit card, and sending in a confirmation email. Once you receive the modem, you call in, and they initiate the change with Shaw.
[solicitation removed]
Oct 7, 2004
107 posts
17 upvotes
Twitch_City wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2019 6:33 pm
That's awesome! Thanks for your observations. Do you know if the modem that Lightspeed is sending has the Puma chipset? Or, more specifcially, if there is one compatible with this plan that doesn't use it?
I just looked it up, and the CDA3-20 modem that they shipped me does use a PUMA6 chipset.

I just looked at the approved modem list on their site, and it looks like they have one compatible modem that uses a Broadcom chipset: SmartRG SR808AC. It doesn't seem to be an easily acquirable modem, though. And the rare, sketchy looking site I found one at, it was pretty expensive as well.

Edit: Looks like Lightspeed actually sells the SmartRG SR80AC now for $184.95

Edit: The Technicolor TC4400 is also a Broadcom chipset
Last edited by mrbios on Sep 3rd, 2019 2:31 am, edited 2 times in total.