• Last Updated:
  • Aug 5th, 2020 12:44 pm
[OP]
Feb 5, 2019
95 posts
32 upvotes

Lightspeed Post LSPD Outlook With Shopify News

http://business.financialpost.com/techn ... d-commerce

Was wondering what everyones opinion is regarding LSPD now that Shopify has official announce their release of a POS system. I hold positions in LSPD I'm currently in the red and have been DCA throughout this downturn. Not sure if I should accept loses and sell or see how this all plays out in a few weeks. I don't need the money now but don't want to lose it all as it is currently over 15% of my portfolio. Any insight or opinions are welcome and appreicated!
13 replies
Jan 6, 2015
992 posts
296 upvotes
shopify keep pumping their price to sky.Disappointed But Relieved Face
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2014
2338 posts
1793 upvotes
Ontario
JonahMan01 wrote: http://business.financialpost.com/techn ... d-commerce

Was wondering what everyones opinion is regarding LSPD now that Shopify has official announce their release of a POS system. I hold positions in LSPD I'm currently in the red and have been DCA throughout this downturn. Not sure if I should accept loses and sell or see how this all plays out in a few weeks. I don't need the money now but don't want to lose it all as it is currently over 15% of my portfolio. Any insight or opinions are welcome and appreicated!
I prefer SQ over both LSPD and Shopify, both as a stock and product. I use SQ for my business. It's cheap and intuitive. However, I think valuation is a bit off basis for all 3 right now. I am looking for a pull back on Q2 sales numbers and then I like SQ for a longer term play. Would have been a nice pick up under $40/share in March.
[OP]
Feb 5, 2019
95 posts
32 upvotes
I was thinking of selling all my LSPD and moving it to SQ. But hung up on thinking I'm selling to early just cause of the new break.
Aug 18, 2019
263 posts
184 upvotes
llpresident wrote: I prefer SQ over both LSPD and Shopify, both as a stock and product. I use SQ for my business. It's cheap and intuitive. However, I think valuation is a bit off basis for all 3 right now. I am looking for a pull back on Q2 sales numbers and then I like SQ for a longer term play. Would have been a nice pick up under $40/share in March.
I concur Smiling Face With Smiling EyesThumbs Up Sign
~ 👍teslanaire2bitcoinaireButStillCheapLurking@RFDForDeals✌️~
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16021 posts
8864 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
reps001 wrote: shopify keep pumping their price to sky.Disappointed But Relieved Face
Exactly. Seems to me that they are putting out news releases in order to keep moving the stock price higher. Of course, it's feeding those US analysts who have been pumping the stock for a year now and I expect that the pumping to continue but once it stops, watch out below. I prefer to invest in stocks that aren't heavily pumped as they have a much better foundation for steady performance in the longer term.
Dec 6, 2008
845 posts
240 upvotes
llpresident wrote: I prefer SQ over both LSPD and Shopify, both as a stock and product. I use SQ for my business. It's cheap and intuitive. However, I think valuation is a bit off basis for all 3 right now. I am looking for a pull back on Q2 sales numbers and then I like SQ for a longer term play. Would have been a nice pick up under $40/share in March.
I thought lightspeed was POS on cloud which was a differentiator
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2014
2338 posts
1793 upvotes
Ontario
itemsale2003 wrote: I thought lightspeed was POS on cloud which was a differentiator
How is that any different then Square or Shopify? The term "cloud" just means that the data is accessible via the internet.
Dec 6, 2008
845 posts
240 upvotes
llpresident wrote: Well if Lightspeed says they are better, then it must be true. I would invest 100% of your portfolio in this company if I were you.
Well if you trust lightspeed you should, but the point is no one knows. Based on the CEOs interview on BNN lspd caters to small businesses and shopify to larger corporations.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16021 posts
8864 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
itemsale2003 wrote: Based on the CEOs interview on BNN lspd caters to small businesses and shopify to larger corporations.
I think that's an oversimplification from the CEO. SHOP has over a million customers and while they have been moving more to large-cap customers, they started off in the small business area. Heck, a short seller in the past stated that many of SHOP's customers were fake in terms of small accounts that were just opened but had little to no volume in sales. SHOP has also been shoring up its offerings to the smaller customers by offering warehousing and logistics stuff - large corporations typically don't need that stuff.

Where LSPD has the advantage is that they started out as a POS system while SHOP was more of an e-Store solution. I'm assuming the reason why SHOP is suddenly announcing POS stuff is that they might be seeing demand from their e-Store customers to have a complete solution rather than one for the front of the store and another for the back. On the other hand, LSPD is trying to do more back of the store stuff which is a natural expansion to those bricks and mortar firms who have LSPD's POS and want to increase their online business.
Jul 20, 2019
145 posts
50 upvotes
craftsman wrote: I think that's an oversimplification from the CEO. SHOP has over a million customers and while they have been moving more to large-cap customers, they started off in the small business area. Heck, a short seller in the past stated that many of SHOP's customers were fake in terms of small accounts that were just opened but had little to no volume in sales. SHOP has also been shoring up its offerings to the smaller customers by offering warehousing and logistics stuff - large corporations typically don't need that stuff.

Where LSPD has the advantage is that they started out as a POS system while SHOP was more of an e-Store solution. I'm assuming the reason why SHOP is suddenly announcing POS stuff is that they might be seeing demand from their e-Store customers to have a complete solution rather than one for the front of the store and another for the back. On the other hand, LSPD is trying to do more back of the store stuff which is a natural expansion to those bricks and mortar firms who have LSPD's POS and want to increase their online business.
Shopify bears really got burned, proud of Canadian tech