Shopping Discussion

Like giant ice cream trucks, supermarkets on wheels get ready to roll into the neighbourhood

• Last Updated:
  • May 15th, 2020 8:51 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21000 posts
14911 upvotes
Waterloo, ON

Like giant ice cream trucks, supermarkets on wheels get ready to roll into the neighbourhood

Instead of waiting in line outside a supermarket, or trying to secure a slot with one of the grocery delivery apps — which have been slammed with demand during the COVID-19 lockdown — new startups and established companies alike are eager to offer Canadians a fresh alternative...

Toronto entrepreneur Frank Sinopoli has just launched Grocery Neighbour, a fleet of trucks that will each operate like a supermarket on wheels...

Then there's Sysco, one of the country's biggest distributors of food products to restaurants and hotels, which has just started to offer delivery to regular households with a new program called Sysco@Home...

Another way to get groceries at home: farmers markets across the country are rushing to fulfil demand in a new way, signing up with a three-year-old Canadian e-commerce platform called Local Line. It gives local farms from across Canada better technology, so that customers can pre-order their favourite mixed greens, fresh cheese, honey and other artisanal products online...
veni, vidi, Visa
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
8059 posts
4455 upvotes
Alberta
Two of my cousins work for Sysco. Sysco@Home is not cheap. The reason why they are doing this is because their warehouses are full and there's no place to send the stuff. Plus like everyone else, they are hurting for business and it helps by keeping layoffs lower. Most of the places they normally deliver to are closed right now.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21000 posts
14911 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
jackrabbit000 wrote: Two of my cousins work for Sysco. Sysco@Home is not cheap. The reason why they are doing this is because their warehouses are full and there's no place to send the stuff plus like everyone else, they are hurting for business and it helps by keeping layoffs lower. Most of the places they normally deliver to are closed right now.
Sure but the cost of groceries at convenience stores and at gas bars, etc. are also higher than at big box grocery stores. Not only more expensive but also the packages are restaurant-sized. You need a big freezer and a large family (or be willing to eat the same thing repeatedly.)

Still, the various delivery channels are trying to provide alternatives during COVID-19 lockdowns. People are willing to make sacrifices like paying more, having less choice, etc. in order to avoid dealing with the hordes at big box stores.

These experiments are also good if some survive after COVID-19 restrictions ease and are eventually removed.

P.S. Sysco's competition locally is doing similar things: Flanagan Foodservice
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
8059 posts
4455 upvotes
Alberta
True enough. But you can split the case with someone else. My cousin's can get it cheaper because they work there but we usually split it 2-4 ways like a case of 56 oranges or 10 kg of chicken wings.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21000 posts
14911 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
jackrabbit000 wrote: True enough. But you can split the case with someone else. My cousin's can get it cheaper because they work there but we usually split it 2-4 ways like a case of 56 oranges or 10 kg of chicken wings.
That's harder with C-19 physical distancing and travel restrictions. But sure, everyone is trying to make the best of a difficult situation.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2006
1738 posts
1268 upvotes
For myself, it is A BIG NO for having big trucks (over 15ft long) driving around or parked in my neighbourhood.
More open to smaller size grocery trucks like those used by couriers (FedEx, UPS, Purolator) at a fixed date/time routine.
LIVE LONG and suffer ...

:arrow: PEACE :arrowl:

My Missus said " I don't tell you how to spend your $$, Don't tell me how to spend your $$."

++AGING is the price we all pay for LIVING++
Jul 13, 2007
982 posts
511 upvotes
Toronto
I think the saddest part about the article is how farmers markets are expensive. They used to be cheap because they cut out the middleman. Then they became expensive because people started to value that and now I never go!
imoo2u wrote: For myself, it is A BIG NO for having big trucks (over 15ft long) driving around or parked in my neighbourhood.
More open to smaller size grocery trucks like those used by couriers (FedEx, UPS, Purolator) at a fixed date/time routine.
If you’re in Toronto, don’t worry. The city will make complicated and pointless rules to keep the idea dead.

Just like food trucks.

It’s a city priority to make sure businesses can’t get around paying high rents. What could go wrong?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8538 posts
3941 upvotes
Markham
HammerRFDer wrote: I think the saddest part about the article is how farmers markets are expensive. They used to be cheap because they cut out the middleman. Then they became expensive because people started to value that and now I never go!

If you’re in Toronto, don’t worry. The city will make complicated and pointless rules to keep the idea dead.

Just like food trucks.

It’s a city priority to make sure businesses can’t get around paying high rents. What could go wrong?
Lol

Our bankrupted center of universe
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3325 posts
610 upvotes
Thank you bylo. I sent an e-mail to the company asking that we be notified when/if the food trucks will be in our area of Toronto - or close by car to our area. I do not object to the Large Trucks, after all, we have garbage trucks, moving vans, construction trucks, ice cream trucks etc.

We also remember the milkman, the bread man, the vegetable man and heck, even the blocks of ice being delivered for the "refrigerator". I wish they still existed.

I think it is a great idea. The problem for us with Sysco is the amount you have to buy. There are just the 2 of us.

Thanks again. I realize that the service will not start until summer, but it is something.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21000 posts
14911 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
I appreciate what the dude is trying to say, but I got a good laugh out of his example:
You’re not going to find toilet paper or paper towels, which are big and bulky and take up too much space. Those aren’t the kind of items where you realize at 3 p.m. “Oh shoot, we’re all out.”
Really? Everyone does their business only in the mornings? And everyone checks their TP inventory level, er, beforehand?
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
14995 posts
12115 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Blanche123 wrote: Thank you bylo. I sent an e-mail to the company asking that we be notified when/if the food trucks will be in our area of Toronto - or close by car to our area. I do not object to the Large Trucks, after all, we have garbage trucks, moving vans, construction trucks, ice cream trucks etc.

We also remember the milkman, the bread man, the vegetable man and heck, even the blocks of ice being delivered for the "refrigerator". I wish they still existed.

I think it is a great idea. The problem for us with Sysco is the amount you have to buy. There are just the 2 of us.

Thanks again. I realize that the service will not start until summer, but it is something.
Funny how the world works ...
One thing “old” goes out of fashion
And something even older ... makes a return
Kids don’t want to be anything like their parents
But think their grandparents generation is cool

I was a kid in the late 50s
Tail end of the Milkman & Breadman era
A lifetime on ... and I miss them too
I think a Bakery could definitely find a niche with home delivery (Anytime ... not just during Covid)
Would love to see an assortment of artisan breads, bagels, cookies & donuts
Sold door to door / street to street
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3325 posts
610 upvotes
@PointsHubby - I too would love to see bread delivery to our home or at least to our street. Back in the day, the "regular" breads and sweeter bread type options, including donuts, jelly-rolls etc. were very good, fresh, and most importantly, not "Frankenfood" as in NO Wonder Bread meant to last forever. The bread man came to my aunt's street at least once, sometimes twice a week.

I really hope Grocery Neighbour serves our neighbourhood, or at least somewhere close to us in Toronto. It sounds as if they had a lot of input - mine included!

I wish that Farm Boy had the home delivery or pick-up options that Ottawa currently offers. I told our relatives in Ottawa about it and they intend to try it out. So far Farm Boy in Toronto is not offering the service.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
14995 posts
12115 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Blanche123 wrote: @PointsHubby - I too would love to see bread delivery to our home or at least to our street. Back in the day, the "regular" breads and sweeter bread type options, including donuts, jelly-rolls etc. were very good, fresh, and most importantly, not "Frankenfood" as in NO Wonder Bread meant to last forever. The bread man came to my aunt's street at least once, sometimes twice a week.

I really hope Grocery Neighbour serves our neighbourhood, or at least somewhere close to us in Toronto. It sounds as if they had a lot of input - mine included!

I wish that Farm Boy had the home delivery or pick-up options that Ottawa currently offers. I told our relatives in Ottawa about it and they intend to try it out. So far Farm Boy in Toronto is not offering the service.
Ya I think our Breadman made the rounds thru different towns & neighbourhoods on different days of the week.
As I was a kid ... I definitely remembered the sweet treats that my parents would make as “spontaneous” purchases ... esp in the summertime
Besides the homemade Donuts ... there were some commercial offerings too
Including Hostess Twinkies (first one I ever had )

These treats were things that otherwise wouldn’t make it onto the weekly grocery list ...

Same with the Milkman / Dairy Delivery ... chocolate milk, fudgesicles etc

As to Farm Boy... their Curbside Pickup is aimed at Essential Workers & Those At Risk vs everyone (believe this is still in effect for now)

We haven’t used it yet ... but it’s on our list of things to try (prob this week )

Right now the service is on Offer in Cornwall, Kingston, and Ottawa
New locations seem to be being added every week
So will prob expand to Southern Ontario shortly
Oct 18, 2019
183 posts
84 upvotes
GTA West
What about all the toxic getting into the foods from driving around. I think I would rather not buy from a truck on wheeles. And, Yeah, I know food gets delivered by trucks but this is different