Students

Likelihood of getting into vet schoolin Canada??

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 17th, 2016 11:08 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 5, 2016
3 posts
5 upvotes

Likelihood of getting into vet schoolin Canada??

I'm studying first year at UBC. I'm doing general sciences in hopes of being a vet one day but A lot of people have told me it's risky and a bio degree will be most useless if I fail to get in. I'd love to be a vet but I'm going into debt starting next year to finish my degree. am I making a mistake, how competitive is vet school in Canada?.. :?:
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2004
1113 posts
85 upvotes
I suggest you go to forums.premed101.com to look. I do think they have a sub forum for aspiring vets
Nov 11, 2014
31 posts
2 upvotes
Windsor, ON
I've tried applying to OVC and I worked at the primary health care vet clinic that the 4th years do their rotations at... I can help answer questions
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2013
1226 posts
229 upvotes
Mecca
Well considering there is only ONE school in Ontario, its pretty damn hard. I dunno about other provinces, but I'm sure its always quite difficult.
Nov 26, 2013
85 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto, ON
It is quite competitive and getting harder each year due to more applicants. I graduated from the OVC - let me know if you have any specific questions.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13849 posts
1337 upvotes
Yeah isn't the only school in Windsor?

I think if you want to get into the program you need to work out a strategy to get killer grades.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Nov 11, 2014
31 posts
2 upvotes
Windsor, ON
Syne wrote: Yeah isn't the only school in Windsor?

I think if you want to get into the program you need to work out a strategy to get killer grades.
No the only one in Ontario is in Guelph. They do post the stats of the applicants from previous years, so anyone interested in applying can see how they rank. Though obviously every year with a different applicant pool, the grades will differ slightly, but at least you have an idea
Aug 8, 2009
652 posts
59 upvotes
What province are you a resident of? Each of the vet schools each have specific admission limitations; U Calgary is Alberta only, OVC Ontario, U Sask BC and the other prairie provinces, etc.

It is pretty competitive, but if you are a good student and this is truly your dream you can make it happen. I suggest you look at the previous admission statistics and see how you compare.