Personal Finance

linking PC Financial with an account at an external bank - possible?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 14th, 2017 10:10 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 11, 2005
1741 posts
38 upvotes
Ajax, ON, Canada

linking PC Financial with an account at an external bank - possible?

Hey folks,

I have both a chequing and a savings account with PC Financial and I wanted to know if it's possible to link another bank account (or accounts - either a single chequing, saving or both chequing and savings) at another institution (i.e. Tangerine, Scotiabank, etc.)?

If so, what are the steps necessary to complete to process? The reason of this is that I want to transfer money between my PC Financial accounts and the other accounts that I have from a different financial institution. Would that be possible?
Less Negativeness, More Positiveness
Moins des négativités, Plus de positivités
Thread Summary
For a more updated tutorial on how to link external accounts to Simplii, see this thread.
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6004 posts
570 upvotes
SW Ontario
Yes, you can set that up at pcf. Can't remember if you have to call. But you need to mail them a cheque from your other account. Once set up you can make transfers to and from the other bank via pcf, always takes an extra day though.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2274 posts
1065 upvotes
Winnipeg
Go to online banking on your pc... Not your mobile app and not on your mobile phone.

Go to Transfers.... Add account... Accept the terms of the PAD by typing in your password. Full of your bank, transit and account number of your other bank account. Fooloe the steps. Note the address it asks you to mail a copy of a void cheque from your other account (they need a void cheque to link the account)

This will only work if you have cheques for your other account. PC will not link accounts that you don't have void cheque (unless something changed in the last year)
*Do you like someone's idea, post, or response? Why not consider giving them "thanks" and clicking the thumbs up to give them the credit they deserve.*
Aug 4, 2016
4 posts
I did this recently. The alternative is a bank letter with a bank stamp.

I went to the teller at my other bank, where I didn't want to pay for cheques. They ended up giving me a payroll/direct deposit form with account information that was also stamped. Sent it away, and it was enough for them.

Just make sure that you're entering the right account number at PCF, because it's not always clear from the other bank's site.
Nov 28, 2011
105 posts
130 upvotes
Vancouver
Are you doing a lot of transfers?
If not, you could try interac e-transfer.
I just used it to transfer funds from RBC to CIBC (at no charge).
Works great and fast.....
Nov 6, 2015
684 posts
277 upvotes
Guelph, ON
Between Tangerine and PCF I set up the link on the Tangerine side, since I had PCF cheques I could send to Tangerine but not the other way around (this was back in the "ING" days and they didn't have cheques).
May 5, 2012
338 posts
114 upvotes
CALGARY
I just did this recently to link my CIBC with PC. I used a stamped form from CIBC. Make sure you write your customer number on the piece of paper as well. I mailed mine in and a month later it was still not added so I called to inquire about it. The Rep told me to just go into a branch and give them the form. It was linked in less than 5 business days.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
4073 posts
3167 upvotes
midas666 wrote:
Aug 7th, 2016 1:15 pm
eTransfers are not free with PCF.

Fastest way is still with a cheque if your cheque clearing limits on the other end are high enough.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2005
2833 posts
594 upvotes
Toronto
superfresh89 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2016 8:50 am
midas666 wrote:
Aug 7th, 2016 1:15 pm

Fastest way is still with a cheque if your cheque clearing limits on the other end are high enough.
So sad, but so true. It's "cheaper" for a friend to write me a cheque while standing next to me for me to deposit it using my phone than it would be to just e-transfer or interac it over.
Canadian banking is still pretty sad.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
5550 posts
425 upvotes
Toronto
need another linked as well, you would think in this day and age they could accept the PAD through online portal vs mailing ones direct deposit information...
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
2997 posts
624 upvotes
Toronto
superfresh89 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2016 8:50 am
Not anymore! It's free now with Simplii.
Mar 23, 2004
37437 posts
3879 upvotes
Markham
Troydabes wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:06 pm
Not anymore! It's free now with Simplii.
You are quoting a post back from 2016...
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」