• Feb 2nd, 2020 8:31 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
15412 posts
16609 upvotes

Linus of LTT: Retirement Considerations

What are the thoughts on Linus potentially retiring or stepping back from his burgeoning enterprise?

He's 33 years old, prime age for empire building, but he seems to be going through an unexamined midlife crisis.

The lack of business coaching and mentorship seems to be catching up with him.

So with my opinions shared, what are your thoughts on this Linus airing?
30 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
18966 posts
1985 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
His "empire" is pretty much a one trick pony. I'm just making an educated guess as to the bulk of his revenue is from sponsors in addition to the YouTube advertising but beyond this, what else is there that LTT Media can branch out on? I know he is involved in that platform sharing thing Plane or something but that's just more of the same.

He's made a lot of money throughout the years. Like athletes, they won't be hurting for money. I guess he could become a consultant and do that 9-5 thing for a tech company. I'm really left scratching my head as to how these YouTube reviewers can muster the motivation and keep doing the same thing day in day out. Money is no doubt good, but they must have days when they'd rather flip burgers just to break the monotony.
Penalty Box
May 15, 2016
6142 posts
2072 upvotes
Retiring young is everyone's dream.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
4017 posts
782 upvotes
West Side GTA
I love watching this guy...but he's definitely got to get his life in order first and to take care of himself (e.g., go on a vacation, take a break, etc.) do what you need to do to help yourself and not get burned out...It's like the old cliche...no one looks after yourself better than yourself... Seems like not a mid life crisis but certainly anxiety (which so many people have...but he's at a fragile point for sure based upon body/facial expressions imho). Hope his family and him are able to sort it out and all the best to him as I always find him entertaining.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
4973 posts
2089 upvotes
Supercooled wrote: His "empire" is pretty much a one trick pony. I'm just making an educated guess as to the bulk of his revenue is from sponsors in addition to the YouTube advertising but beyond this, what else is there that LTT Media can branch out on? I know he is involved in that platform sharing thing Plane or something but that's just more of the same.

He's made a lot of money throughout the years. Like athletes, they won't be hurting for money. I guess he could become a consultant and do that 9-5 thing for a tech company. I'm really left scratching my head as to how these YouTube reviewers can muster the motivation and keep doing the same thing day in day out. Money is no doubt good, but they must have days when they'd rather flip burgers just to break the monotony.
"YouTube Money" isn't as good as it used to be.

I don't know Linus (and haven't watched the video) but I would imagine that seeing your income drop with a family to support (?) is not easy to handle.

Another person I watch, AngryVideoGameNerd, had an issue at some point as well. He wanted to end his series and move on. But with a family to support, it is not easy to make a change. People did not want to watch other stuff he made and at the time he couldn't get a job that paid as well.

I think for a lot of YouTubers they suffer the same issues. The reduction in money received from Ads has impacted many. In addition, a lot of them expected YouTube to lead to more .... but it hasn't for the vast majority.

I suspect that there are a lot of long term content creators who are coming to the same realization.

They can't afford to take a break and now making videos is a job to pay bills.

I think making videos should help a creators overall business in other ways and not necessarily their only income source. There are a couple that seem to have realized this, but for those who started making videos, or make videos for entertainment purposes it's not easy to change their ways.

YouTube started in 2006 and many of those who make videos for a living have done such for a few years now .... depressed or disenfranchised creators are definitely out there.

Linus isn't the only one.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
18966 posts
1985 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
I do f want to come off looking salty but Linus and his peers are way better off than people who do the daily grind. It’s like the meme where millionaires pretend to care about the lower class while laughing and drinking a cognac and smoking a cigar. These guys lead a charmed life for sure.

My point was it must be soul crushing to have to do the same thing every day. I get bored watching their videos imagine how they must feel to make a living from it.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
19112 posts
3310 upvotes
Toronto
I imagine Linus is like a lot of the rest of us who grew up really into PCs and the hobby lost all excitement for him about 10 years ago. He's probably been going through the motions without actually caring for any of it, and it's finally gotten to be too much for him.

I know I haven't needed to change a single thing after building my last PC in 2010 and it's kept up completely fine with all modern games, photo editing, etc. I haven't paid any attention to this stuff since I tightened the last thumbscrew and I don't feel I've missed out on anything at all. Long gone are the days of the Intel Retail Edge program getting you new hardware that blows your old stuff out of the water and gives your PC an entirely new feel.
Last edited by Piro21 on Jan 25th, 2020 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
5721 posts
4360 upvotes
Supercooled wrote: My point was it must be soul crushing to have to do the same thing every day. I get bored watching their videos imagine how they must feel to make a living from it.
10 years in, I don't think there are anything new or exciting to cover.

Fact is he pave the road to get away from the camera for a while but he is still in most of the videos. Something tells me that the click rate must be way lower when he is not there. So he probably had to keep doing it to keep everyone paid.

It is one thing to be a lone youtuber and a hand full of editors. Its another when you have a payroll of 20+ guys that live and die on you making dumb faces on youtube thumbnails.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
11805 posts
2347 upvotes
Supercooled wrote: His "empire" is pretty much a one trick pony. I'm just making an educated guess as to the bulk of his revenue is from sponsors in addition to the YouTube advertising but beyond this, what else is there that LTT Media can branch out on? I know he is involved in that platform sharing thing Plane or something but that's just more of the same.

What I like about Linus is his transparency. He made a video breaking down how LMG makes money.

It's a bit dated, but much of the revenue is likely still sponsorship. I would assume the YT revenue shrunk with all the "ad-pocalypse", but his merch and newer projects like Floatplane and Techlink seem like they are doing well.
Piro21 wrote: I imagine Linus is like a lot of the rest of us who grew up really into PCs and the hobby lost all excitement for him about 10 years ago. He's probably been going through the motions without actually caring for any of it, and it's finally gotten to be too much for him.

I know I haven't needed to change a single thing after building my last PC in 2010 and it's kept up completely fine with all modern games, photo editing, etc. I haven't paid any attention to this stuff since I tightened the last thumbscrew and I don't feel I've missed out on anything at all. Long gone are the days of the Intel Retail Edge program getting you new hardware that blows your old stuff out of the water and gives your PC an entirely new feel.
It wasn't his passion for tech that made him think of retirement, but the pressing weight of making sure the business keeps making money, so that his staff can make a living and that it leaves him with no time for his own family or life. If anything he's even more into tech now than before because he has now got pretty much any tool he needs to build whatever he wants. Like watercooling his Red camera.

Side note: Please give you PC a good dusting. Even with a case that has positive pressure and air filters, PC internals get really dusty over time.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2010
1626 posts
305 upvotes
BC
Looks like a depression to me.
If you tell the truth you don’t have to remember anything. – Mark Twain
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
6622 posts
946 upvotes
Ottawa
Piro21 wrote: I imagine Linus is like a lot of the rest of us who grew up really into PCs and the hobby lost all excitement for him about 10 years ago. He's probably been going through the motions without actually caring for any of it, and it's finally gotten to be too much for him.

I think the problem he's facing is what many people do when they have a passion but they're trying to turn into a profitable business. By now he knows exactly what he needs to do to be profitable. When he's making videos, he knows he's running a 30+ person company and has to make them according to what gets the most views, which may not be on the subjects and manner he likes.

I was watching Doug Demuro (another famous Youtuber, but for cars) answer questions, and someone asked him why he didn't review older cars more often. He admitted he'd really like to, but he always had to keep in mind that he was running a business and that those videos just don't as many views as videos about newer cars.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2011
1045 posts
1097 upvotes
ConsoleWatcher wrote: he's running a 30+ person company
That's a lot of people to feed compared to Doug DeMuro (which is probably 2 at most) or Unbox Therapy (5/6??? personnel crew). The growth rate is unsustainable and hits a plateau and you constantly worry about running out of things to film.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
18966 posts
1985 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
ConsoleWatcher wrote: I think the problem he's facing is what many people do when they have a passion but they're trying to turn into a profitable business. By now he knows exactly what he needs to do to be profitable. When he's making videos, he knows he's running a 30+ person company and has to make them according to what gets the most views, which may not be on the subjects and manner he likes.

I was watching Doug Demuro (another famous Youtuber, but for cars) answer questions, and someone asked him why he didn't review older cars more often. He admitted he'd really like to, but he always had to keep in mind that he was running a business and that those videos just don't as many views as videos about newer cars.
Matt Farrah is about to launch his own specialized garage storage business in LA and he built it all from scratch. Seems like a big financial committment and he either has heavy backers or come from wealth. Either way, he's one of the car people that doesn't seem to be doing a whole lot but seems to have money for things like this? Rob Ferretti Mr Spaghetti has his exotic renting company but his garages look pretty humble even downtrodden compared to what Farrah's doing. I only mention Rob because they are friends and kind of started together according to Rob who said Matt started running with him as a film guy in the early days. Of course there's AMMO NYC, Larry the detailer who has been life long friends with Matt.

That aside, it's interesting to see the 30+ employee roster for LTT. I thought he had about 10 from all the videos I've seen. But one thing I remember reading was some people left the company because his editors/writers, researchers, et cetera were only making a little over minimum wage so it's not like they're being paid top dollars. Still, maintaining a 30+ roster can add up, that's for sure.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2463 posts
1360 upvotes
He's probably a lot like where he got his start, NCIX. Really innovative at first, but the empire ended up becoming too big, and quite frankly, with so little "new" in the world of hardware and computers to receive money promoting, keeping the empire alive could be very difficult.

Just like NCIX, wouldn't surprise me to wake up a few years from now with a the outfit having made a bankruptcy filing with every personal and corporate credit card maxxed out, the rent 6 months behind, and all those people laid off. His formerly adherent clientele spending their excess cash not on video gaming stuff, but rather, on asswipes for their newborns.

Anyone remember "The Computer Paper" that used to be in those free newspaper boxes all around downtown Toronto? Or Chris Sheppard's big street raves? That was a fun era, but when the recession hit, that stuff was all gone.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)