Investing

Liquid short term investment

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 21st, 2021 9:06 am
[OP]
Jr. Member
Mar 25, 2012
197 posts
28 upvotes
Ottawa

Liquid short term investment

Hello all,

I've got 100,000 to invest short term - probably less than six months. I estimate that in about six months or so I might need the cash. Until then, how do you advise I invest the 100,000 in a very low risk way. Currently I have 75,000 of the money in TD direct investing TFSA and the rest in my savings account.

Thanks!
17 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2011
1527 posts
986 upvotes
Montreal
High Interest Savings Account is pretty much the only answer given your parameters.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Mar 25, 2012
197 posts
28 upvotes
Ottawa
TD has an "epremium" account that pays 0.1%. I'm assuming that's 0.1 annual compounded daily. Is that correct? If so, at the end of six months I'd have made $50 in interest.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Mar 25, 2012
197 posts
28 upvotes
Ottawa
Maybe I should consider taking slightly more risk such as putting 5% of it in a high return high risk stock or ETF and leaving 95% in cash?
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2011
1527 posts
986 upvotes
Montreal
StTakla1 wrote: Maybe I should consider taking slightly more risk such as putting 5% of it in a high return high risk stock or ETF and leaving 95% in cash?
That is the whole question and why there is no one answer. Completely dependent on so many factors, your risk tolerance, etc.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 21, 2007
6651 posts
3039 upvotes
Winnipeg
throw 99k into a HISA.. yolo 1k into a penny stock hopefully make 20% then cash out. then throw it into HISA again. Done.
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 1, 2013
5859 posts
684 upvotes
faken wrote: throw 99k into a HISA.. yolo 1k into a penny stock hopefully make 20% then cash out. then throw it into HISA again. Done.
Or you can buy 1K of Bitcoin as it seems to be the bubble de jour right now.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 21, 2007
6651 posts
3039 upvotes
Winnipeg
CheapScotch wrote: Or you can buy 1K of Bitcoin as it seems to be the bubble de jour right now.
I did that. I put $500 into shakepay and bought at $36k.. 100% return now Face With Tears Of Joy
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 1, 2013
5859 posts
684 upvotes
faken wrote: I did that. I put $500 into shakepay and bought at $36k.. 100% return now Face With Tears Of Joy
Did you cash out?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 21, 2007
6651 posts
3039 upvotes
Winnipeg
CheapScotch wrote: Did you cash out?
No.. i think it's expected to hit 150k-200k by end of September
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 1, 2013
5859 posts
684 upvotes
faken wrote: No.. i think it's expected to hit 150k-200k by end of September
What you have done in essence is walk into a casino, buy $500 of chips, bet on black at the roulette wheel, win the bet, and let it ride (i.e. bet the $1000 in chips you now have on black again). You may think it's expected that the next spin of the wheel will come up black again, but you should wait to cash out your chips before you announce the return on your "investment".
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 21, 2007
6651 posts
3039 upvotes
Winnipeg
CheapScotch wrote: What you have done in essence is walk into a casino, buy $500 of chips, bet on black at the roulette wheel, win the bet, and let it ride (i.e. bet the $1000 in chips you now have on black again). You may think it's expected that the next spin of the wheel will come up black again, but you should wait to cash out your chips before you announce the return on your "investment".
What are you talking about... Face With Tears Of Joy
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 1, 2013
5859 posts
684 upvotes
faken wrote: What are you talking about... Face With Tears Of Joy
Bitcoin is an economic bubble. As with all economic bubbles, there will be winners and losers. I am not particularly interested about how much you are up right now, but am curious to see if you manage to get out before the bubble pops .... or not.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 21, 2007
6651 posts
3039 upvotes
Winnipeg
CheapScotch wrote: Bitcoin is an economic bubble. As with all economic bubbles, there will be winners and losers. I am not particularly interested about how much you are up right now, but am curious to see if you manage to get out before the bubble pops .... or not.
I have nothing to hide I put $1000 in at $36,250 CAD. It's at 70,118.77 as I type this. $934.00 up.
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
Deal Fanatic
Aug 17, 2008
5025 posts
4419 upvotes
CheapScotch wrote: Bitcoin is an economic bubble. As with all economic bubbles, there will be winners and losers. I am not particularly interested about how much you are up right now, but am curious to see if you manage to get out before the bubble pops .... or not.
An asset bubble perhaps, but not an "economic" bubble.

The index fund or funds that you purportedly hold, but are afraid to disclose, are also an asset bubble. What makes you think your holdings are immune from any asset deflation? Your broad market and investment knowledge? Face With Tears Of Joy
You don't know, what you don't know.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 1, 2013
5859 posts
684 upvotes
MrMom wrote: An asset bubble perhaps, but not an "economic" bubble.
IMO, an asset bubble is just another name for an economic bubble

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_bubble
MrMom wrote: The index fund or funds that you purportedly hold, but are afraid to disclose, are also an asset bubble.


You could make an argument for this, but it will be an uphill battle to make it. The underlying assets of a low fee broadly diversified portfolio of index funds unquestionably has intrinsic value, whereas BTC is simply a string of numbers.
MrMom wrote: What makes you think your holdings are immune from any asset deflation? Your broad market and investment knowledge?


Yet another strawman :rolleyes: , and we are getting way off topic here. The point I am trying to make is that BTC would be a suitable asset for the strategy @faken is suggesting, but so would betting on black on a roulette wheel. And just to remind you, the OP is talking about a 6-month time frame, so you would need to cash out the BTC at that time.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2013
5420 posts
2533 upvotes
hollywood pk
@MrMom meet @CheapScotch (and his twin @FrancisBacon whenever they are around)) who are both adamant noncoiners who continue to spew doom and gloom over BTC buyers as its as doubled (since I started watching)...and as billons get poured in since then, they continue to preach doom and gloom, although never releasing a timeframe...kind of like the second coming (not meant to offend the religious type) ...its coming (like chicken little) ...but when?...will it be the only thing that fails? or will everything turn upside down?..since they both are so smart yet never answer the "when"? or "why"?

when? when ? ...after I am dead?...then they will be right and say "I told you so"...but they will be dead by then too, cuz I believe they are both old farts like me :)

Top