Credit Cards

List of credit cards friendly to people who don't qualify for Visa Infinite/MC World/MC World Elite; only good cards

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2023 2:25 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Gtaphotog wrote: Firstly what's up with all the replies to posts from months ago and secondly the part about Home Trust being lenient and likely giving more credit than PCF or CTFS is totally incorrect.

Home Trust is notorious for giving low limits.
DP:
  1. HTP CL $3k
  2. CTFS CL started at $2.5k (apparently this is a magic number for many of us with decent credit) on Cash Advantage, now at $8k
  3. PCF MC WE just got $5k. Was disappointed for a premium card, since I heard ppl started with $10k+. Wanted to use this for the intro BT offer. Will still use it, but somewhat disappointed

There's no absolute winner in who gives the most generous CL, whether upfront or long haul. I'd say trends have given us more CL over time at CTFS, and more upfront at PCF, with HomeTrust somewhere in the middle. Some have got CLI's at HomeTrust already, but I probably use my HomeTrust card too infrequently to get CLI's.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
7988 posts
11548 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote: DP:
  1. HTP CL $3k
  2. CTFS CL started at $2.5k (apparently this is a magic number for many of us with decent credit) on Cash Advantage, now at $8k
  3. PCF MC WE just got $5k. Was disappointed for a premium card, since I heard ppl started with $10k+. Wanted to use this for the intro BT offer. Will still use it, but somewhat disappointed

There's no absolute winner in who gives the most generous CL, whether upfront or long haul. I'd say trends have given us more CL over time at CTFS, and more upfront at PCF, with HomeTrust somewhere in the middle. Some have got CLI's at HomeTrust already, but I probably use my HomeTrust card too infrequently to get CLI's.
HT gave me $500 CL Face With Rolling Eyes
I have only made one purchase on it so far since it's only a backup card but I'm curious if they'd give me a CLI.
Feb 7, 2019
76 posts
23 upvotes
SK/ON
Gtaphotog wrote: HT gave me $500 CL Face With Rolling Eyes
I have only made one purchase on it so far since it's only a backup card but I'm curious if they'd give me a CLI.
PC & CT started me with 500 whereas HT gave me 750. HT denied in mid Jan and approved in mid March. Point being they are lenient and they didn't deny after 2 months.
Last edited by medadabhoy on Jun 26th, 2019 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 31, 2015
121 posts
64 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
titaniumtux wrote: DP:
  1. HTP CL $3k

Not only for decent credit. I had a bankruptcy on my record and CTFS gave me 2.5k to start, and went up to 11k, with the bankruptcy on record. I was using it alot though, and carrying a balance, so maybe thats why.

I paid that off and closed it. When i applied again, they gave me 1k limit. Grinning Face

Just wanted to give a DP coz u said people with decent credit score Grinning Face
Mar 31, 2015
121 posts
64 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
Has anyone seen Apkoutas? he is my fav and reason for reading this thread. Grinning Face

My bad, sry, he is on another one Grinning Face
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
9301 posts
10316 upvotes
Bull Dog wrote: It still says on their web site they give 20% bonus dollars to members for Odyssey World Elite, I just checked
https://www.desjardins.com/ca/personal/ ... /index.jspDesjardins website
I was talking about the Gold Odyssey.
Jul 3, 2019
912 posts
503 upvotes
Poutinesauce wrote: Wow, Desjardins has sneakily removed the 20% bonus for the Odyssey card.

I swear they are worse penny pinchers than RBC and TD.
To be fair, it’s really not a good time to deal with Desjardins at the moment. Perhaps it is related to the recent news?
Apr 23, 2009
692 posts
184 upvotes
GTA
I’m looking for a card with free airport lounge access without annual fee or FYF. Are there any cards discussed here that cover lounge access? Thanks.
Deal Guru
Aug 24, 2016
11668 posts
14020 upvotes
Win-ter-peg
emiabe wrote: I’m looking for a card with free airport lounge access without annual fee or FYF. Are there any cards discussed here that cover lounge access? Thanks.
For a free access to a lounge, I doubt you’ll find a no fee card with that.
Membership only maybe, but that’s about it.
For FYF cards, there’s BMO WE cards that come with X amount of actual passes.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2014
1020 posts
1206 upvotes
emiabe wrote: I’m looking for a card with free airport lounge access without annual fee or FYF. Are there any cards discussed here that cover lounge access? Thanks.
Considering that a Priority Pass costs US$99/year and then each visit costs US$32 per person per visit, the chances that you can get free airport lounge access from a card without annual fee or FYF is close to nil as it's an expensive perk. The closest one I can think of that offers something similar is the Rogers World Elite MasterCard but you need to qualify for its income requirements. The Rogers WE MC won't give you free lounge access, but what it does give you is the LoungeKey membership free and then each time you want to use a lounge, it costs USD$27 per person per visit.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2018
1488 posts
1269 upvotes
deltatux wrote: Considering that a Priority Pass costs US$99/year and then each visit costs US$32 per person per visit, the chances that you can get free airport lounge access from a card without annual fee or FYF is close to nil as it's an expensive perk. The closest one I can think of that offers something similar is the Rogers World Elite MasterCard but you need to qualify for its income requirements. The Rogers WE MC won't give you free lounge access, but what it does give you is the LoungeKey membership free and then each time you want to use a lounge, it costs USD$27 per person per visit.
it's USD 32 now
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2014
1020 posts
1206 upvotes
terracotta92 wrote: it's USD 32 now
If you're referring to the LoungeKey access fee, it's still listed as US$27 on my MasterCard Airport Experiences app which provides the LoungeKey access itself...
Apr 23, 2009
692 posts
184 upvotes
GTA
coolintheshade wrote: For a free access to a lounge, I doubt you’ll find a no fee card with that.
Membership only maybe, but that’s about it.
For FYF cards, there’s BMO WE cards that come with X amount of actual passes.
Sounds like BMO WE comes with free passes, so you don't need to pay anything to access lounges ... does it have alternatives to min income, e.g. assets?
Are there any Visa Infinite/MC World/MC World Elite that allow assets as an alternative to income requirement?
Deal Guru
Aug 24, 2016
11668 posts
14020 upvotes
Win-ter-peg
emiabe wrote: Sounds like BMO WE comes with free passes, so you don't need to pay anything to access lounges ... does it have alternatives to min income, e.g. assets?
Are there any Visa Infinite/MC World/MC World Elite that allow assets as an alternative to income requirement?
There’s usually an “assets under management” back door you can use, but that likely requires these assets to be at the issuing bank.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2014
1020 posts
1206 upvotes
Jimboski wrote: Thinking of either Rogers/Fido Mastercard or SimplyCash American Express. Both are 1.25% for all purchases but not sure which one has more benefits, looks like the SimplyCash one? I do have a Rogers bill but it's not that much so 2% on it isn't required..
Ever since the Rogers Platinum/Fido MasterCard came out, the AMEX SimplyCash simply isn't competitive as AMEX lacks the acceptance that MasterCard has. The 3% cashback on foreign transaction also plays in its favour as you're dinged 2.5% on FX fee regardless on both cards, at least the Rogers/Fido card helps cover that for you.

Plus, the AMEX SimplyCash used to come with collision damage waiver which they removed, which makes this card even less competitive.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)