List of household items more expensive at Costco

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2019 4:45 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4735 posts
5331 upvotes

List of household items more expensive at Costco

Like many other people, I shop at Costco. I have started noticing a trend whereby items that used to be cheaper at Costco are no longer the case (items can be found cheaper or at the same price somewhere else). While I appreciate everyone shops at Costco for different things, I am hoping to try and stick to items I believe applies to most people. I am wondering if we can use our collective brainpower to add to this list.

1) Organic Coffee (Zavida) - at Costco is $17.99 right now for 1 bag of 907g.
-Amazon: https://www.amazon.ca/Lavazza-Tierra-Or ... ay&sr=8-11
Thus, this works out to the same when both items are not on sale. That said, I picked up Lavazza at Amazon just the other day for another $5 off.

2) Avocado Oil: $20.99 for 1L at Costco.(EDIT I made a mistake. Avocado oil is actually 13.99 for 1L at Costco, so it's actually cheaper at Costco. Thanks for catching my mistake.)
-Walmart: $14.97 for 750mL
Thus, this works out to the same price/mL at both; however, I have never seen this go on sale at Costco, and see it a few $ off here and there at Walmart.

3) Someone pointed this out to me on RFD the other day. Avoid buying windshield washer fluid at Costco. It's almost always more expensive than on sale at CDN tire.
4) Furnace Filters - 3M or not, it's ALWAYS cheaper to buy at furnacefilters.ca or elsewhere. Generally with the latter, it's around $2-$3/filter for Merv 11, which is comparable to 3M 1900 line (IIRC)
5) Rack of Lamb: Almost always more expensive at Costco versus your run of the mill grocery store
6) "Wild" seafood - is always more expensive at Costco because none of the wild seafood at Costco is processed in China. <--this to me is a good thing and a reason I shop at Costco for that, but in case price is the only driver, don't buy wild seafood at Costco.
7) Rice -always more expensive at Costco versus Walmart
8) Coarse salt - always more expensive at Costco versus Walmart/Amazon

Anything else?
Last edited by angryaudifanatic on Mar 10th, 2019 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
121 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2003
2883 posts
1622 upvotes
the avocado oil has definitely been on sale multiple times over the years.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
4107 posts
1543 upvotes
Ontario
it's going to be easier to make a list of things that are cheaper at costco, js.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
3116 posts
2251 upvotes
Canadia
I stole this from the Calgary reddit. It's a list of common grocery item prices from August 2018. Unfortunately, it doesn't include Costco because it's hard to compare prices against 2L jumbo jars of mayonnaise. The take-away? Wal*Mart isn't the cheapest. If you want to save money, chances are that you'll shop at Wal*Mart *and* Superstore and know your prices fairly well.

Save-on-Foods and Safebeys (even though it isn't listed here) are significantly more expensive. If you earn $120K a year, you probably don't spend much time considering the cost of a can of beans, you just shop at the nice grocery store nearest your home. Costco also targets more affluent customers. As a result, they don't care (much) about people price-matching artichoke hearts and 4.5 kg bags of specialty french fries. Instead, they rely on end-cap sale prices to make you feel like you're in bargain mecca (this is the same pricing strategy used by Walmart, actually - the t-shirts are on sale for $5, but if you buy a package of ball-point pens or a garbage can it will cost you as much or more as if you went to Staples).

Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1889 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
Pizza Pops are a lot more expensive at Costco than elsewhere, both at Costco's over inflated regular and sale prices. I was not happy with that.
Banned
Feb 13, 2019
111 posts
63 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Almost everything we buy is cheaper at Superstore (on sale) than at Costco. Especially when you factor in PC Points. Pretty much the only things we buy at Costco are luxurious items, and only when on sale or clearance.

It's painful standing in line at Costco with <5 items, behind all the land whales with their carts full to the brim with junk food. Costco people must be the Canadian version of U.S. Walmart people.

Costco shoppers seem to be more rude and pushy. Multiple times I've been verbally harassed by shoppers there and twice I thought I was going to be physically attacked by some lunatic. I think standing in line for all that time at the till and then to exit the store gets people up tight and on edge.
Older generations literally have no biological purpose to exist other than to help the younger generation.
I am the proud inventor of the Rolen Plan for early retirement.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1889 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
Oh, yeah, forgot. Canned Campbell's soups and Chef Boyardee type canned pasta is MUCH more expensive at Costco than elsewhere. That is if Costco even has any.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2018
6413 posts
7003 upvotes
GTA
1. Toilet Paper
2. Avocados
3. Berries

Are a few things:)

Many like to buy "large quantities" at Costco. However, since lots of RFDers may be into price matching or looking for weekly sales, many food items etc can be found for less than Costco's regular prices.
Nov 23, 2010
687 posts
125 upvotes
Montreal
Stock up when on sale.
Do Not put All your Eggs in One Basket!
Overtaxed, Underpaid, Overpriced Proud Canadian!
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27802 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
I get the WHY for creating this thread
But it truth... it could be ANY STORE that sells Groceries
NOT JUST COSTCO

Every Retailer, has their own set of prices
One for Regular, Another for SALE
And a third for DEEP DISCOUNT DEALS

The trick therefore isn’t just knowing one... but ALL THREE

Truth is most of us, don’t bother... or don’t have the time or interest to know this / track it

It’s how stores balance out their costs
A particular item may ALWAYS BE CHEAPER AT COSTCO
And another item more expensive than EVERYWHERE ELSE
It’s how they get folks into the store (same for Walmart et al)
And how the DEEP DISCOUNT on one, offsets the Regular Price
Which could very well be MORE EXPENSIVE THAN ANY OTHER STORE

People end up buying the MOST EXPENSIVE ITEM
Either because they ASSUME it’s a good price too ... cause it’s Costco / Walmart etc
Or they pick it up and put it in their cart cause it’s convenient ... “I am here anyhow”

The absolute best way to shop... is by KNOWING YOUR PRICES for standard things you buy
Then buy them when they are a good deal (be it ON SALE ... or DEEP DISCOUNT)
Don’t pay regular prices for anything

Start with the weekly flyers *
And a list of what you need
Shop the flyers for best deals
And the stores for “strategic shopping”

If you don’t see yourself driving round to a bunch of stores
Then just hit the one that has the best deals on the majority of stuff you need

And ultimately, begin a stockpile
So eventually you are only shopping the Sales & Deep Discounts
What I call “strategic shopping”
And not going into the stores for a weekly load of groceries
You are spending your weekly budget on just WEEKLY SALES & DEEP DISCOUNT ITEMS
That’s how to make your Grocery Dollars go the furthest

So...
It’s not a case of what’s overpriced at Costco
But what Costco CONSISTENTLY has best pricing on
For us that list is pretty short
With the main players being... DW Detergent, Laundry Detergent, Dish Soap
All in large formats. Best when bought on Costco Sales

We also buy some food items there... but again mostly large sizes, that we only have to replenish occasionally
Tobacco, Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce, Olive Oil etc
As well as food items we find currently lower prices than elsewhere (ie Coffee Cream)
Or items that are not necessarily cheaper, but we prefer the format for convenience
(family packs of meats... such as chicken breasts)

Everything else we buy at Costco, is based on individual analysis
It’s either a one time good deal (like the latest book / magazine ... or homegood, electronics, etc)
Or seasonal ... Clothing, Gardening, Christmas etc
All stuff that is on Costco’s CHURN LIST of goods
(Costco turns over their stock ... introducing new items regularly)
It’s a BIG DRAW to Costco for those who go in regularly
A large percentage of goods CHURN / TURN OVER in Costco monthly
And when they are gone ... they’re gone

Again, it’s a case of KNOWING PRICES
As well as the marketplace
Is the item a good price...
Or is it a case of this being a good deal cause I cannot buy it anywhere else, or in this format ?

That is both the INSIDER TRACK to Costco
As well as getting the best bang for your buck AT ANY RETAILER

* Flipp is a godsend for looking at Flyers online all at once
And searching out both your needs as well as deals
Need TP ... then WHO has the best price this week ?
And not just on any TP... if you are brand specific
Then you can further narrow your results
Flipp has made “strategic shopping” sooo much easier
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2647 posts
846 upvotes
GTA
rolenEDM wrote: Almost everything we buy is cheaper at Superstore (on sale) than at Costco. Especially when you factor in PC Points. Pretty much the only things we buy at Costco are luxurious items, and only when on sale or clearance.

It's painful standing in line at Costco with <5 items, behind all the land whales with their carts full to the brim with junk food. Costco people must be the Canadian version of U.S. Walmart people.

Costco shoppers seem to be more rude and pushy. Multiple times I've been verbally harassed by shoppers there and twice I thought I was going to be physically attacked by some lunatic. I think standing in line for all that time at the till and then to exit the store gets people up tight and on edge.
Some psychos for sure. Yesterday the cashier was ringing up my items when the female after me in the line started shoving her items forward, so I put my hand out so I wouldn't end up paying for her things. She yells out "she's pushing my stuff!" If I wasn't in a public place, I may just have said some very nasty things and pushed her over. Costco is turning into a fish market with the lack of manners of some groups shopping there. I wish they had "order groceries for pickup" so I can avoid the vultures around the food samples too.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4735 posts
5331 upvotes
mzmoney wrote: 1. Toilet Paper
2. Avocados
3. Berries

Are a few things:)

Many like to buy "large quantities" at Costco. However, since lots of RFDers may be into price matching or looking for weekly sales, many food items etc can be found for less than Costco's regular prices.
Thats shocking to me with respect to toilet paper!! Learn something new everyday I guess
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1889 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
angryaudifanatic wrote: Thats shocking to me with respect to toilet paper!! Learn something new everyday I guess
The Costco Kirkland toilet paper is actually fairly priced but LobLaws and Superstore have had better deals, especially if you collect PC Points and get points offers. If nowhere has a good sale and you can't wait, then Costco Kirkland toilet paper is a good choice.

But don't ever buy any name brand toilet paper at Costco. They are all way over priced.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2018
6413 posts
7003 upvotes
GTA
angryaudifanatic wrote: Thats shocking to me with respect to toilet paper!! Learn something new everyday I guess
Yes, No Frills often has Royale on sale for $7.50 ish 30 double rolls = 60 rolls

As @JoeStale mentioned sale prices at Loblaws stores + PC Points is the way to go :)

Many like to get the Cashmere huge package, however, if you don't get on sale at Costco, definitely overpriced!

Thanks for starting the Costco discussion @angryaudifanatic
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27802 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
angryaudifanatic wrote:
Thats shocking to me with respect to toilet paper!! Learn something new everyday I guess
JoeStale wrote: The Costco Kirkland toilet paper is actually fairly priced but LobLaws and Superstore have had better deals, especially if you collect PC Points and get points offers. If nowhere has a good sale and you can't wait, then Costco Kirkland toilet paper is a good choice.

But don't ever buy any name brand toilet paper at Costco. They are all way over priced.
This

Again it’s a case of knowing your prices for the items you want / need... or prefer
Costco Kirkland Store Brand is often a good deal @ Costco
BUT ... if you prefer another Brand Name Product, you can certainly do better than Costco *

This is also true for other Paper Products, like Facial Tissue & PT
Never do we buy Bounty at Costco... it’s ALWAYS overpriced... even with their SALE Price
(Don’t know what Costco’s DEEP DISCOUNT Price would be ... cause I have never seen it LOW Enough to buy)

* The RFD TP Calculation Thread is vey revealing & proves out the statement by @JoeStale
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/toilet-p ... d-2078163/
Kirkland TP @ Costco comes in at # 10 in the Best Price History List
Outranked by various Brand Name TP Products at other Retailers
So Costco has no other listings above # 10
Even my own contribution at # 11 for Rexall of all places
Comes as a bit of surprise to many no doubt
And in addition to price that day ... which is the only data collected in that thread
I also got a $ 10 GC with Purchase
A TP mail in rebate, and Bonus AirMiles
All in... it probably was the TP Buy of the Year
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
3026 posts
1670 upvotes
B.C.
retrothing wrote: I stole this from the Calgary reddit. It's a list of common grocery item prices from August 2018. Unfortunately, it doesn't include Costco because it's hard to compare prices against 2L jumbo jars of mayonnaise.
I like your post and totally agree with it, but for a comparison like that you really need to go with price per 100ML or 100G. But that also only works if you want 2 litres of ranch dressing from Costco Face With Tears Of Joy

I haven't done a comparison but I don't find Save On Foods as expensive, but I also live in a city with two Walmarts and one Costco and both Walmarts are terrible. It's worth the extra to buy from SOF to get the item in one trip instead of having to explain to the Walmart employee what the item is and hope they can find it. Plus they price match!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
7022 posts
2907 upvotes
Victoria, BC
PointsHubby wrote: .......
As well as food items we find currently lower prices than elsewhere (ie Coffee Cream)
Could you elaborate on this?

i.e. means "in other words". I think you meant to say e.g. ("for example").

So coffee cream is one of the few staples that is cheaper at Costco? You mean the 10% and 18% dairy product that comes in 500ml and 1L cartons?

And any other fresh dairy products are usually more expensive at Costco than competitors?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18944 posts
10527 upvotes
angryaudifanatic wrote: Like many other people, I shop at Costco. I have started noticing a trend whereby items that used to be cheaper at Costco are no longer the case (items can be found cheaper or at the same price somewhere else). While I appreciate everyone shops at Costco for different things, I am hoping to try and stick to items I believe applies to most people. I am wondering if we can use our collective brainpower to add to this list.

1) Organic Coffee (Zavida) - at Costco is $17.99 right now for 1 bag of 907g.
-Amazon: https://www.amazon.ca/Lavazza-Tierra-Or ... ay&sr=8-11
Thus, this works out to the same when both items are not on sale. That said, I picked up Lavazza at Amazon just the other day for another $5 off.

2) Avocado Oil: $20.99 for 1L at Costco.
-Walmart: $14.97 for 750mL
Thus, this works out to the same price/mL at both; however, I have never seen this go on sale at Costco, and see it a few $ off here and there at Walmart.

3) Someone pointed this out to me on RFD the other day. Avoid buying windshield washer fluid at Costco. It's almost always more expensive than on sale at CDN tire.
4) Furnace Filters - 3M or not, it's ALWAYS cheaper to buy at furnacefilters.ca or elsewhere. Generally with the latter, it's around $2-$3/filter for Merv 11, which is comparable to 3M 1900 line (IIRC)
5) Rack of Lamb: Almost always more expensive at Costco versus your run of the mill grocery store
6) "Wild" seafood - is always more expensive at Costco because none of the wild seafood at Costco is processed in China. <--this to me is a good thing and a reason I shop at Costco for that, but in case price is the only driver, don't buy wild seafood at Costco.
7) Rice -always more expensive at Costco versus Walmart
8) Coarse salt - always more expensive at Costco versus Walmart/Amazon

Anything else?
You specifically state in #1 and #4 that you are comparing different brands. While Costco is not always the cheapest item, it does not seem fair to compare different brands.

I agree Costco is not always the cheapest price, even when the brands are the same. But I think to be fair you have to compare only like brands.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2016
2354 posts
1998 upvotes
Halifax
JoeStale wrote: The Costco Kirkland toilet paper is actually fairly priced but LobLaws and Superstore have had better deals, especially if you collect PC Points and get points offers. If nowhere has a good sale and you can't wait, then Costco Kirkland toilet paper is a good choice.

BEWARE : Kirkland Toilet paper - does NOT break down well in Septics. I have seen more than one co-worker have to pump out septic tanks and have clogs dislodged. The first thing they ask is the type of toilet paper and warn about Kirkland. There should be a warning on it. You would expect a certain amount of biodegradability solely based on what it is.
A fan of RFD
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
3026 posts
1670 upvotes
B.C.
macnut wrote:
Could you elaborate on this?

i.e. means "in other words". I think you meant to say e.g. ("for example").

So coffee cream is one of the few staples that is cheaper at Costco? You mean the 10% and 18% dairy product that comes in 500ml and 1L cartons?

And any other fresh dairy products are usually more expensive at Costco than competitors?
Costco near me sells Island Farms Half & Half for $1.97 (I think, I haven't bought it there in ages since I don't like Island Farms Brand unfortunately). It's up to $4 elsewhere. Walmarts store brand is $2.57 for a 1L. For some reason out here in BC Half & Half has a best before date of about two weeks after purchase and back in Ontario it was closer to two months so I'd stock up a lot more.

Wholesale club sells 1L of Half & Half for $1.97 (which recently went up to $2.27)

I think Costco sells the 18% creamer in the little foodservice creamer containers - but I'm not sure of what the pricing is on them. No 500ml containers of anything though.