None
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
1682 posts
1187 upvotes
Guelph, ON
Gibsons wrote:
Oct 16th, 2019 11:01 am
I know Amex takes a little more of a percentage than Visa/MC so it makes sense that some companies won't take it, Wendy's might have smaller margins than McDonald's and have less automation to cut down on manpower.
Probably less automation, McDonalds has been the king at that.
I like credit unions.
Member with DUCA Credit Union. Accounts with Tangerine, BMO, and EQ Bank.
Feb 4, 2019
128 posts
143 upvotes
BC
User455957 wrote:
Oct 16th, 2019 12:15 am
Where do people live with low amex acceptance? I live on Vancouver Island, and 90% + of my spend in with my amex
deltatux wrote:
Oct 16th, 2019 1:20 am
Really depends on the merchants you frequent, I would say that 25-30% of the merchants I frequent don't accept AMEX because I shop at a lot of ethnic stores & smaller shops that simply don't take AMEX and it doesn't matter if you live in a large or small city, it really depends on where you shop.
^This. Spent 2 days in Nanaimo recently and literally none of the places we went to (breakfast, coffee, lunch, dinner, hostel) took Amex.
Oct 8, 2005
122 posts
35 upvotes
Montréal
mr_raider wrote:
Oct 16th, 2019 6:31 am
Quebec.

Only super C takes Amex reliably. IGA and the provigo/Loblaws family don't. Metro is case by case. Couche Tard is case by case. Plus it hardly qualifies as grocery unless your family lives on a diet if chips and caffeine drinks.

Many mall food courts don't take it either. McDonald's and most Tim's take it reliably. Any restaurant in main downtown or tourist areas take it, but a lot of small places like the shish taouk joints don't take it.

That leaves major retailers like Walmart and best buy, but those are not usually classified as categorical for accelerated rewards.
AFAIK, all Metros in Quebec take Amex, but often contact less payment doesn’t work. Use the chip and you should be fine.

But yes, Quebec has, not just Amex, but general lower Credit card acceptance that rest of Canada. Those shish taouk, hot-dog/poutine joints are mostly cash only, maybe debit, same for most hair salons/barbershops, dry cleaners, ...
Jul 3, 2019
390 posts
94 upvotes
mr_raider wrote: Quebec.

Only super C takes Amex reliably. IGA and the provigo/Loblaws family don't. Metro is case by case. Couche Tard is case by case. Plus it hardly qualifies as grocery unless your family lives on a diet if chips and caffeine drinks.
Must be a Montreal thing? 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’ve never had issues at Metro (paypass) and Couche-Tard. I’ve been on the road quite a lot for work.
Oct 7, 2019
8 posts
4 upvotes
It's true. Once a manager of SuperC yelled at the attendant no CC for the gift card when the latter demanded the approval.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
23181 posts
2795 upvotes
Montreal
F3el96 wrote:
Oct 16th, 2019 3:18 pm
Must be a Montreal thing? 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’ve never had issues at Metro (paypass) and Couche-Tard. I’ve been on the road quite a lot for work.
Couche Tard next to my house (stand alone, not gas station) doesn't take Amex. ANd I tried inserting it in.
Feb 28, 2014
302 posts
250 upvotes
I can confirm that Ontario Parks at Algonquin Park does NOT accept Amex. It was quite disappointing to learn that I couldn't use the card when trying to get the daily pass today.
Jan 13, 2016
335 posts
82 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I just saw compass card in BC takes amex.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1850 posts
409 upvotes
Toronto
Gibsons wrote:
Oct 16th, 2019 11:01 am
I know Amex takes a little more of a percentage than Visa/MC so it makes sense that some companies won't take it, Wendy's might have smaller margins than McDonald's and have less automation to cut down on manpower.
That seems to depend on which card you are talking about. The Mastercard World Elite takes more than many AMEX cards. All the premium cards take a large cut, so small stores have a problem with that. They prefer debit or cash. Costco doesn’t take any Visa. Loblaws pushes its card.

Nice to know about Wendy’s. Very odd. There are alternatives.

Now Skip the Dishes, DoorDash and other similar outfits accept Amex. A&W which apparently doesn’t accept it reliably is on DoorDash, so they must be set up to accept Amex, maybe just not in person?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
1611 posts
760 upvotes
Kanada
mr_raider wrote:
Oct 17th, 2019 10:20 pm
Couche Tard next to my house (stand alone, not gas station) doesn't take Amex. ANd I tried inserting it in.
Wrong. All couche-tard must accept Amex
Part of the art of working in customer service, at any company, is the ability to invent plausible explanations for unexpected outcomes. An algorithm makes the decision. The agent does not necessarily know why.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
1611 posts
760 upvotes
Kanada
pmcd wrote:
Oct 27th, 2019 2:19 am
That seems to depend on which card you are talking about. The Mastercard World Elite takes more than many AMEX cards. All the premium cards take a large cut, so small stores have a problem with that. They prefer debit or cash. Costco doesn’t take any Visa. Loblaws pushes its card.

Nice to know about Wendy’s. Very odd. There are alternatives.

Now Skip the Dishes, DoorDash and other similar outfits accept Amex. A&W which apparently doesn’t accept it reliably is on DoorDash, so they must be set up to accept Amex, maybe just not in person?
DoorDash takes payment by Amex, deducts fees and commissions then pays the participating A&W location by cheque or direct deposit every month or so.
Part of the art of working in customer service, at any company, is the ability to invent plausible explanations for unexpected outcomes. An algorithm makes the decision. The agent does not necessarily know why.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
1611 posts
760 upvotes
Kanada
rhw123 wrote:
Oct 16th, 2019 12:01 pm
^This. Spent 2 days in Nanaimo recently and literally none of the places we went to (breakfast, coffee, lunch, dinner, hostel) took Amex.
Inquire about Amex acceptance before you shop or visit the business
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
23181 posts
2795 upvotes
Montreal
SnoopDop wrote:
Oct 27th, 2019 8:19 am
Wrong. All couche-tard must accept Amex
Then the terminal was misconfigured.
Mar 6, 2019
20 posts
26 upvotes
Vancouver
Does Buy-Low Foods (Vancouver) accept AMEX?