• Oct 10th, 2022 1:14 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2019
2687 posts
4430 upvotes
BC
titaniumtux wrote: True, but the list is short, innit?
  1. BNS MI - 4%
  2. TD CBI - 3%
  3. Tang MC - optionally 2%
  4. Simplii VISA - 1.5%
I did find a few more:
- Laurentian VI (QC/ON only) - 3%
- Meridian VI - 2%
- Desjardins CB World MC - 2%
- TD Business CB - 2%
- TD Business Travel - 6X TD points

So nothing too interesting really given that Tangerine already gives 2% uncapped.
TD CBI and Scotia MI will probably keep me busy for a while anyway.
Jun 6, 2011
421 posts
364 upvotes
Ottawa
Are the big signing bonuses seasonal? I'm getting rid of my Cap One card and looking for a new one with decent offers but so far it's slim pickings! Or is $200 bucks kind of the best I can find these days?
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2018
1876 posts
2285 upvotes
Halifax, Nova Scotia
polish_jr333 wrote: Are the big signing bonuses seasonal? I'm getting rid of my Cap One card and looking for a new one with decent offers but so far it's slim pickings! Or is $200 bucks kind of the best I can find these days?
For pure cashback cards, you won't do much better than $200. Occasionally there may be a limited time or invitation-only bonus of $250 or even $300 like Tangerine did for some of us. If you're into travel/points there are offers out there that will net you a more technically "valuable" welcome bonus.
Jun 6, 2011
421 posts
364 upvotes
Ottawa
aweawea wrote: For pure cashback cards, you won't do much better than $200. Occasionally there may be a limited time or invitation-only bonus of $250 or even $300 like Tangerine did for some of us. If you're into travel/points there are offers out there that will net you a more technically "valuable" welcome bonus.
Yeah I've gotten used to 300-400 bucks total welcome bonus on travel cards. I'm looking for a new daily driver but kind of unimpressed by the bonuses and general card benefits out right now.
Nov 28, 2003
699 posts
413 upvotes
Montreal
I will be spending about $20,000 a year on renting ice (~$400/week) and I am looking for the best card for this expenditure. I currently use the Rogers WE card and renting the ice falls under the entertainment category. TIA.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
deals wrote: I will be spending about $20,000 a year on renting ice (~$400/week) and I am looking for the best card for this expenditure. I currently use the Rogers WE card and renting the ice falls under the entertainment category. TIA.
Do they take AmEx?
  1. BNS AmEx Plat 4x, so $800
  2. BNS AmEx Gold I think is 3x, so $600
  3. Brim WE 2% so $400
  4. Rogers WE 1.5% so $300

Brim WE is $199 AF afaik but currently FYF. What you'd earn over Rogers might not offset the AF, but BNS AmEx Gold or Plat may be worth it, especially if you can funnel other spend on those cards.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Nov 28, 2003
699 posts
413 upvotes
Montreal
titaniumtux wrote: Do they take AmEx?
  1. BNS AmEx Plat 4x, so $800
  2. BNS AmEx Gold I think is 3x, so $600
  3. Brim WE 2% so $400
  4. Rogers WE 1.5% so $300

Brim WE is $199 AF afaik but currently FYF. What you'd earn over Rogers might not offset the AF, but BNS AmEx Gold or Plat may be worth it, especially if you can funnel other spend on those cards.
Thanks. Just checked, they dont accept AmEx.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19736 posts
28624 upvotes
Vancouver
deals wrote: Thanks. Just checked, they dont accept AmEx.
I really doubt that BNS would have given you 4% on their Amex Gold for an ice rink rental anyway. The list of what actually counts as "entertainment" in that category is extremely short—not much beyond movies and show tickets. And even Ticketmaster is hit or miss.

Best best is to churn, baby, churn. No single card will get you as much as signing up for a bunch and meeting the minimum spend requirement on each for the welcome bonus.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
7372 posts
9176 upvotes
Montreal
Kiraly wrote: I really doubt that BNS would have given you 4% on their Amex Gold for an ice rink rental anyway. The list of what actually counts as "entertainment" in that category is extremely short—not much beyond movies and show tickets. And even Ticketmaster is hit or miss.

Best best is to churn, baby, churn. No single card will get you as much as signing up for a bunch and meeting the minimum spend requirement on each for the welcome bonus.
Not sure if it's the same for the Scotia Amex Gold, but for the Passport Visa Infinite, theme park tickets count as "entertainment". I've bought Universal Studios tickets and Disney tickets and both got the accelerator bonus.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2019
2687 posts
4430 upvotes
BC
efrant wrote: Not sure if it's the same for the Scotia Amex Gold, but for the Passport Visa Infinite, theme park tickets count as "entertainment". I've bought Universal Studios tickets and Disney tickets and both got the accelerator bonus.
Yes the entertainment category on the Passport VI is fairly broadly defined, for example I've gotten 2X points for museums and a spa resort. But in general entertainment is hit and miss because typically multiple merchant categories potentially apply to a merchant. For example, another spa resort could have coded as hotel and it would have gotten only 1X points.
Jun 2, 2017
347 posts
213 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Just bought a house so I’d be spending about additional $5000 on appliances in excess of the allowance by the builder.

What’s the best credit card to sign-up now to maximize my cashback and/or rewards?

I currently have Amex Gold, Marriott Bonvoy, CanTire WE, BMO AirMiles WE, a MBNA bt card and Servus No-Fee MC.
Sr Software Eng | Dad | sneakerhead | everything Apple | AV enthusiast | 5.2.4 Home Theatre | Tesla Owner
Sep 10, 2020
1 posts
Hi there, I came over because I was looking for a list of cards that provide 0% APR on purchases. I think this would be a good content to add!
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19736 posts
28624 upvotes
Vancouver
SimonJ70608 wrote: Hi there, I came over because I was looking for a list of cards that provide 0% APR on purchases. I think this would be a good content to add!
Sure, if someone would like to start that list, I'll add it to the sticky.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19736 posts
28624 upvotes
Vancouver
greatauroro28 wrote: Just bought a house so I’d be spending about additional $5000 on appliances in excess of the allowance by the builder.

What’s the best credit card to sign-up now to maximize my cashback and/or rewards?

I currently have Amex Gold, Marriott Bonvoy, CanTire WE, BMO AirMiles WE, a MBNA bt card and Servus No-Fee MC.
Check the Hot Deals forum, there's a thread about several cash back cards with 10% back on the first $2k or $3k of purchases.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Kiraly wrote: Sure, if someone would like to start that list, I'll add it to the sticky.
@terracotta92 OP'd a latest BT offers thread and I OP'd the MBNA BT thread, which is where @SimonJ70608 should find what he's looking for.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Jun 2, 2017
347 posts
213 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Kiraly wrote: Check the Hot Deals forum, there's a thread about several cash back cards with 10% back on the first $2k or $3k of purchases.
Thanks for the reply.

Tried applying for the Amex Simply Cash Preferred and got approved for 18K.
Sr Software Eng | Dad | sneakerhead | everything Apple | AV enthusiast | 5.2.4 Home Theatre | Tesla Owner
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19736 posts
28624 upvotes
Vancouver
greatauroro28 wrote: Thanks for the reply.

Tried applying for the Amex Simply Cash Preferred and got approved for 18K.
That's good
Watch out though, the cash back is paid out in September every year; you'll have to wait until September 2021 to get it, and depending on the timing of your application, you might have to pay next year's $99 annual fee to get it.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Kiraly wrote: That's good
Watch out though, the cash back is paid out in September every year; you'll have to wait until September 2021 to get it, and depending on the timing of your application, you might have to pay next year's $99 annual fee to get it.
That's why the WB on the AmEx SCP is at its best right now.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
2723 posts
2772 upvotes
Toronto
My current setup is

Scotia Gold Amex - 5% Restaurants / 3% Gas
Rogers WE - 1.5% Everything
Tangerine - 2% Restaurants (Where Amex is not supported) / Groceries

My new longterm setup will be

Simplii Financial VISA - 4% Restaurants - NO ANNUAL FEE
CIBC Dividend Platinum Visa - 4% Groceries / 4% Gas - NO ANNUAL FEE (Have to keep a certain balance in bank)
Rogers WE - 1.5% Everything - NO ANNUAL FEE

Although I like Amex Front of the Line, I don't think the 1% justifies keeping the Amex and it's annoying going to restaurants to find out they don't accept Amex and I have to go down to 2%.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2019
1048 posts
1316 upvotes
Toronto
Can someone please suggest any free and unsecured credit card to build the credit history?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)