List of VOIP Providers & Hardware to Use on our Phones

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 18th, 2020 2:23 pm
Mar 7, 2008
565 posts
145 upvotes
Leask
Question on Fongo SIM.

I currently have a Canada cellphone number that I like to keep using and I believe Fongo allows this.

If I use Fongo and port my Canadian cellphone to it. Will I still get iMessage base on my Canadian cellphone number? Or is the phone operated under a app using Data only. In that case, no iMessage with my ported Canadian cellphone number :(
Jul 16, 2013
516 posts
168 upvotes
THINKPOD wrote: Question on Fongo SIM.

I currently have a Canada cellphone number that I like to keep using and I believe Fongo allows this.

If I use Fongo and port my Canadian cellphone to it. Will I still get iMessage base on my Canadian cellphone number? Or is the phone operated under a app using Data only. In that case, no iMessage with my ported Canadian cellphone number :(
IMessage only comes with the number on ur SIM. Once u port ur number to fongo u so everything through their app. U can still get iMessage on ur phone, but the number will be ur new SIM card number. In ur case will be the number associated to ur data line.
Mar 7, 2008
565 posts
145 upvotes
Leask
ZenaZ927 wrote: IMessage only comes with the number on ur SIM. Once u port ur number to fongo u so everything through their app. U can still get iMessage on ur phone, but the number will be ur new SIM card number. In ur case will be the number associated to ur data line.
Thanks for confirming! So Fongo sim doesn’t work for me.

I am moving to Asia and I am hoping to keep my Canadian number. What’s my lowest cost option? I can’t possibility afford roaming like this for months at a time.

I heard Rogers has wifi calling. Would that work?
Jul 16, 2013
516 posts
168 upvotes
THINKPOD wrote: Thanks for confirming! So Fongo sim doesn’t work for me.

I am moving to Asia and I am hoping to keep my Canadian number. What’s my lowest cost option? I can’t possibility afford roaming like this for months at a time.

I heard Rogers has wifi calling. Would that work?
no. Wi-Fi calling will uses ur plan minutes. Meaning u will be roaming overseas. If u r looking for iMessage fongo won't work. But if u r just looking to park ur number and ppl can still reach u when u r not in Canada, any VOIP service will work.
Nov 14, 2003
340 posts
134 upvotes
Toronto
ZenaZ927 wrote: no. Wi-Fi calling will uses ur plan minutes. Meaning u will be roaming overseas.
Wifi calling should be like local calling in Canada. Canandian outgoing, and any incoming, come from your plan.
https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/W ... a-p/410434
How is Wi-Fi Calling billed when I am travelling outside of Canada?

If you are using Wi-Fi Calling while outside of Canada, the following will be deducted from your airtime and messaging limits included in your wireless plan without incurring any long distance or roaming charges:

Incoming calls and messages received from anywhere in the world
Outgoing calls and messages made or sent by you to a Canadian number
Sep 7, 2006
70 posts
10 upvotes
Abbotsford
Guys looking for something that can send phone calls and text messages from one number to multiple devices, Iphones/ Android.

I have tried openphone and Voip.ms with groundwire (has many issues rerouting sms)

Can anyone recommend a company or service that can do this . Is line2 good?
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1858 posts
586 upvotes
BTW, folks, one cool little thing aboit Groundwire app:

when u click little (i) in the upper/right corner during the call, it shows ping and jitter!
And those number are most relevant, as they are between your actual IP and your voip server..

E.g. for me, from Fido data to montreal4.voip.ms server, ping is about 60 ms while jitter is under 20 ms.
Call quality is excellent/very good. So, those are fairly acceptable values?

I'd be curious to see other ppls numbers, if anyone can share!
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1858 posts
586 upvotes
Bungalow wrote: Guys looking for something that can send phone calls and text messages from one number to multiple devices, Iphones/ Android.

I have tried openphone and Voip.ms with groundwire (has many issues rerouting sms)

Can anyone recommend a company or service that can do this . Is line2 good?
Google Voice?
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1428 posts
303 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Tichi wrote: BTW, folks, one cool little thing aboit Groundwire app:

when u click little (i) in the upper/right corner during the call, it shows ping and jitter!
And those number are most relevant, as they are between your actual IP and your voip server..

E.g. for me, from Fido data to montreal4.voip.ms server, ping is about 60 ms while jitter is under 20 ms.
Call quality is excellent/very good. So, those are fairly acceptable values?

I'd be curious to see other ppls numbers, if anyone can share!
Is that on Android or ios? I don't see that icon when on a call using Android.
Public Mobile $13/month
Fido 3GB data only plan
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1858 posts
586 upvotes
flyboy320 wrote: Is that on Android or ios? I don't see that icon when on a call using Android.
Android. It shows during a call in progress and updates continuously.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1428 posts
303 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Tichi wrote: Android. It shows during a call in progress and updates continuously.
Strange, mine doesn't show the (i) icon.
Images
  • Screenshot_20200129-150015.png
Public Mobile $13/month
Fido 3GB data only plan
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1858 posts
586 upvotes
BTW, does anyone's Groundwire app work with bluetooth?

Mine does not :(
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1858 posts
586 upvotes
flyboy320 wrote: Strange, mine doesn't show the (i) icon.
Hmmm. Interface of my groundwire is totally different ( sorry, dunno how to takr screen grabs quickly)
version 5.2.18 (paid).
Maybe you ned to upgrade?
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1428 posts
303 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Tichi wrote: Hmmm. Interface of my groundwire is totally different ( sorry, dunno how to takr screen grabs quickly)
version 5.2.18 (paid).
Maybe you ned to upgrade?
Ya weird, same version 5.2.18 build 1330408
Public Mobile $13/month
Fido 3GB data only plan
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1858 posts
586 upvotes
flyboy320 wrote: Ya weird, same version 5.2.18 build 1330408
hmm weird indeed.
different android version? different screen size?
I use my groundwire on androids 6 to 8, big 6.4" phone, and a tablet...