Cell Phones

List of VOIP Providers & Hardware to Use on our Phones

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 3rd, 2020 10:08 am
May 7, 2012
936 posts
410 upvotes
DrEggman399 wrote: Hi All,

Want to switch my existing landline to VoIP as it never really gets used, just need the number to take occasional calls. 99% of all the calls we get nowadays are telemarketing, anyways.

What is the cheapest provider / setup for bare minimum use landline? No frills needed - don't need SMS, MMS, we all have cell phones, etc. DIY is fine, as of right now I just have no idea about the setup.
It does need to have Caller ID blocking and Unlisted number if possible.
My cursory research says to use an OBI200 with voip.ms but those seem to be out of stock / out of production? If someone could point me in the right direction, that would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
I picked up an Obi110 off ebay for $20, setup Freephoneline ($89.95 for voip unlock key + $25 number port-in) = $135. Ongoing cost = $0. The Obi 100 and 110 continue to work just fine with FPL and voip.ms.
May 7, 2012
936 posts
410 upvotes
Tichi wrote: If only voip.ms had MMS right now (which I still need for historical reasons), I'd dump immediately my regular cellphone lines and jump on it.
Groundwire + voip.ms works seamlessly and reliably now both for phone calls and sms, what else does one need?
Me thinks your wish is on the way according to comments on DSLR.
May 7, 2012
936 posts
410 upvotes
Tichi wrote: That's an excellent news, thank you!

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32441 ... width-DIDs

..... Now , since my first wish was so successfull ...

Here is the second one...

I wish that Google Voice will become available in Canada very soon...

Abbbrrrra... Cadabrrrra! :)
Wish already granted as GV is available in two ways: 1. Without a GV number you can use it to call out across North America for free (to almost all numbers). I use this on my Obi200 at home. 2. With a GV number you can use it to call North America as per point 1 and receive calls on your GV number (which can only be a US-based area code). I use this on my cell. I find having a US-based number useful for US-based stuff.

I know you really mean that you wish GV would allow for CDN numbers. My prediction is that ain't gonna happen.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1850 posts
582 upvotes
gameon12 wrote:
I know you really mean that you wish GV would allow for CDN numbers. My prediction is that ain't gonna happen.
Yes I did really mean CDN number so that I can port m6 cell0hone number in.

I actually have become curious what is the latest on that... And here is what google says:

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/9310722

Voice isn’t available in all countries. If it’s not available in yours, contact the Voice administrator in your organization.

Countries/regions where Voice for G Suite is available
Denmark
France
Netherlands
Portugal
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
U.K.
U.S.

Voice will soon be available in these countries:

Canada
Ireland

=============

Note, this is the Voice as a part of G Suite (something like online office?).
It is not free... But if the montly cost is like 10 bucks, it is very temting to dump regular cellphone for that!
Jul 16, 2013
505 posts
162 upvotes
Tichi wrote: Yes I did really mean CDN number so that I can port m6 cell0hone number in.

I actually have become curious what is the latest on that... And here is what google says:

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/9310722

Voice isn’t available in all countries. If it’s not available in yours, contact the Voice administrator in your organization.

Countries/regions where Voice for G Suite is available
Denmark
France
Netherlands
Portugal
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
U.K.
U.S.

Voice will soon be available in these countries:

Canada
Ireland

=============

Note, this is the Voice as a part of G Suite (something like online office?).
It is not free... But if the montly cost is like 10 bucks, it is very temting to dump regular cellphone for that!
It 10 USD for USA numbers 30foe international numbers
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1850 posts
582 upvotes
ZenaZ927 wrote: It 10 USD for USA numbers 30foe international numbers
Hmm.. If so, not good of course, but the total cost (of having G Suite with G Voice) is not clear to me yet.
It looks like everyone can have G Suite for like 6 usd monthly? + G Voice on top of that?
Sorry I never new about G Suite until today, so my understanding might be imprecise..

I guess one has to wait until G Voice via G Suite is available in Canada, and then see the total cost, if it is viable vs a cellphone plan.

Besides, if Google already make this first step - CDN G Voice in G Suite,
there are better chances, that they will unroll CDN G Voice to regular google customers?
Feb 28, 2012
784 posts
930 upvotes
VoIP.ms re: MMS, July 9:
Well we have good news for you, it's on our schedule already and will be implemented pretty soon.
...it will be released in closed or open beta first for some testing.
Official release date and rates will be announced soon.

VoIP.ms beta program enrollment:
https://www.voip.ms/m/beta.php
(need to be logged in)
VoIP offers flexibility, economy, carrier & device independence
TCP for reliable inbound on mobile, least battery impact
VoIP.ms / CSipSimple.ca / VoIP.ms SMS / Groundwire
Jul 16, 2013
505 posts
162 upvotes
Tichi wrote: Hmm.. If so, not good of course, but the total cost (of having G Suite with G Voice) is not clear to me yet.
It looks like everyone can have G Suite for like 6 usd monthly? + G Voice on top of that?
Sorry I never new about G Suite until today, so my understanding might be imprecise..

I guess one has to wait until G Voice via G Suite is available in Canada, and then see the total cost, if it is viable vs a cellphone plan.

Besides, if Google already make this first step - CDN G Voice in G Suite,
there are better chances, that they will unroll CDN G Voice to regular google customers?
Ur understanding is right. I like gv but not at 30 USD a month.
Jul 16, 2013
505 posts
162 upvotes
pjw918 wrote: VoIP.ms re: MMS, July 9:
Well we have good news for you, it's on our schedule already and will be implemented pretty soon.
...it will be released in closed or open beta first for some testing.
Official release date and rates will be announced soon.

VoIP.ms beta program enrollment:
https://www.voip.ms/m/beta.php
(need to be logged in)
I saw this as well. Not sure the pricing. I also checked out flowroute. Seems fairly priced and have s and MMS.wondering why it is never mentioned nor recommended?
Feb 28, 2012
784 posts
930 upvotes
ZenaZ927 wrote: I also checked out flowroute. Seems fairly priced and have s and MMS.wondering why it is never mentioned nor recommended?
How do you plan on implementing MMS with Flowroute?
https://www.flowroute.com/mms
https://developer.flowroute.com/api/messages/v2.1

tl;dr - it's complicated.
VoIP offers flexibility, economy, carrier & device independence
TCP for reliable inbound on mobile, least battery impact
VoIP.ms / CSipSimple.ca / VoIP.ms SMS / Groundwire
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1850 posts
582 upvotes
ZenaZ927 wrote: Ur understanding is right. I like gv but not at 30 USD a month.
Well, let us see what it amounts too. The overall good news seems to be that GV is slowly creeping into Canada! :)
Jul 16, 2013
505 posts
162 upvotes
Tichi wrote: Well, let us see what it amounts too. The overall good news seems to be that GV is slowly creeping into Canada! :)
It used to provide Canadian GV for free,but big 3 pushed them out. I don't think things have changed.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1850 posts
582 upvotes
ZenaZ927 wrote: It used to provide Canadian GV for free,but big 3 pushed them out. I don't think things have changed.
Well one thing has changed (or about to change?) for better - Canada phone numbers availability to port into GV?
Thats a good step for sure...