Cell Phones

List of VOIP Providers & Hardware to Use on our Phones

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 3rd, 2020 10:08 am
Jul 16, 2013
503 posts
162 upvotes
Tichi wrote: Well one thing has changed (or about to change?) for better - Canada phone numbers availability to port into GV?
Thats a good step for sure...
Under g suite?
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1850 posts
582 upvotes
ZenaZ927 wrote: Under g suite?
I'm not sure, but I presume so? If G Suite with G Voice is available in Canada, then one must be able to port in a Canadian phone number?
Jul 16, 2013
503 posts
162 upvotes
Tichi wrote: I'm not sure, but I presume so? If G Suite with G Voice is available in Canada, then one must be able to port in a Canadian phone number?
OK. Again, We r looking at paid version which is OK until it is too expensive.....
Jan 4, 2007
174 posts
72 upvotes
Which sould be my best option. I will be moving to the US and have a plan which includes Canada calling and roaming when im in Canada. I want to keep my current Canadian number and just forward it to my new US number.
What's the best low cost option?
Jan 4, 2007
174 posts
72 upvotes
Tichi wrote: Well one thing has changed (or about to change?) for better - Canada phone numbers availability to port into GV?
Thats a good step for sure...
Can you provide details on this?
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1850 posts
582 upvotes
Username77 wrote: Can you provide details on this?
Unfortunately not anymore, I was randomly browsing internet some time ago and came across those details...

Vaguely remember that it should be available in the help or faq sections for google voice...
Apr 9, 2012
424 posts
313 upvotes
Interesting thread that has given me a headache Smiling Face With Open Mouth. I had been using Google Hangouts on an older smartphone but have been just trying a new smartphone (Umidigi A5 Pro, which has been excellent for me BTW) without anything Google activated, just to see if a) I can & b) how things will work, without rooting (which looks like another way to induce a headache for me but I may try one day).

I see in this thread that CSipSimple Android app has been kind of recommended but I cannot find the app nor the website. Has this app disappeared or was I wrong to think it was an Android app? Any other "simpler/smaller" apps recommended for Android?

Since I could not find CSipSimple app nor an alternate download source, I am trying MizuDroid app & it works & is quite simple but I need more time with it & maybe trying others. (eg: It has one display / editing quirk already that I find odd & cannot figure out). I like that it is a small app & non invasive.

I mainly make outgoing calls & my needs are extremely simple as is my budget, being old(er), unemployed & other complications. Maybe down the road I will add a DID #, but I can also keep my Telus # with the $3/mth or $10/mth prepaid plans plus using free or low cost VOIP, or pay Telus $3 every 3 or so months just to keep the # active with Telus.

Yesterday I signed on with Voip.ms (as others in this thread with far more knowledge than I, seem to like it) & I will try it for $15 US until I decide that it is functional to be Google free or to set up my Google Account on the new Umidigi A5 Pro & use the free Google Hangouts (which on my older smartphone, has been of mixed aggravation lately with poor connections, no connections & poor call quality over a longer call. Sometimes it's great, sometimes unusable or just won't connect & no way of knowing if it's at Google Hangouts or my Telus WiFi or too much Telus traffic or ??).

So, any suggestions on how to try the CSipSimple app, or to just stick with MizuDroid? I may also try Zoiper. I tried Linphone but it crashed on me. Signal also looks interesting as a way to call out via WiFi, though not a Sip app & no DID # for incoming callers. Thanks for any suggestions.
Jul 16, 2013
503 posts
162 upvotes
Mtnviewer wrote: Interesting thread that has given me a headache Smiling Face With Open Mouth. I had been using Google Hangouts on an older smartphone but have been just trying a new smartphone (Umidigi A5 Pro, which has been excellent for me BTW) without anything Google activated, just to see if a) I can & b) how things will work, without rooting (which looks like another way to induce a headache for me but I may try one day).

I see in this thread that CSipSimple Android app has been kind of recommended but I cannot find the app nor the website. Has this app disappeared or was I wrong to think it was an Android app? Any other "simpler/smaller" apps recommended for Android?

Since I could not find CSipSimple app nor an alternate download source, I am trying MizuDroid app & it works & is quite simple but I need more time with it & maybe trying others. (eg: It has one display / editing quirk already that I find odd & cannot figure out). I like that it is a small app & non invasive.

I mainly make outgoing calls & my needs are extremely simple as is my budget, being old(er), unemployed & other complications. Maybe down the road I will add a DID #, but I can also keep my Telus # with the $3/mth or $10/mth prepaid plans plus using free or low cost VOIP, or pay Telus $3 every 3 or so months just to keep the # active with Telus.

Yesterday I signed on with Voip.ms (as others in this thread with far more knowledge than I, seem to like it) & I will try it for $15 US until I decide that it is functional to be Google free or to set up my Google Account on the new Umidigi A5 Pro & use the free Google Hangouts (which on my older smartphone, has been of mixed aggravation lately with poor connections, no connections & poor call quality over a longer call. Sometimes it's great, sometimes unusable or just won't connect & no way of knowing if it's at Google Hangouts or my Telus WiFi or too much Telus traffic or ??).

So, any suggestions on how to try the CSipSimple app, or to just stick with MizuDroid? I may also try Zoiper. I tried Linphone but it crashed on me. Signal also looks interesting as a way to call out via WiFi, though not a Sip app & no DID # for incoming callers. Thanks for any suggestions.
csipsimple is older app that no longer is available on the Play Store but other apk sources.
I am using linphone which is pretty good. You need to turn push notification off so it won't crash though it still crashes if I try to set the Android settings from the app. Other than that I am pretty happy with it. Texting is through VOIP. Ms SMS for me.
Feb 28, 2012
784 posts
930 upvotes
CSipSimple
Mtnviewer wrote: I see in this thread that CSipSimple Android app has been kind of recommended but I cannot find the app nor the website. Has this app disappeared or was I wrong to think it was an Android app?
CSipSimple is free, reliable, and extremely configurable.

It was dropped from the Play Store when Google decided no VoIP apps (other than its own) could be integrated with the native dialer, or the call log. CSipSimple is the only Android VoIP app still offering such integration.

You can find it here: http://csipsimple.sent.com
Helpful setup instructions in the Readme.
VoIP offers flexibility, economy, carrier & device independence
TCP for reliable inbound on mobile, least battery impact
VoIP.ms / CSipSimple.ca / VoIP.ms SMS / Groundwire
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1412 posts
291 upvotes
Burlington, ON
I use Groundwire with my Pixel 3XL and it's the only one I've found that will reliably ring even when the phone has been idle for more than 30 minutes. The problem is with AndroidAuto, when you ask it to make a call when driving, it will only use the native dialer, it won't use Groundwire, or Whatsapp to place the call. Does anyone know if CSipSimple can be used as the default dialer when using AA?
Public Mobile $13/month
Fido 3GB data only plan
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1352 posts
88 upvotes
How do I reclaim an old 416XXXXXXX number that I used to own (for 10+ years) ? Used to be with CityFone , cancelled in May 2018 , number is still not assigned to anyone , they said they can't get it back for me (online chat CityFone) , voip.ms can't get to it without a port-on .... is there any hope ? who do I gotta talk to ?
[Call To Action] ✈ New air travel rules: Canadians are in for a rude awakening🍁

Thank You RFD Community! 🤘
2019: 📶Umidigi A5 Pro, 📱PayTM, 🏧HSBC, 💸Coast Capital, 🚗Turo, 💳Stack Financial, 🍽SkipTheDishes, 🍷LCBO, ✈RBC WestJet
Feb 28, 2012
784 posts
930 upvotes
grilw wrote: How do I reclaim an old 416XXXXXXX number that I used to own (for 10+ years) ? Used to be with CityFone , cancelled in May 2018 , number is still not assigned to anyone , they said they can't get it back for me (online chat CityFone) , voip.ms can't get to it without a port-on .... is there any hope ? who do I gotta talk to ?
If you have an active account with Rogers or Fido they should be able to provision it, as the number likely originated from their pool (CityFone is owned by Rogers). If you don't, it may be worth it to open a line in order to get that number, then you can have voip.ms do the port-in. The number may not be available when you first activate, call CS afterwards to do a number change. The CSR may have to reach out to a supervisor or the porting team to access your old number.

You can confirm which carrier pool your old number originated with here: https://freecarrierlookup.com
VoIP offers flexibility, economy, carrier & device independence
TCP for reliable inbound on mobile, least battery impact
VoIP.ms / CSipSimple.ca / VoIP.ms SMS / Groundwire
Aug 6, 2012
234 posts
77 upvotes
TORONTO
For "Peer to Peer (P2P) Apps" some other good ones are Jami ( https://jami.net/ ) which is free, and made in Canada. "Jitsi Meet" ( https://meet.jit.si/ ) is also good, but needs to coordinate the call outside of the application.
Sep 1, 2009
308 posts
235 upvotes
gta
Airalo for data - 13 usd per month
signal wire 2-3 $ per month
Mizuphone for sip app free
Free port in too
Total 15$ usd and no roaming charges - one Canadian number for whole world and you can call from anywhere in the world to entire USA-Canada for cheap.
“I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.”-John Galt 😎
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2011
1459 posts
227 upvotes
Calgary
c0mputer wrote: Airalo for data - 13 usd per month
signal wire 2-3 $ per month
Mizuphone for sip app free
Free port in too
Total 15$ usd and no roaming charges - one Canadian number for whole world and you can call from anywhere in the world to entire USA-Canada for cheap.
Can you explain this in more detail? I'm moving to Greece and wanted to keep my AB 403 number active somehow without paying 15 for a cheap prepaid plan.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

flyboy320