[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
26225 posts
23277 upvotes
Waterloo, ON

Lithium Ion Batteries Price Fixing Class Action [ON, BC, QC]

Lithium Ion Batteries Price Fixing Class Action

Click here by December 17, 2021 to apply to receive a payment.
Class action lawsuits were commenced in Ontario, British Columbia, and Quebec alleging that several LIB manufacturers (the “Defendants”) conspired to fix prices for LIBs, resulting in higher prices for LIBs and LIB Products sold in Canada.

LIBs are rechargeable batteries used in electronic products.

LIB Products are laptop computers, notebook computers, tablet computers, e-book readers, MP3 players, personal digital assistants, handheld GPS, handheld video players, cellphones, smartphones (excluding cellphones and smartphones sold as part of a service contract) or replacement batteries for any of these products.

Settlements totaling CDN$21.3 million were reached with Defendants. The settlements have received court approval in Ontario, British Columbia and/or Quebec. The settlements are a compromise of disputed claims and are not admissions of liability. The settlements resolve the litigation in full.

The settlement funds (plus interest, less approved fees and expenses) are available for distribution to eligible claimants.

Subject to further court order, undocumented claims will be paid $20 and do not require proof of purchase. If you wish to be eligible to receive more than $20, proof of purchase is required.

The remainder of the settlement funds (after paying undocumented claims) will be distributed on a proportional basis, based on the value of your claim relative to the value of all approved claims.

The value of your claim for the purpose of determining your share of the settlement funds will be calculated based on:

(a) the number and type of LIBs or LIB Products purchased (a point value will be assigned based on the number of LIB cells and value of the LIB cells within each product type); and

(b) your position in the distribution chain.

See the FAQs tab for further information.
veni, vidi, Visa
Thread Summary
Etransfer email is from:
LITHIUM BATTERIES CLASS ACTION
[email protected]

🚨 Want to be notified when new Class Action threads get posted? Add a RedFlagDeals Alert for "Class Action" and you'll receive an email as soon as a new thread is created. 🚨
245 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
7375 posts
8063 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
They're paying people without proof before paying people with proof? lmaooooooooooooooooooo

There's gonna be nothing left!

Also phones not counting unless you bought them outright is some snake shit.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3768 posts
2446 upvotes
London
chemicalxv wrote: They're paying people without proof before paying people with proof? lmaooooooooooooooooooo

There's gonna be nothing left!

Also phones not counting unless you bought them outright is some snake shit.
most class actions are like that they pay a tiny amount to people with no proof and bigger pay outs with proof. about the only ones that don't let sign up without any kind of proof are big ticket type ones on car companies or appliance ones. there is a whole website with list of them u can sign up for them u just sit back and u get a free 10 or 20 bucks here or there one time i got one the check was for $1400 usd.

with a program like roboform or others they will even fill in all your address info limiting the amount of stuff u have to fill in by hand
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
7375 posts
8063 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
aaron158 wrote: most class actions are like that they pay a tiny amount to people with no proof and bigger pay outs with proof. about the only ones that don't let sign up without any kind of proof are big ticket type ones on car companies or appliance ones. there is a whole website with list of them u can sign up for them u just sit back and u get a free 10 or 20 bucks here or there one time i got one the check was for $1400 usd.

with a program like roboform or others they will even fill in all your address info limiting the amount of stuff u have to fill in by hand
Oh yeah I know, but if you look at the actual website the amount actually available for disbursement is only about $13M. At $20/pop that only takes basically 650,000 claims to kill.

Also according to the website all Canadians are eligible:
Settlement Class Members are eligible to file a claim. Settlement Class Members are all persons in Canada who purchased LIBs or LIB Products between January 1, 2000 and January 1, 2012, except the Defendants and certain parties related to the Defendants.
And also it clarifies that the timeline isn't through all of 2012, just January 1st 2012 lol. Which sucks because I still have receipts for FOUR things I bought in 2012.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7551 posts
8126 upvotes
Vancouver
One item not on their list is digital cameras. Why not, don't they qualify as portable electronic devices with lithium-ion batteries?

Wow, this is going to be a long list!
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2005
1950 posts
1731 upvotes
Here we go again! Thanks OP
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
7375 posts
8063 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Scote64 wrote: One item not on their list is digital cameras. Why not, don't they qualify as portable electronic devices with lithium-ion batteries?

Wow, this is going to be a long list!
I mean there's no hand-held game consoles on there either and I bought like 2 DS units and 1 3DS in that time period lol.

E: Actually in regards to digital cameras I wonder if they're excluded because a lot of them sold in that time period would've just operated on regular batteries or not shipped with rechargeable batteries included. I know the first one I owned in like 2006 took regular AAs.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2015
1584 posts
1077 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
I'm certain my proof of purchase for 2 high end laptop was emailed to my University email address that no longer exist.
This really sucks.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
26225 posts
23277 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
spiritsBB wrote: I'm certain my proof of purchase for 2 high end laptop was emailed to my University email address that no longer exist.
This really sucks.
Same here with a work email address. Fortunately I also downloaded the receipts to my HDD and kept them. My submission is for 5 notebooks. But yeah I know there was much more like replacement batteries for some of those systems as well as various replacement cell phone batteries.

One related [hypothetical?] question. Cellphones that came with an carrier contract aren't eligible for us to claim. Presumably that's because the carrier bought those phones and is thus the party eligible for the class action claim. I'll bet that during this period millions of phones were sold this way. So does that mean that the triopolists are going to scoop up the vast majority of the funds in this class action? (Along with the lawyers, of course.)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7551 posts
8126 upvotes
Vancouver
chemicalxv wrote: Actually in regards to digital cameras I wonder if they're excluded because a lot of them sold in that time period would've just operated on regular batteries or not shipped with rechargeable batteries included. I know the first one I owned in like 2006 took regular AAs.
I have 6 digital cameras with lithium-ion batteries on my list of 30 devices in the time period, plus a replacement battery for one of them, all with receipts. Also one purchased in the U.S. - wonder if that's eligible?

I sent an email to their information address asking if there's any reason not to include digital cameras.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
26225 posts
23277 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Scote64 wrote: Also one purchased in the U.S. - wonder if that's eligible?
I included receipts for Li-Ion cell phone batteries purchased from Chinese online sellers. Not only were they not bought in Canada, but despite the labelling they're probably fakes that weren't actually made by the defendants in this class action. How am I supposed to know?
veni, vidi, Visa
May 16, 2021
53 posts
524 upvotes
I saw this in an news article so it's legit, you can get $20 if you have purchased any electronics with a lithium ion battery and more if you have any proof of purchase.
Apr 25, 2011
74 posts
76 upvotes
YVR
On 13m that means 650,000 undocumented claims would eat the cake up.

Is there actually a point to do the paperwork for handful of laptops?
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
14270 posts
3503 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
I'm pretty sure my Nokia 5190 came with a NiMH battery. Darn it :D .
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
26225 posts
23277 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
tilo wrote: On 13m that means 650,000 undocumented claims would eat the cake up.

Is there actually a point to do the paperwork for handful of laptops?
Unless they run ads on TV and other media, which AFAIK they haven't so far, it's unlikely that anywhere near that number of people will learn of this settlement. Even if they do, this is for notebooks and batteries bought between 2000 and 2012. Relatively few people are going to read beyond that to learn that they can get $20 by default--if their ethics allow, etc.

Considering that eligible items were bought a decade or more ago the number of people who still have the documentation necessary to apply for more than $20 is limited. I'm relatively well-organized. I found the receipts for 5 eligible notebooks in about 5 minutes. It took another 5 minutes to scan them and submit the application. So for me it was no big hassle.

P.S. FWIW the settlement of the lawnmower class action from a couple of years ago involved only about $7m. IIRC no receipts were required for that one. Some of us got a lot more than $20 from that. No reason why this one can't be just as lucrative to those who have the proper documentation.
veni, vidi, Visa
Dec 14, 2011
680 posts
835 upvotes
Toronto
Is this only for NEC, Samsung, Sony, LG, Toshiba, Maxell and Panasonic products?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)