Living comfortably in Vancouver?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 18th, 2021 8:58 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2017
1214 posts
974 upvotes
GVA
Alpine84 wrote: Thanks! I'll have to check it out, especially the area that already has the addition. I'm only familiar with the stretch along river road near the airport/olympic oval, and the southern tip where I used to pokemon go.
My dad drilled into my head that I should never buy any RE south of marine drive so I guess I am unable to shake his comments even today lol.
Richmond is fine with dykes and lots of pumps and they have $ and plan to do it.
Delta on the other hand...i dont know what they gonna doFace With Tears Of Joy
profit on 6/23/2021 = 117.61% since 11/10/2020 to be exact😎
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2009
4736 posts
3840 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Alpine84 wrote: Thanks! I'll have to check it out, especially the area that already has the addition. I'm only familiar with the stretch along river road near the airport/olympic oval, and the southern tip where I used to pokemon go.
My dad drilled into my head that I should never buy any RE south of marine drive so I guess I am unable to shake his comments even today lol.
I took a few Earth and ocean sciences electives and the only thing I got from them is Richmond liquefaction. The image I get is Richmond and its structures being flushed into the Straight of Georgia lol.
If you buy vgro for a thousand years Vancouver homes will still be out of reach.
Jul 2, 2021
226 posts
239 upvotes
Vancouver
Yeah, when the supposedly "Big One" earthquake hits Vancouver, Richmond is done for according to what I was taught more than 10 years ago.

If I'm buying a condo/house, it's definitely north of Marine Drive.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2020
2853 posts
3408 upvotes
Kresher wrote: Yeah, when the supposedly "Big One" earthquake hits Vancouver, Richmond is done for according to what I was taught more than 10 years ago.

If I'm buying a condo/house, it's definitely north of Marine Drive.
Just curious...if I'm looking on a map, I assume the part of Van between False creek and Stanley Park is the dense tall buildings area we are used to seeing in aerial pictures. Is that also where the office buildings are?

And other than W Van, where are the high end areas? The streetview of homes south of False Cr, so Kitsilano, Greektown etc all the way down to the airport seems super nice. Is that where the well off look to live?
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2009
4736 posts
3840 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
GTA12345 wrote: Just curious...if I'm looking on a map, I assume the part of Van between False creek and Stanley Park is the dense tall buildings area we are used to seeing in aerial pictures. Is that also where the office buildings are?
That's downtown and there are lots of condos there.
And other than W Van, where are the high end areas? The streetview of homes south of False Cr, so Kitsilano, Greektown etc all the way down to the airport seems super nice. Is that where the well off look to live?
In general, west of Cambie street but not Marpole.
If you buy vgro for a thousand years Vancouver homes will still be out of reach.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2009
1907 posts
2256 upvotes
GTA12345 wrote: And other than W Van, where are the high end areas? The streetview of homes south of False Cr, so Kitsilano, Greektown etc all the way down to the airport seems super nice. Is that where the well off look to live?
Depends on how well off you are... shaughnessy is probably the most expensive part of Vancouver. It's also become a designated heritage area, so you won't see some of the horrible new construction in a place like the British Properties.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2020
2853 posts
3408 upvotes
Alpine84 wrote: Depends on how well off you are... shaughnessy is probably the most expensive part of Vancouver. It's also become a designated heritage area, so you won't see some of the horrible new construction in a place like the British Properties.
Interesting. When I put that in Google, it doesn't identify it like the other neighborhoods. It puts a pin near Granville st and w 29th. But basically the same area as the others I guess.

Being not from there, I've only ever really heard west van cited as super rich. I guess I've heard of Kitsilano before, but to be honest, I couldn't have told you it was any diff from outer areas like burnaby, Richmond, Abbotsford etc (not even sure my examples are relevant as "outer" areas). Never heard of Kitsilano being a rich area, and never heard of these other neighborhoods at all. But looking at the homes, I can see why the avg is so high there. Amazing homes.

Is it fair to say these are old money areas? Is west van new money? Or is west van just way out there and not really considered?

Just hard to know if west van is just media hype but not really part of the city life, like Malibu in LA
Jul 2, 2021
226 posts
239 upvotes
Vancouver
West Van is definitely full of old people!

Also the traffic is soooo bad nowadays because they don't have proper infrastructure (public transit) on top of the hellgate bottleneck that is Lions Gate Bridge.

I'd stay away from living in North Shore unless your job is also in North Shore. Commuting over either bridges just sucks.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9277 posts
5104 upvotes
zakarydoks wrote: I took a few Earth and ocean sciences electives and the only thing I got from them is Richmond liquefaction. The image I get is Richmond and its structures being flushed into the Straight of Georgia lol.
I think getting insurance would be a good indicator. If you can get the proper house insurance, the chances are slim and Richmond should be a good bet. Never actually looked into it, but could be an interesting way to learn more.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2009
1907 posts
2256 upvotes
GTA12345 wrote: Interesting. When I put that in Google, it doesn't identify it like the other neighborhoods. It puts a pin near Granville st and w 29th. But basically the same area as the others I guess.

Being not from there, I've only ever really heard west van cited as super rich. I guess I've heard of Kitsilano before, but to be honest, I couldn't have told you it was any diff from outer areas like burnaby, Richmond, Abbotsford etc (not even sure my examples are relevant as "outer" areas). Never heard of Kitsilano being a rich area, and never heard of these other neighborhoods at all. But looking at the homes, I can see why the avg is so high there. Amazing homes.

Is it fair to say these are old money areas? Is west van new money? Or is west van just way out there and not really considered?

Just hard to know if west van is just media hype but not really part of the city life, like Malibu in LA
Granville and 29th would be the right area. The avg home in Shaughnessy is probably 10m. What Zakarydoks said is true, everything west of Cambie (with the exception of Marpole) is where you will find the expensive areas... Others... Point Grey, UBC endowment lands, Dunbar/Southlands, Kerrisdale, Kitsilano, Arbutus, Oakridge, Cambie.... you essentially need 4M before you can even consider living in a newer detached house in the cheapest parts of these areas.

I wouldn't call West Van just media hype. The expensive areas overlook the burrard inlet, stanley park, and downtown Vancouver. If you can afford the holy f*** view, then I don't think the horrible traffic on the bridges to get into DT Vancouver would matter too much because you wouldn't be working class anyways.

All of these areas (including west van) were definitely old money. They used to be the areas where professionals lived while East Side Vancouver was where all the blue-collar workers lived. Today, huge parts of these areas are taken over by foreign capital.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2020
2853 posts
3408 upvotes
Alpine84 wrote: Granville and 29th would be the right area. The avg home in Shaughnessy is probably 10m. What Zakarydoks said is true, everything west of Cambie (with the exception of Marpole) is where you will find the expensive areas... Others... Point Grey, UBC endowment lands, Dunbar/Southlands, Kerrisdale, Kitsilano, Arbutus, Oakridge, Cambie.... you essentially need 4M before you can even consider living in a newer detached house in the cheapest parts of these areas.

I wouldn't call West Van just media hype. The expensive areas overlook the burrard inlet, stanley park, and downtown Vancouver. If you can afford the holy f*** view, then I don't think the horrible traffic on the bridges to get into DT Vancouver would matter too much because you wouldn't be working class anyways.

All of these areas (including west van) were definitely old money. They used to be the areas where professionals lived while East Side Vancouver was where all the blue-collar workers lived. Today, huge parts of these areas are taken over by foreign capital.
Yes, the west van view. Spend time on mls checking those out when I can't sleep.

I've remarked to people how the 10m and up market in Vancouver has far more Wow factor than toronto. Basically here, you get some wow in the bridle path but it's simply monster gated estates. No view, no winding hilltop location, no water. There's water views in Oakville and the beaches area in the city, some wow there, but nothing like the view from west Vancouver. Reminds me very much of the homes up in the Hollywood hills. Both in style and views.

We have some estate property areas that are golf course adjacent, but again, in relative sense, blah.

Basically, spend big multi millions here, get a house in forest hill or Rosedale and it's a boring flat lot. Beautiful homes of course, but no features that pop in the same way. Not a horrible problem to have I guess.
Jul 2, 2021
226 posts
239 upvotes
Vancouver
GTA12345 wrote: Yes, the west van view. Spend time on mls checking those out when I can't sleep.

I've remarked to people how the 10m and up market in Vancouver has far more Wow factor than toronto. Basically here, you get some wow in the bridle path but it's simply monster gated estates. No view, no winding hilltop location, no water. There's water views in Oakville and the beaches area in the city, some wow there, but nothing like the view from west Vancouver. Reminds me very much of the homes up in the Hollywood hills. Both in style and views.

We have some estate property areas that are golf course adjacent, but again, in relative sense, blah.

Basically, spend big multi millions here, get a house in forest hill or Rosedale and it's a boring flat lot. Beautiful homes of course, but no features that pop in the same way. Not a horrible problem to have I guess.
Yep, if you have the money, West Van has the best views for those multi-million houses.