Careers

Living in Toronto and applying to jobs in Ottawa - best way to get my resume looked at?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 4th, 2020 8:33 pm
[OP]
Oct 9, 2011
609 posts
312 upvotes
EAST YORK

Living in Toronto and applying to jobs in Ottawa - best way to get my resume looked at?

I'm currently living in T.O right now and looking to move to the Ottawa/Gatineau/capital area. I know companies prefer to hire locally, so what can I do to make sure my resume actually gets looked at? I can pay for my own relocation costs and everything - I just need to get my resume through to an interview somehow.

One idea I had was to put on my resume that I'm moving to Ottawa in August 2020 or something - maybe show that I'm already in the process of relocating there. The issue is that my current job is at a big multinational corp that doesn't have an office in Ottawa, so even if I remove my work location from the resume it'd be fairly obvious I'm not from there. Plus, my phone number has a Toronto area code.

Any ideas? Should I consider removing location tags from the resume altogether?
10 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11497 posts
7780 upvotes
Edmonton
Could always just get an Ottawa phone number and not bother with the address. Or get an Ottawa PO box.

C
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4399 posts
2488 upvotes
Putting down relocating in August 2020 is good enough. Don't forget Ottawa's job market is not as large as Toronto, and it's quite common for Torontonians relocating to Ottawa to leave the life of traffic, TTC delays, overpriced housing and big city life.

The lack of traffic is hilarious, last year did a road trip and we booked a hotel that was 'outside' the city, usually I book inside the city. I thought it would be too far, but it ended up only 20 minutes INCLUDING time to find parking.
[OP]
Oct 9, 2011
609 posts
312 upvotes
EAST YORK
bhrm wrote: Putting down relocating in August 2020 is good enough. Don't forget Ottawa's job market is not as large as Toronto, and it's quite common for Torontonians relocating to Ottawa to leave the life of traffic, TTC delays, overpriced housing and big city life.

The lack of traffic is hilarious, last year did a road trip and we booked a hotel that was 'outside' the city, usually I book inside the city. I thought it would be too far, but it ended up only 20 minutes INCLUDING time to find parking.
Would that suffice to just put relocating on my resume? I was actually thinking about using a VOIP to get an Ottawa phone number and everything lol
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
1055 posts
796 upvotes
Ottawa
What industry are you applying to?

I relocated from Calgary to Ottawa last year to work with the public service. I applied to uni-lingual positions with 3 departments and went deep into the process for 2 of them. I stopped the 2nd during the interview process when I received an offer from my current agency. I went through the interview process with a private company as well, but they did not proceed with an offer. All of the interview processes began remotely, with me flying out for in-person interviews once we got deeper into the process.

I didn't put anything about my intentions to relocate in either my resume or my application. The act of submitting the application itself implied that.

If your application stands out, they might not care where you live.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4399 posts
2488 upvotes
baddoctor wrote: Would that suffice to just put relocating on my resume? I was actually thinking about using a VOIP to get an Ottawa phone number and everything lol
No need to go that far. If you're not getting response on your application, it's not about your location or relocation plans.
Jan 12, 2011
215 posts
134 upvotes
Toronto
Why do you need to put down anything? Just leave your address off and don't mention anything.
Jan 2, 2013
259 posts
163 upvotes
Toronto
Dynatos wrote: What industry are you applying to?

I relocated from Calgary to Ottawa last year to work with the public service. I applied to uni-lingual positions with 3 departments and went deep into the process for 2 of them. I stopped the 2nd during the interview process when I received an offer from my current agency. I went through the interview process with a private company as well, but they did not proceed with an offer. All of the interview processes began remotely, with me flying out for in-person interviews once we got deeper into the process.

I didn't put anything about my intentions to relocate in either my resume or my application. The act of submitting the application itself implied that.

If your application stands out, they might not care where you live.
Did you pay for your own flights? Must be expensive to book tickets a week or two in advance. Plus difficult to take time off work.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4399 posts
2488 upvotes
redflagger5 wrote: Did you pay for your own flights? Must be expensive to book tickets a week or two in advance. Plus difficult to take time off work.
Unless you're interviewing for a senior position or sought after skill, or a generous company who struggled to fill the position it's going to be out of pocket. However what I find just from old coworkers who made the move, they can accommodate a little by scheduling ALL interviews into one day. Old coworker had entire interview process in one shot as he flew out as soon as he dropped off kids to school, and made it back in time to pick them up. Only possible when flying Porter of course :)
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
1055 posts
796 upvotes
Ottawa
redflagger5 wrote: Did you pay for your own flights? Must be expensive to book tickets a week or two in advance. Plus difficult to take time off work.
I flew for one night for the in person interview for the job I ended up accepting. The role was senior, but I was not compensated for the travel costs. Thankfully I had aeroplan points to cover the last minute flight. I had to be flexible on connections, but last minute rewards flights were available. Toronto is driving distance, though, so it should be more affordable for you to arrange.

My previous employer was very flexible. I was in a senior role with a niche skill set, fairly flexible hours, and a lot of vacation and flex days. Taking a couple days last minute, no questions asked was easy for me.

I only found out after starting that a Skype based interview would have been possible, but HR hadn't volunteered that option, and those who interviewed me have said that flying across the country to attend in person helped me stand out. I don't regret it, except that my then 7 month old didn't sleep and I hear about it from my wife every day for the following month.

I went through a lot of the screening assessments for a role of the same seniority in a different department around the same time, but the offer for an in person interview didn't come until I was already in Ottawa in my new role. As my current role was my preferred, I declined the interview.

I wouldn't put your address in the resume, but I'm sure your resume and application make reference to where you are currently working. Where you are living is likely implied. It definitely was in mine, and I didn't have an issue.

Note that I relocated from Saskatoon to Calgary for my previous role. The relocation was for a junior position. They paid all costs to fly me to Calgary for a day of interviews. That, however, was an on-campus recruitment initative/process and I secured the interview because I knew several well respected employees who already worked for the company, so a bit different scenario.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34448 posts
20475 upvotes
Center of Universe
We've hired many qualified candidates from all over Canada, including interns and co-op students.
If you're a fit, your address isn't going to be a deal breaker.