Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2012
5310 posts
4551 upvotes
Toronto

Loblaw closing 52 unprofitable stores

Anyone surprised by this? Thoughts?

Source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/loblaw- ... -1.3164578
Loblaw Companies Ltd. plans to close 52 unprofitable stores in Canada over the next year, it says in its second-quarter earnings release.

The company made the announcement Thursday, saying the closures will affect all of its banners and formats.

"The list includes gas bars, Joe Fresh standalone stores and select pharmacies and grocery stores," a spokesperson with the company told CBC News.

Loblaw Companies has more than 2,300 stores, including Loblaws, Provigo, and Extra Foods. It also owns Shoppers Drug Mart. The spokesman added that even with the store closures, Loblaw is on track to grow the number of jobs in its network of stores this year.
34 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
9462 posts
11237 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
They open new stores all the time, but when they close some it's news to you?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9231 posts
2902 upvotes
London
They have been absorbing so many other stores, it shouldn't come as a great shock that they will eventually cull the herd.
It's been just over a year since the Shoppers deal finalized, that would have been enough time to see if runts of the litter could hack it or face the ax.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2799 posts
259 upvotes
Vancouver
I say they are shutting down Joe Fresh stores (who the heck shops there?) and maybe a few Shoppers Drug Marts as well.
Nov 28, 2011
881 posts
384 upvotes
Markham
scoobydoo wrote: I say they are shutting down Joe Fresh stores (who the heck shops there?) and maybe a few Shoppers Drug Marts as well.
I like their polo shirts. Don't need to iron them after wash - no wrinkles!
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4539 posts
1094 upvotes
Richmond
So basically loblaws is telling it's store management if they aren't making a certain amount of sales their jobs will be gone. Hopefully that'll get some stores to be more more competitive and competent.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13829 posts
3194 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Who caresss... over priced and overrated.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2011
3049 posts
632 upvotes
Close some stores and super size Shoppers is their intention.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8580 posts
926 upvotes
Scarborough
+1 Exactly. SuperStore is a good example.

aznnorth wrote: Who caresss... over priced and overrated.
Deal Guru
Jun 18, 2012
10568 posts
5208 upvotes
Toronto
aznnorth wrote: Who caresss... over priced and overrated.
their clearance deals are really good... and 50 cents reduced bakery/bread at location near me!
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22336 posts
2980 upvotes
Truth is these stores could be UNIONIZED
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2006
1146 posts
146 upvotes
Calgary
Menace wrote: +1 Exactly. SuperStore is a good example.
Lol Wut - do you shop at the Dollar Store or something?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9277 posts
5104 upvotes
I used to be a devout Superstore shopper buying probably 80% of my groceries there and visiting the store at least once a week. This was for at least ten or fifteen years straight up until about a year ago. Now, we never go and when we do go we shop through the whole store and end up with maybe one or two things that we didn't even really need. In addition, I have noticed that it is easy to get parking near the front of the store whereas before you had to totally fight your way through the parking lot (i.e. it's crickets inside the store).

For anyone from the Loblaws marketing department that is wanting to hear a savvy consumer's perspective, here is some FREE information that may assist with future planning:

1. Your produce is mediocre quality at best but offered at prices that are approaching that of Whole Foods. Why would anyone buy your produce at your prices? Also, half of the last ten fruits and vegetables I purchased from your store were rotten when I got home and had to throw them out. Not sure if this is due to the low turnover that has resulted from your change in business policies or if you are buying substandard produce to begin with but it causes a lot of pain to the consumer either way. For example, when I go to prepare dinner and I found out the onion I purchased from you is rotten, it screws up my cooking plans and now I have to run out and buy another when I'm not expecting to have to.

2. Your product selection has really been reduced to No Name (which is very poor quality) and President's Choice products at uncompetitive prices. Where did my favourite brands and flavours go? Over time, you have dropped one-by-one many of the items on my shopping list. Examples are chocolate flavoured Haagen Dazs (this has returned now but you didn't sell it for a long time), certain flavours of Nature Valley granola bars, certain brands of coffee, etc. In addition, when I was coerced into buying PC brand products I found on at least three occasions, the quality started off to be acceptable on the first purchase but subsequent purchases resulted in an inferior product inside the same packaging. For example, PC ketchup has turned into some kind of watery substance that I will never buy and the package it comes in looks like a bottle but feels like a bag. Your PC Westcoast Blend coffee was pretty good when it first came out but now the price is something like 2.5x what it originally was and the quality is unbelievably bad. I still have an unopened bag in my pantry that I don't know what to do with (i.e. I can't consume it because it's gross and I can't throw it away because I paid good money for it). Need I go on?

3. Your dried beans in the Suraj packaging have also been secretly replaced with defective product. We eat a highly vegetarian diet and I can't believe how your kidney beans and chick peas while they look the same as the ones you used to sell do not hydrate and are crunchy no matter how much you presoak and pressure cook. At first I thought it was because I wasn't preparing these correctly but then I found out that my mom had experienced the exact same thing. I still have many bags of unopened chick peas in my pantry that I will never be able to consume. I really felt cheated.

4. Your prices are too high. You went from serving a highly price-sensitive consumer to cranking your prices to the gills. Was this decision made to cover the costs of your recent renovations? News flash: consumers that shop at your store don't care about how fancy it looks, they just want to feed their family at a reasonable price. If you ask me, the renovations don't do anything to the feel of the store but I'm sure they still cost a lot. What was the intended purpose of these renovations?

There are other things I could mention about my shopping experience at Superstore but I think you get the point. I have been seeing the drastic reduction in how busy the store is and think they have lost a loyal customer base to other stores. This announcement about closing stores is no surprise to me.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9231 posts
2902 upvotes
London
choclover wrote: Also, half of the last ten fruits and vegetables I purchased from your store were rotten when I got home and had to throw them out.
How far is the store from your house?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8580 posts
926 upvotes
Scarborough
No, Walmart or Amazon. For grocery, Asian foodmart.
Chuck Garabedian wrote: Lol Wut - do you shop at the Dollar Store or something?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
6740 posts
6432 upvotes
Ottawa
Ottomaddox wrote: How far is the store from your house?
Cliffhanger: Shops in Vancouver, lives in Montreal.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19929 posts
6859 upvotes
Toronto
Loblaws Flyer specials are often a lot better than every day prices at No frills, Basics and Freshco.
This week, McCain Pizza (900g) is only $3.48 and Cambles select varieties of soup are only 47 cents a can to name a few great deals.

Funny how they're closing 52 stores but opening more up anyway.
Jun 14, 2012
412 posts
36 upvotes
If produce is of poor quality then phone head office or talk to a manager. Sometimes you can be refunded on pc/noname items without hassle as long as you have poof of purchase and the item/upc code. It depends on the cashier/person you're dealing with/ how you deal with them of course.