• Last Updated:
  • Jul 24th, 2021 10:06 am
[OP]
Sep 23, 2018
372 posts
261 upvotes

[Loblaws] EVERYDAY ESSENTIALS 67,000 BTU 5+1B Propane BBQ- 299$

Saw this in upcoming flyer. Price down to 299$+tax
flyer has offer for 20000 points for every $50 spend so practically bringing down price to $180 +tax.
Only pickup or in store purchase.

Is this good starter BBQ? Any feedback before pulling the trigger?
7 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
23887 posts
19714 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
ankysrulz wrote: Is this good starter BBQ? Any feedback before pulling the trigger?
The problem with these low-end BBQs is the poor quality and durability. Expect this thing to be (I'm being charitable) bio-degradable. Note the 1-year warranty. Ask the store who does the warranty. (I doubt it will be them.)

There's a reason why name-brand BBQs with 10, 15 and even lifetime warranties start at $500 for entry level models. If that's beyond your budget then consider "flanker" brands like Broil Mate or Sterling as sold by big box hardware stores. They're better quality. They come with better warranties. And you can easily find replacement parts like burners at reasonable prices.

For more insights see the RFD megathread BBQ Deals Thread
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
3945 posts
4191 upvotes
GTA
They are junk that will start to rust in a few months. They don't make replacement parts for these like they do for Broil King, etc because they know that theses BBQs won't last long enough to need any.
Last edited by tew on Jun 16th, 2021 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 30, 2019
155 posts
179 upvotes
bylo wrote: The problem with these low-end BBQs is the poor quality and durability. Expect this thing to be (I'm being charitable) bio-degradable. Note the 1-year warranty. Ask the store who does the warranty. (I doubt it will be them.)

There's a reason why name-brand BBQs with 10, 15 and even lifetime warranties start at $500 for entry level models. If that's beyond your budget then consider "flanker" brands like Broil Mate or Sterling as sold by big box hardware stores. They're better quality. They come with better warranties. And you can easily find replacement parts like burners at reasonable prices.

For more insights see the RFD megathread BBQ Deals Thread
quoted for truth. if this is the limit of your budget, or if you are just starting out and not sure if bbq'ing is even something you want to do, then i get it--buy this now, but do yourself a favour and start saving so that you can buy a well-made one next time---because there will be a next time.

20 years ago, i was cycling through these barbecues--something broke, or half of the burners stopped working properly, the igniter quit, etc.

10 years ago i invested in a weber genesis ng. it still works flawlessly, and looks near mint to this day (knock on wood).

i paid less than i would have for the use of a bbq (the 3+ i would have owned during that time), and every year is gravy now. . .
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2005
2119 posts
519 upvotes
Scarborough
I purchased one from this brand and the flame does not even rise up at all. I have to cook everything very slowly and it takes forever.
Mar 12, 2012
14 posts
17 upvotes
This!
Did the same, less than a decade ago and if you keep the grills clean (prefer stainless over cast iron), replace the drip tray annually, and give the inside a good scrubbing of burnt stuff regularly, it'll last longer and more cost effective than cycling through cheap ones every 1-2 years.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3490 posts
1115 upvotes
Toronto
Saw this $179 clearance at Loblaws -
Good deal ? Will it get me 4-5 years of usage?