• Last Updated:
  • Aug 4th, 2005 6:50 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2002
1177 posts
9 upvotes
mrmoe wrote:get your facts straight before posting.
Everything in my post is true. Think of it logically for a minute. No Frills is loblaws low end gorcery store that is tailored to low income families. To achieve those lower prices they have to sell lower quality produce/meats. It would not make financial sense for No Frills to be selling the same quality of meat/produce as Zehrs and Comissios for substanially less money.

This is not a theory of mind nor is it speculation. I know a few people that work at one of the loblaws distribution centres. You will never see a zehrs grade product at a No frills store unless someone made a mistake.

When No Frills has meats on special each box of the meat that is on special has a big "No Frills only" sticker on it to prevent an order assembler of shipping that meat to another store.
Banned
May 5, 2005
13286 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto, Canada
sportsfan99 wrote:In bells corners this is not nice but this is how it works.

Loblaws:People who are on the higher end shop here as it is the best of the best for many items.

Loebs:People are in the middle salary range go here loebs is not the best or the worse.

Pricechopper:This is where the so called brown bag people go they are making less then 15,000 or on welfare etc.

Excuse me, EXCUSE ME!!! I neither make $15k/yr or on welfare. I'm just a smart shopper.

THANK YOU.
Banned
May 5, 2005
13286 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto, Canada
dmdsoftware2 wrote:I miss the days of Miracle Food Mart, FoodCity and A&P.

Ah good old Miracle. The 80's were great, weren't they?
Banned
Jul 10, 2005
2489 posts
1 upvote
Emancipated wrote:Excuse me, EXCUSE ME!!! I neither make $15k/yr or on welfare. I'm just a smart shopper.

THANK YOU.
Buddy relax this very well not be the case in every city.But in this small area of ottawa it is.
May 19, 2004
496 posts
1 upvote
Emancipated wrote:Excuse me, EXCUSE ME!!! I neither make $15k/yr or on welfare. I'm just a smart shopper.

THANK YOU.
I'll second the relax from sportsfan99. That's the case in most of these stores in Toronto too. Of course, it doesn't mean that EVERYONE that shops in those stores make under $15k/yr or on welfare (at the one near me I'd say that's about 80% of their customer base), but I'd say that a good chunk of customers there do fall into that category. I really don't think the guy was trying to disrespect you because you shop there, he was just stating the obvious which of course doesn't apply to 100% of the customer base.
Jul 27, 2005
125 posts
radeonboy wrote:Have you ever tried like Costco, or something similar? You get bigger stuff for a good price.
I just have to say something about Costco (or a least the Ajax location). They have good prices on meat, awesome on milk and some other things BUT stay away from their produce section! What is up with them?!? $9.00 for a watermelon!! Bags of apples ranging from 6 to 9 per bag - 5 lb. Grapes $4.XX / kg. (just to mention a few)

I love Costco for their milk but they are not with it with the produce!!!!!!

National Grocer Cash and Carry has the lowest price for produce but have Loblaws pricing for meat.

Know your stores. Know your prices.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
16012 posts
7474 upvotes
RFD
Who cares if No Frills is targeted towards low income families. Thats great for them and for us. Doesn't make them less better than you or I. Personally I shop there because the prices are good. Who cares if the products may not be Grade A+++++++++, they all have to go through inspection so it shouldnt really matter, because food is food, its all gonna go into your stomach then right back out...

eh?
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2003
4797 posts
239 upvotes
Austin/Markham
i usually go to Longo's for produce cause its really fresh and high quality, for canned goods can just go to No Frills, Food Basics, etc. etc.

Loblaws is kind of inbetween those, except lately Longo's bakery so expensve i may just stick to Loblaws.

T&T is pricey on some items, but cheap at nite they give discount in their bakery, also some of their products are of questionable quality, at least their tofu and noodles that need to be refrigerated. T&T is also really crowded 24/7.
__
demandez-lui si elle dormira avec vous pour un LED keychain
Apr 26, 2005
211 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga/Meadowva…
I sometimes go to Costco with people from work but rarely buy anything because it's not worth it. A lot of the frozen and packaged products I see there end up costing the same price as at No Frills or Price Chopper, except you have to buy 3 or 5 of them to get that price. I'm not sure about meat, but the last time I was there I noticed that milk costs more at Costco than it does at Rabba, plus you have to pay a membership fee.

I take transit and don't have an extra freezer, so for me Costco isn't really an option. I do like their free samples and cheap lunches though.
Jul 27, 2005
125 posts
Costco milk - $3.67 for 4L of 2%

Cheaper than that? I'm there. Where???
Apr 26, 2005
211 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga/Meadowva…
Hrmmm, well, when I went to Costco (a couple months ago) it was $4.19 for milk and it's $3.99 at Rabba.

Plus, as I said, no membership fee and they're across the street.
Jun 22, 2005
844 posts
1 upvote
Ottawa
sportsfan99 wrote:So let me get this beacuse i am living good i would not be on rfd that makes no sence at all.
Makes perfect sense.. in the hour you spend surfing RFD hypothetically in that same hour you could be spending your time making a $500 hourly wage or striking multi million dollar business deals which imo would do more for your bottom line than saving a few dollars on some electronic purchase. Although if you were making that much maybe you'd hire someone for minimum wage to surf RFD for you. :P
Jun 22, 2005
844 posts
1 upvote
Ottawa
Manda wrote:Hrmmm, well, when I went to Costco (a couple months ago) it was $4.19 for milk and it's $3.99 at Rabba.

Plus, as I said, no membership fee and they're across the street.
I was just at Costco today in Ottawa (Merivale Rd. location) and it was $3.69 for 4L of 1%/2% milk. Don't ever remember it being $4.19.. although I think Costco may have slightly different pricing on some of their products depending on which store you go to..
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2002
1378 posts
152 upvotes
shutterbug wrote:Is it me or has anyone else noticed Loblaws has jacked prices on lots of things lately? I used to think Longos was the high end but lately I've noticed a few things are at least $1 higher than before. $7.99 for a 450g box of PC cheese sticks! $8.49 for a Delissio frozen pizza?? $4.19 for a single frozen Stouffer meat pie!!!
Stouffers meat pies used to be ~$3.50-$3.75 at Loblaws ~12 years ago.
poppa wrote:No Frills cuts all sorts of corners to offer the lowest price (imo, it's the employees that suffer). If you work night shift, you make 15 cents more! There are no specials of the week, only regular low prices.
Since when? I've been out of Toronto for a couple years but I recall No-Frills had a flyer every week.