• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2020 9:21 am
[OP]
Apr 5, 2010
676 posts
105 upvotes
Regina

Loblaws no longer waiving pickup fee

I guess COVID is officially over everyone! Galen Weston said so! Everyone cram back into the stores!
57 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8353 posts
3794 upvotes
Markham
Don't take certain benefits for granted
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9006 posts
2549 upvotes
London
And they will start charging for bags again pretty soon
Penalty Box
Apr 4, 2017
471 posts
360 upvotes
Ottomaddox wrote: And they will start charging for bags again pretty soon
Shh... Don't give them any more ideas
[OP]
Apr 5, 2010
676 posts
105 upvotes
Regina
FWIW doing some looking at it, looks like my pickup fee is waived Mon-Weds. Anyone have an official statement about the details? I never saw anything in the Galen update patch notes.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
14183 posts
26618 upvotes
Scarborough
Kiraly wrote: Maybe now we PC insiders members who still get free pickup can actually get a slot.
Are you still having trouble finding available slots? I used to have trouble 5 or so weeks ago but since then it's been a lot better. Can usually find open slots the next day.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
14636 posts
11851 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Seems to be it’s just happening RIGHT NOW for the weekend time slots
(May also be store specific)

So best to check your local store

I checked a few chains around me ... and it’s FEE WAIVED during the weekdays
And $ 5 for all Weekend Slots

UPDATE - after the reply # 9 below .. by @the_prairie_prophet i checked further. Ours are the same
FREE = Monday - Tuesday - Wednesday
$ 3 = Thursday & Friday
$ 5 = Saturday & Sunday
Last edited by PointsHubby on Jun 12th, 2020 3:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
14636 posts
11851 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
the_prairie_prophet wrote: FWIW doing some looking at it, looks like my pickup fee is waived Mon-Weds. Anyone have an official statement about the details? I never saw anything in the Galen update patch notes.
He sent out an email about 2 weeks ago saying that as things began opening up across Canada ... there would be changes going more towards normal ... including a phasing back to Pick Up Fees for Click & Collect / PC Express
MAY 21, 2020

Hello again,

It’s been a little more than two months since the COVID-19 crisis landed here in Canada. It was a frantic time and we were all scrambling a bit, figuring out what it meant for each of us and our families.

Since the beginning, I’ve tried to keep you up to date as quickly and directly as possible, sharing the changes we’ve been making to keep everyone safe in our stores. Lately though, it feels like we’re all holding our breath. Waiting for something to lift or ease up. Wondering when we can get back to normal, and what does that “normal” even mean?

Today, it is good to see governments at all levels are able to steadily loosen emergency measures. As that happens, we are also making adjustments in our stores. So, I wanted to make sure I shared those with you directly. In the coming days and weeks, you’ll start to see several positive changes, including:

* Reopening of supermarket service counters in meat, seafood, and bakery
* Reopening of beauty departments at Shoppers Drug Mart
* Reopening of President’s Choice Financial pavilions and our Mobile Shops
* Next-day pick-up at PC Express and the reintroduction of fees for some of the most popular slots
* Once again accepting product returns
* Selling lottery tickets
* Returning to regular store hours

Each of these changes reflect the encouraging prospect of our country slowly reopening. But it’s also important to know everything won’t be quite the same as it was. We continue to maintain our absolute commitment to the health and safety of our colleagues and customers. So, these expanded services will come back slowly and carefully one store at a time, with added procedures to properly protect everyone.

That means you will still see enhanced sanitization, plexiglass shields, and capacity limits. Our colleagues will maintain their commitment to social distancing, and we will count on you to do the same. If you are a senior or a healthcare worker, not to worry, you will still have priority access to our supermarkets just as before.

As the curve continues to flatten across the country, we’ll make further changes and share them with you as we go. We all remain thoughtful and careful about what we do, and I’m optimistic we can stay on this positive trajectory so that things will open up more and more.

Here’s hoping,

Galen Weston
Last edited by PointsHubby on Jun 12th, 2020 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9006 posts
2549 upvotes
London
realtycoon wrote: Shh... Don't give them any more ideas
Most of the other stores I go to have started charging again, while still whining about reusable bags. I'm surprised 'blaws had held off this long.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8353 posts
3794 upvotes
Markham
PointsHubby wrote: He sent out an email about 2 weeks ago saying that as things began opening up across Canada ... there would be changes going more towards normal ... including a phasing back to Pick Up Fees for Click & Collect / PC Express
This makes sense. Instead crowded on weekends, this fee will make workload more evenly and good for social distancing. Probably someone pay fee on Monday, someone pay one Tuesday...,
Last edited by smartie on Jun 12th, 2020 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 24, 2010
906 posts
683 upvotes
Ottawa
TomRFD wrote: Are you still having trouble finding available slots? I used to have trouble 5 or so weeks ago but since then it's been a lot better. Can usually find open slots the next day.
I noticed this as well when I looked last week.

We stopped using PC Express after 2 horrible experiences, though. Maybe the demand is dropping because people used it a couple of times, discovered how crappy it is, and gave up.

For us:
- Rotten produce
- No way to substitute seasonal produce if they're out of an item I selected (i.e., I didn't order oranges because I wanted oranges; I ordered them because they were a good price). I buy 7-10 days worth of produce in a trip, and typically buy what's on for a good price and meal plan around that. If they substitute with something that costs more, I'm either stuck paying for expensive produce or not having enough to get me to the next shopping trip.
- Substitutions that definitely don't match my shopping habits, and they ignore substitution notes. I ordered whole wheat linguine because I wanted whole wheat pasta and the linguine was a good price. I would never have substituted with white linguine.
- 4L milk that expired the following day
- Declining substitutions, but still receiving them (and being charged for them) anyway
- An online and mobile site that's absolutely horrible.
- Time consuming and unreliable price matching process.

I was hoping PC Express would save stress and time, but it ended up taking more time and costing more than going in person.

/rant
Last edited by Dynatos on Jun 13th, 2020 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
9062 posts
10498 upvotes
Vancouver
Ottomaddox wrote: Most of the other stores I go to have started charging again, while still whining about reusable bags. I'm surprised 'blaws had held off this long.
Bags are overrated for grocery shopping anyway if you’re going by car. I keep a couple of Costco boxes in the trunk, I use them for shopping everywhere. Much easier to load/unload groceries in boxes than in bags.