Loblaws no longer waiving pickup fee

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2020 9:21 am
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
1349 posts
998 upvotes
British Columbia
chemicalxv wrote: There's nothing special about it they're just greedy.
While I would rather have it as free the same as anyone, you are ordering potentially a week or two worth of groceries that someone must locate in the store, select substitutions for if unavailable, and ring through the register for you. When you arrive they go over your order and change things as requested then bring everything directly to your car. It is a paid employees time and if this was a normal situation I would expect a fee attached. If you're talking about Save-On offering the same service for free, they charge way more to start with for groceries.

The only thing I find underhanded about the charge is that the pandemic is far from over. Everyone is simply tired of being on high alert and it seems stores are jumping on the bandwagon of going back to normal but COVID19 doesn't actually go away just because you're bored of hearing about it.

The stores recognising that people using this service during this time are more likely in a high risk group and waiving the fee would be a good gesture to continue -- "to support those customers" -- the reason why they got rid of the fees to start with... but money wins out like usual I guess.
[OP]
Apr 5, 2010
676 posts
105 upvotes
Regina
I agree with everything you just said EXCEPT the part about what they do when you arrive. They haven't gone over anything with me any time I've gone there. A couple of times I've had to go back for missed or wrong items (which to be fair they've corrected for me). I get the extra work involved in this, and yeah I suppose a fee isn't the end of the world. But like you say, COVID isn't gone. I have people with compromised health that I need to be in close proximity to, the least amount of exposure to anything the better, so this is how we're doing it until further notice. We'll eat the service fees if we have to, just disappointing is all.
Feb 4, 2011
480 posts
264 upvotes
chemicalxv wrote: I mean they literally have a competitor (maybe not in Ontario, but they do in Western Canada) that has never charged a fee for pickup orders and frequently runs promotions where you can even get free delivery if you spend enough that gets by just fine.

There's nothing special about it they're just greedy.
Oh they do get lots of customers who don't feel entitled like you, so should they expect all customers to be like that?

And can you please define "Greed"
Mar 1, 2017
322 posts
105 upvotes
dealz4all wrote: Oh they do get lots of customers who don't feel entitled like you, so should they expect all customers to be like that?

And can you please define "Greed"
Earning an extra $42 million in profits during a pandemic, and cutting your staff’s wages.
Sep 26, 2008
909 posts
200 upvotes
Ottawa
chemicalxv wrote: I mean they literally have a competitor (maybe not in Ontario, but they do in Western Canada) that has never charged a fee for pickup orders and frequently runs promotions where you can even get free delivery if you spend enough that gets by just fine.

There's nothing special about it they're just greedy.
I've never understood this attitude - they are a for-profit enterprise, not a charity. Suggest voting with your wallet and taking your business to the competitor if you are unhappy with their business practices. If enough people do this, they will change their approach.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2332 posts
1918 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
Ottomaddox wrote: And they will start charging for bags again pretty soon
Sorry to say but that starts tomorrow!
I like credit unions and Honda Civics.
Member with DUCA Credit Union.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10636 posts
1821 upvotes
Toronto
ManCaveGamer wrote: The Weston's are so damn rich, the least they could do is waive pickup fees for a bit longer during this pandemic... the bread fixing crap didn't really do anything for them to drop bread prices either
Come on, they didn't get rich by giving stuff away for free... No one does.

No one has to shop at Loblaws or a store under their umbrella... Shop somewhere else? I find Sobeys is 9/10 times even more expensive than Loblaws is. Which is why I don't shop there... That and their store brand is absolute trash.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2019
1027 posts
1143 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: Maybe now we PC insiders members who still get free pickup can actually get a slot.
When was the last time you tried? First 2 weeks it was bad. Last 6 weeks you can get a slot literally next day.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7958 posts
4352 upvotes
Alberta
XtremeModder wrote: Come on, they didn't get rich by giving stuff away for free... No one does.

No one has to shop at Loblaws or a store under their umbrella... Shop somewhere else? I find Sobeys is 9/10 times even more expensive than Loblaws is. Which is why I don't shop there... That and their store brand is absolute trash.
Yes, Sobeys/Safeway is more expensive but actually isn’t as bad as Save On Foods.
Feb 4, 2011
480 posts
264 upvotes
mikefly wrote: Earning an extra $42 million in profits during a pandemic, and cutting your staff’s wages.
Well, if people thought so, they would be voting with their wallet and this business will vanish in days. Are you betting on this?

So nobody earned a profit during pandemic? Since when earning profit is defined as greed?

Earning profit IS Business 101. If it is so easy, everybody would be owning a business now. Ever remember RIM or Blackberry? Do you believe they went down because they didn't want to earn profit?
Dec 18, 2017
920 posts
521 upvotes
London, On
simplypop wrote: When was the last time you tried? First 2 weeks it was bad. Last 6 weeks you can get a slot literally next day.
On Saturday, my wife put our order in at 1pm. Slots were available as early as 4pm. We picked 7pm since we were busy in the yard and then having supper, and they still called at 6 to say it was ready. This is the same No Frills where only a month ago, we had to have 2 separate accounts just so we could alternate our 2 weeks in advance slots so we could get groceries weekly. They have been doing curbside pickup, if they go back to picking up in store, we might drop it. I had given up on it but now my wife has taken to it and she does the orders and with the increase in slots, and I'm assuming the lower amount of people doing it with the return of the $3 fee, it has been pretty good.
Mar 1, 2017
322 posts
105 upvotes
dealz4all wrote: Well, if people thought so, they would be voting with their wallet and this business will vanish in days. Are you betting on this?

So nobody earned a profit during pandemic? Since when earning profit is defined as greed?

Earning profit IS Business 101. If it is so easy, everybody would be owning a business now. Ever remember RIM or Blackberry? Do you believe they went down because they didn't want to earn profit?
If people voted with their wallets, and didn't shop at Loblaws, No Frills, Shoppers and Superstore? MANY people have not a lot of choice about where they shop.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
14636 posts
11851 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
mikefly wrote: If people voted with their wallets, and didn't shop at Loblaws, No Frills, Shoppers and Superstore? MANY people have not a lot of choice about where they shop.
This

During Covid, in some places the only FREE option for Grocery Curbside Pickup was with PC+ Loblaws Group Stores (Loblaws, YIG, RCSS, No Frills etc). No one else was offering such an important service for those the most vulnerable = people over 60, or with preexisting health conditions.

This mattered a lot to even healthy active seniors that wanted to limit their exposure to other people ... but as retirees were on a fixed income etc.

For the record ... not complaining. We were GRATEFUL that PC+ Loblaws Group offered this service at their stores ... but definitely limited where we could shop, what we could get, and how much we spent on groceries by not being able to shop the bargains etc. We definitely missed having access to Costco FRESH Perishable Food for example (where we usually buy most of our Meats & Fish, Dairy, Cheese etc )
[OP]
Apr 5, 2010
676 posts
105 upvotes
Regina
"During Covid"

This is the thing driving me a little nuts. Yes case numbers have gone down and seem to be somewhat under control, but Covid isn't gone. I agree with the sentiment though, we've been doing most of our curbside pickup at Superstore and Walmart, Save on Foods being the only other option and being generally overpriced comparatively. I'm also grateful for the service, as I am in a household where multiple people have compromised health, exposure is a real concern. But yes, it's not a simple "vote with your wallet", because there simply aren't affordable alternatives. The fact that Loblaws is still raking in money hand over fist also reduces any sympathy I have for their logistics concerns.