Shopping Discussion

Loblaws no longer waiving pickup fee

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2020 9:21 am
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
14481 posts
11686 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
the_prairie_prophet wrote: "During Covid"

This is the thing driving me a little nuts. Yes case numbers have gone down and seem to be somewhat under control, but Covid isn't gone. I agree with the sentiment though, we've been doing most of our curbside pickup at Superstore and Walmart, Save on Foods being the only other option and being generally overpriced comparatively. I'm also grateful for the service, as I am in a household where multiple people have compromised health, exposure is a real concern. But yes, it's not a simple "vote with your wallet", because there simply aren't affordable alternatives. The fact that Loblaws is still raking in money hand over fist also reduces any sympathy I have for their logistics concerns.
Agreed ...

And yes “During Covid” was a bad choice of words ... in so much as Covid hasn’t gone anywhere ... it is far from over (Round # 1 ) ... we just so happen to be smarter in handling it than some other countries ... so our Round # 1 is greatly declining ... enough so that we are in the midst of a Reopening Strategy.

UNFORTUNATELY ... a lot of folks think it’s over ... or that things are going back to normal.

It’s far from normal ... everyone is supposed to be still be cautious & continuing the lessons they’ve learned the last 3 months in regards to cleanliness & distancing ... so we can continue on the good path we are now.

But, chances are some will not ... and we’ll have a major outbreak again that will result in community spread.

Personally, at 60+, we’ve been enjoying a bit of the freedom the last 2 weeks ... actually going into a grocery store, getting to the outdoor garden centre, and even went out for a drink on a patio. BUT ... I am not optimistic that things will last. As I continue to monitor the Covid Numbers for BOTH Quebec & Ontario (seeing as I live in Eastern Ontario ... and am affected by both Provinces residents coming & going).

I do wish that PC+ Loblaws Group hadn’t implemented their Click & Collect / PC Express Fees ... cuz we will still be using those services now and in the future. And we are on the LUCKY side of the coin ... as we have the ability FOR NOW to go into a store. MANY DO NOT (such as yourself, and your family members who are at an even higher risk)

I think I will write Galen a note, telling him I am disappointed that he hasn’t considered the fact that just cuz there’s a lull in Covid Cases ... that the reality of getting this disease hasn’t gone away for many seniors & vulnerable people ... the lull should just mean for the stores that there will be less demand on the Curbside Pickups ... which is A GOOD THING for the store ... AND A GOOD THING for those that TRULY NEED THIS SERVICE TO GET THRU THESE COVID TIMES.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2004
1164 posts
116 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: Bags are overrated for grocery shopping anyway if you’re going by car. I keep a couple of Costco boxes in the trunk, I use them for shopping everywhere. Much easier to load/unload groceries in boxes than in bags.
However many bags I need to comfortably separate grocery items and carry them, I will use them and pay for them. Even 10 bags is $0.50. I don't think I sound like a high-roller here when I say $0.50 x 100 trips = $5 should make a difference in your annual expenses over 52 weeks. (Assume 2 trips per week, 10 bags per week, and I certainly don't use 10 bags a week.) Bringing boxes, reusables are such a hassle, and reusables over time gets dirty and will spoil the items you carry.

The bags are reused to line garbage bags so it's never single use for me, unless they are ripped or are soiled to a point that cannot be used.

I'm sure there is something else where you can save more than $5 per year, vs the effort to avoid paying <$5 a year for plastic bags.
Member
Feb 4, 2011
478 posts
263 upvotes
mikefly wrote: If people voted with their wallets, and didn't shop at Loblaws, No Frills, Shoppers and Superstore? MANY people have not a lot of choice about where they shop.
Well, there is your reality check. And the business knows that too.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
2487 posts
456 upvotes
Vancouver
Ottomaddox wrote: And they will start charging for bags again pretty soon
realtycoon wrote: Shh... Don't give them any more ideas
Shoppers Drug mart in my area already started charging again.
Sr. Member
Sep 26, 2008
888 posts
191 upvotes
Ottawa
From Loblaws' perspective, waiving the pickup fee probably now seems like a classic case of "No good deed goes unpunished". Same thing for the wage bonus. From a PR perspective, they would have been better off not giving it in the first place. Then nobody would be incensed that they reinstated the fees/removed the bonus.

I think they anticipated the backlash to a certain extent by attempting to clearly indicate that these were temporary changes, but clearly it was not effective.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Apr 1, 2015
755 posts
430 upvotes
Scxm Free Zone
Do they charge this fee for all pickup orders?
As per their website they the minimum for pickup is $30.
It would be more reasonable if they charge their fee for orders under a certain minimum amount.
Their faq for pc express confuses me as it says one "may be charged a fee".
Zoomer Wireless happy new customer:
800 mins + 5G LTE data for $36 + $100 new activation credit + $50 credit

Do your part to end the monopoly. Every little bit helps.
Jr. Member
Mar 22, 2020
148 posts
92 upvotes
Jenny1975 wrote: From Loblaws' perspective, waiving the pickup fee probably now seems like a classic case of "No good deed goes unpunished". Same thing for the wage bonus. From a PR perspective, they would have been better off not giving it in the first place. Then nobody would be incensed that they reinstated the fees/removed the bonus.

I think they anticipated the backlash to a certain extent by attempting to clearly indicate that these were temporary changes, but clearly it was not effective.
I think they made a ton of money off these policies and the wage hike helped hire people when they were short staffed. So I feel no sorrow for the ‘no good deed idea.’

They could leave the wage increase and their ‘we would support the gov’t...’ statement lacks backbone - plus I suspect the lobbied against this when there have been efforts to increase minimum wage.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2012
5544 posts
2773 upvotes
Winnipeg
So today (Sunday) I had a not so satisfying experience with PC Express. The RCSS I shop typically charge a fee during the weekends (and free during weekdays). However, when I made a PC express order, it showed a pickup fee waived. Also the order confirmation email I confirmed that pickup fee is free. However, I was charged 5$ pickup fee based on my receipt I got during the pickup. I didn't notice it right away, and now I am wondering what I can do. I already completed the shopping experience survey from the PC Express. Anyone had a similar experience? My original order subtotal was just over 50$ but the final total was about 37$ due to missing items. Also, it took more than 45 minutes for me to receive my groceries.
Sr. Member
May 31, 2008
970 posts
477 upvotes
Toronto
Wpegger wrote: So today (Sunday) I had a not so satisfying experience with PC Express. The RCSS I shop typically charge a fee during the weekends (and free during weekdays). However, when I made a PC express order, it showed a pickup fee waived. Also the order confirmation email I confirmed that pickup fee is free. However, I was charged 5$ pickup fee based on my receipt I got during the pickup. I didn't notice it right away, and now I am wondering what I can do. I already completed the shopping experience survey from the PC Express. Anyone had a similar experience? My original order subtotal was just over 50$ but the final total was about 37$ due to missing items. Also, it took more than 45 minutes for me to receive my groceries.
maybe give them a call and see whats up.
I didnt think all weekdays were free...
45 minutes is crazy. My RCSSS only seems to have 2 ppl working PC Express- its slow- last time i have a 20 minute wait. I cant see to figure out a sweetspot for the best time to pick it up.
Newbie
Apr 6, 2015
4 posts
East York, ON
And now, Monday to Wednesday is no longer free either. As @Jenny1975 said, this is a for-profit company, under no obligation to provide free services.

It is up to us as customers to find the best deals. Walmart curbside pickup for groceries has always been, and still is free for orders over $50. The new Walmart app also automates the whole pickup process, you don't even need to call them up to tell them you're there.
Jr. Member
Jun 20, 2020
114 posts
97 upvotes
BarebonesB wrote: And now, Monday to Wednesday is no longer free either. As @Jenny1975 said, this is a for-profit company, under no obligation to provide free services.

It is up to us as customers to find the best deals. Walmart curbside pickup for groceries has always been, and still is free for orders over $50. The new Walmart app also automates the whole pickup process, you don't even need to call them up to tell them you're there.
Walmart Grocery minimum order must exceed $35 (before taxes and applicable fees).
There are no fees for Walmart Grocery Pickup orders that are picked up in a Walmart store.

From https://www.walmart.ca/en/help/grocery

Top