• Last Updated:
  • May 30th, 2020 10:27 pm
[OP]
Jun 15, 2018
216 posts
1216 upvotes
Toronto

[Loblaws] No Name Canned Tuna - $0.69 (nice) starting May 28

Second page of Loblaws flyer in Ontario - not sure if other provinces have this deal. Never seen canned tuna this cheap before. If you're lucky you may have the 200pts/can offer in the PC optimum app which would make it even cheaper.
Images
  • nice.png
Last edited by sirjimitron on May 27th, 2020 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
64 replies
Nov 29, 2011
793 posts
826 upvotes
might be a silly question, but how does this compare to other brands?

my family usually likes the Ocean brand at Costco

i have no experience with buying tuna, so don't know if the different brands are comparable? or very different?
[OP]
Jun 15, 2018
216 posts
1216 upvotes
Toronto
gotglint wrote: might be a silly question, but how does this compare to other brands?

They taste pretty good to me - can't really tell the difference between these and the Ocean brand ones. At the end of the day they're probably fished by the same boats and they're all canned in Thailand - it's a very simple product so there's not much room for variety.

Then again I'm the kinda person who throws mayo and hot sauce into a can for a quick snack, so take what I say with a grain of salt.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
3725 posts
3993 upvotes
GTA
I've got the offer. Thanks OP
[OP]
Jun 15, 2018
216 posts
1216 upvotes
Toronto
Kfox wrote: I've got the offer. Thanks OP
Make sure to save it so you can use it for the upcoming week
Nov 26, 2015
148 posts
88 upvotes
gotglint wrote: might be a silly question, but how does this compare to other brands?

i have no experience with buying tuna, so don't know if the different brands are comparable? or very different?
No Name Canned Tuna was my tuna of choice when I was a university student simply because of the price. Since getting into the work force, I started buying Ocean's brand at Costco. I find the biggest difference to be quantity of tuna versus water. The Costco tuna is 184 grams with water whereas these No Name tuna cans are 170 grams with water. As the can clearly indicates, there's about 50 grams of water in the No Name leaving about 120 grams of tuna per can. I find there is significantly less water in the Ocean's brand at Costco resulting in a larger amount of actual tuna per can for Ocean's brand from Costco as compared to No Name brand.

I also find there is a quality difference. Generally speaking you get higher quality tuna with Ocean's brand versus No Name. At the end of the day, the quality isn't significant though, particularly for those of us who load it up with mayonnaise, spices, pickles, etc. for sandwiches or a snack.

At $0.69 a can for No Name chunk tuna, I'd load up and forego the quality of the Ocean's brand.
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.