Loblaws

No Name Cheese Bars 400g or Shredded 320g $2.99

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2021 4:41 am
Sep 11, 2009
67 posts
81 upvotes
GTA
Siward44 wrote: I believe milk prices are set to increase somewhere in February by about 8%. Might as well buy some before the price increase.
It's going to be more than that by the time we consumers get to pay for the finished goods. Let's not forget eggs have been increased multiple times the past year and are slated for more as well.

https://financialpost.com/news/retail-m ... -year?s=03

https://www.policyschool.ca/canada-tops ... lk-prices/
Jan 13, 2016
195 posts
350 upvotes
Saskatoon, SK
waloshin wrote: Yes you will need to price match I used the Flipp app.
Pricematch in SK to a store in ON? I don't know that the store will really go for it... but I'm interested in how it worked for you.
Dollar Stores 4 LIFE~!
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2012
1561 posts
783 upvotes
Regina
matthewtravels wrote: Pricematch in SK to a store in ON? I don't know that the store will really go for it... but I'm interested in how it worked for you.
You price match a store in SK in your own city…
Looking to buy Epson HT2150ST
Jan 13, 2012
517 posts
563 upvotes
Vancouver
Border's open, and the price goes under $1/100g for the first time in years? Colour me shocked!

(Thanks though OP)
May 22, 2015
13 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I have no problem calling milk industry cartel because they are, but almond/cashew/walnut milk sounds like BS to me, what's even worse it is BS.
Dec 12, 2007
119 posts
38 upvotes
chimaican wrote: How is the No Name brand when it comes to cheese, quality & taste wise?
Depends on your definition of "cheese". If hydrogenated palm oil and orange food colour, with a dash of wax, is what you consider a cheese, then you're good to go. If your taste buds can discern the subtle nuances
between Roquefort and Stilton, then you should probably give this an easy pass. This "cheese" was a pass for me after the last time I bought it on sale. If I recall correctly it was 1.2kg for $3.99. I can't imagine they have improved the quality since.
Jan 13, 2016
195 posts
350 upvotes
Saskatoon, SK
waloshin wrote: You price match a store in SK in your own city…
Uh. Who has No Name Bars of Cheese for $2.99 this week? Cause nobody in Saskatoon has it advertised that I see.
Dollar Stores 4 LIFE~!
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2012
1561 posts
783 upvotes
Regina
matthewtravels wrote: Uh. Who has No Name Bars of Cheese for $2.99 this week? Cause nobody in Saskatoon has it advertised that I see.
Didn’t say anybody had no name bars… independents have shreds on…
Images
  • CA988EE2-B3EF-4826-B2C0-F5FEEEE41211.png
Jan 13, 2016
195 posts
350 upvotes
Saskatoon, SK
matthewtravels wrote: Independent (at least here in SK) has No Name Shreds for $2.99 starting tomorrow. It's unclear whether it applies to bars as well, since the ad only pictures shreds and doesn't have accompanying text.
waloshin wrote: Didn’t say anybody had no name bars… independents have shreds on…
That is EXACTLY what my first post said. Which you replied to about price-matching. ??????
Dollar Stores 4 LIFE~!
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2012
1561 posts
783 upvotes
Regina
matthewtravels wrote: That is EXACTLY what my first post said. Which you replied to about price-matching. ??????
Oh so angry….
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2011
1622 posts
905 upvotes
SW Ontario
Buford wrote: Depends on your definition of "cheese". If hydrogenated palm oil and orange food colour, with a dash of wax, is what you consider a cheese, then you're good to go. If your taste buds can discern the subtle nuances
between Roquefort and Stilton, then you should probably give this an easy pass. This "cheese" was a pass for me after the last time I bought it on sale. If I recall correctly it was 1.2kg for $3.99. I can't imagine they have improved the quality since.
lol, very true.

All of these cheap block cheeses are pretty much the same. I don't notice any difference across brands to be honest. A slight exception might be the PC Extra Old Cheddar, it actually seems to approach the quality of a real properly aged cheese. The rest are really "cheap cheeses", filler cheese used in a recipe and not a stand alone product you'd serve on a platter to people you like. Anything under a penny per gram is a decent price for these utility grade cheeses.
Oct 17, 2013
445 posts
253 upvotes
Zehrs in Ontario has both on sale too.... I tried to price match at No Frills but no luck as they said we don't price match member pricing. I'm pretty sure they have before. I just went across town and picked them up for the member pricing.
Sep 11, 2009
67 posts
81 upvotes
GTA
greygables wrote: Zehrs in Ontario has both on sale too.... I tried to price match at No Frills but no luck as they said we don't price match member pricing. I'm pretty sure they have before. I just went across town and picked them up for the member pricing.
There should be something posted around the cashier area that outlines their price match policy and which stores they will PM against. There should also be a posting about what happens when the scanned price comes up incorrect and what they have to honour...ie free item if under $10 and a percentage off if over $10 etc...
Sep 11, 2009
67 posts
81 upvotes
GTA
alpha2omega wrote: lol, very true.

All of these cheap block cheeses are pretty much the same. I don't notice any difference across brands to be honest. A slight exception might be the PC Extra Old Cheddar, it actually seems to approach the quality of a real properly aged cheese. The rest are really "cheap cheeses", filler cheese used in a recipe and not a stand alone product you'd serve on a platter to people you like. Anything under a penny per gram is a decent price for these utility grade cheeses.
Agreed 100%. These cheap cheeses are not Balderson 2year aged cheddar calibre! Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2011
1622 posts
905 upvotes
SW Ontario
monkimajikalle wrote: Agreed 100%. These cheap cheeses are not Balderson 2year aged cheddar calibre! Face With Tears Of Joy
That PC one comes close. I don't know who makes it but it's probably close to 2 year old from the way it tastes and crumbles. Costco carries Balderson and what appears to be a re-wrapped Balderson that's decent. They also carry an old cheddar made in Canada, Winnipeg maybe, that's good. They're quality inexpensive cheeses but I think they're closer to 2 cents per gram on sale.

It's too bad Pine River closed. They made a 7 year old cheddar that was so good. It's hard to find good local cheese here in Ontario anymore. I guess Quebec still has a decent cheese industry.
Oct 17, 2013
445 posts
253 upvotes
monkimajikalle wrote: There should be something posted around the cashier area that outlines their price match policy and which stores they will PM against. There should also be a posting about what happens when the scanned price comes up incorrect and what they have to honour...ie free item if under $10 and a percentage off if over $10 etc...
Yes they should for sure... The cashier may have well been right and I think many in the past just let go but this time it was no
Sep 11, 2009
67 posts
81 upvotes
GTA
greygables wrote: Yes they should for sure... The cashier may have well been right and I think many in the past just let go but this time it was no
Both my local RCSS and No Frills have both of these posted.
Sep 11, 2009
67 posts
81 upvotes
GTA
alpha2omega wrote: That PC one comes close. I don't know who makes it but it's probably close to 2 year old from the way it tastes and crumbles. Costco carries Balderson and what appears to be a re-wrapped Balderson that's decent. They also carry an old cheddar made in Canada, Winnipeg maybe, that's good. They're quality inexpensive cheeses but I think they're closer to 2 cents per gram on sale.

It's too bad Pine River closed. They made a 7 year old cheddar that was so good. It's hard to find good local cheese here in Ontario anymore. I guess Quebec still has a decent cheese industry.
I have never tried the PC old but will keep in mind for the future. Given the size of Loblaw/PC brand I'm sure they are using one of the few large dairy (cartel) cheese makers. I saw an aged white cheddar at Costco the other day and it was from a brand I had never heard of before from Manitoba so I guess that's the Winnipeg one you mention.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)