Expired Hot Deals

[Loblaws] PC Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese $2.99/100g

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 25th, 2019 5:26 pm
Tags:
May 26, 2011
623 posts
357 upvotes
Not a bad price, but I've had it for $6/250g on sale at rcss a few months ago, in addition, I had 200pts/$ on deli cheese offer in my PCO app.

Hard cheeses freeze well after opening, and they often have long until best before date on package.
Freedom mobile, booking.com, airbnb, AMEX, Great Canadian Rebates (GCR), Ebates, Top Cash Back, Groupon, Livingsocial, Foodora, Doordash, SkipTheDishes, Drop, TransferWise, Questrade, EQ, Achieva, PayTM, Simplii and Tangerine customer.
Aug 17, 2006
693 posts
136 upvotes
loopy1984 wrote: How can PC even use the name Parmigiano Reggiano? When you've had the real stuff, its like comparing a Ferrari to a Nissan
From the article referenced above "in the US, the law protects only the name “Parmigiano-Reggiano”". I expect it's the same in Canada. Which is not to say that fraud doesn't happen. Have you tasted Parmigiano Reggiano purchased from Superstore? It's an entirely different beast from what is sold in Canada as Parmesan.
"The bicycle is the most efficient machine ever created: Converting calories into gas, a bicycle gets the equivalent of three thousand miles per gallon."
-Bill Strickland
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
16224 posts
5505 upvotes
Diskdoctor wrote: Have you tasted Parmigiano Reggiano purchased from Superstore? It's an entirely different beast from what is sold in Canada as Parmesan.
When i had first heard of Parmigiano Reggiano i had googled it and had come across this
https://www.besthealthmag.ca/best-eats/ ... -reggiano/

I still have not tried it yet but maybe this sale will get be buying it
In Japan, the hand can be used like a knife.
But this method doesn't work with a tomato...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
7012 posts
2664 upvotes
Calgary
TomRFD wrote: It's always interesting to learn about other options. I'm sure a decent amount of users here do visit the US. I for one never considered buying this in the US before but now I actually might.
Wait. Are you saying we're allowed to bring cheese back from the US? I have thought about that many times but was afraid my cheese will end into the bin or someone else's fridge.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
2714 posts
1047 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote: For sure and I'm only criticizing, as deals are always better in the US.
Not always. Example: granulated sugar
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
7012 posts
2664 upvotes
Calgary
TomLafinsky wrote: Of course you can buy cheese in America and bring it back to Canada. But there are specific limits and when you go over they charge you an insane amount of penalty. Never cross the border to only buy cheese. Unless you stay within what is allowed by law.

Mind you, I have often exceeded the limit but my US$30-40 cheese purchase was part of US$600+ of food purchased. Not to mention the additional US$200-500 taxable from HD or Wally USA purchased during the same trip.
I go to the US a few times every year and each time I stay for, at least, a week or two. Some people in Ontario may be able to drive across the border just to buy cheese but to us Albertans that's not a very practical way to buy US cheese.

The reason I asked... my cream cheese got confiscated on our flight back from San Diego a few years ago. I just assumed some cheese (at least the soft kinds) are not allowed on the plane. I also know there are some sort of regulations for importing cheese into the US. My friends came back to Florida with cheese from Holland and all of them got confiscated at US immigration. There must be some rules when it comes to importing cheese; I can't say I understand them fully.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2006
1666 posts
1178 upvotes
maniac2403 wrote: How do you guys finish the entire kilo of cheese. Haven't figured out a way to store it. Maybe freezer?
I shredded/shaved/diced the block and then freezed in small containers for a longer period than just in the cool fridge.
Have them defrosted in fridge when needed or at room temp before serving.

I bought mine at Costco for better taste/quality.
LIVE LONG and suffer ...

:arrow: PEACE :arrowl:

My Missus said " I don't tell you how to spend your $$, Don't tell me how to spend your $$."
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
1493 posts
2885 upvotes
loopy1984 wrote: How can PC even use the name Parmigiano Reggiano? When you've had the real stuff, its like comparing a Ferrari to a Nissan
They can, because it’s actually DOP Parmesan reggiano from Italy. Many companies sell products they didn’t make under their brand, especially private labels.

I agree with your point about the “real” cheese being better, terroir plays a factor when it comes to a cheese and a reggiano from a specific high quality producer (that would not be able to sell 100g for $2.99) in Italy would absolutely, no doubt, blow this stuff out of the water.

Because of crazy corruption in Italy for DOP food products like Reggiano and San Marzano tomatoes it’s a little sketchy whether or not you actually are getting real DOP stuff. But that’s a different story altogether.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
31189 posts
16953 upvotes
Ottawa
beachlover wrote: Not always. Example: granulated sugar
$1.99 with coupon a good price?
I randomly searched Walgreens.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
3404 posts
3476 upvotes
GTA
What Loblaws is selling is Parmigiano Reggiano PDO (Protected Designation of Origin) meaning it is authentic Italian. The name is protected in the CETA trade agreement, so anything sold in Canada labelled as Parmigiano Reggiano PDO must come from the designated provinces in Italy that produce it.
https://www.parmigianoreggiano.com/wher ... fault.aspx
https://www.parmigianoreggiano.com/cons ... fault.aspx
Images
  • parm.PNG
  • parm2.PNG
Oct 27, 2016
100 posts
86 upvotes
Winnipeg
Good deal, thanks OP. This is my go-to cheese for shaving, grating and even as a dessert when I'm on a diet.
Sure there are better ones out there (in Italy especially), but like other people said, this is light-years away from the no-brand/cheap grated cheese.
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
11035 posts
1144 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: $1.99 with coupon a good price?
I randomly searched Walgreens.
I used to think everything was a better deal in the US a long time ago. Perhaps it actually was back then.

However recently after staying in the states for a few months and actually doing price comparisons and currency exchanges constantly, I would say it isn't that much better. Many things are cheaper but many things are same or more. A lot depends on what you are buying obviously, but I was constantly surprised when I found things weren't all much cheaper.

All that Said, I love buying tons of cheese at US Costco's. Good prices and more importantly better selection than in Canada.
Last edited by slowtyper on Mar 22nd, 2019 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
7012 posts
2664 upvotes
Calgary
TomLafinsky wrote: Crossing the border by plane and crossing the border by car are two different worlds. It shouldn't be, but it is.
I figured. :lol:
Penalty Box
Jan 27, 2014
4794 posts
1900 upvotes
maniac2403 wrote: Costco here I come. Thank you guys for the inches I am about to add to my waist. Delish..
Cheese is healthy.

What do you guys use this cheese for? I've only used it previously on caesar salads. What are some other uses?
Nov 23, 2012
447 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto
TomLafinsky wrote: If you shop at warehouses in America you can get Parmigiano Reggiano for US$5-6/lbs (US$11 - US$13/Kg). Needless to say I always buy my cheese south of the border.
Where in US do you buy these? Thanks.