Expired Hot Deals

[Loblaws] PC Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese $2.99/100g

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 25th, 2019 5:26 pm
Tags:
Jun 8, 2008
662 posts
165 upvotes
TomLafinsky wrote: If you shop at warehouses in America you can get Parmigiano Reggiano for US$5-6/lbs (US$11 - US$13/Kg). Needless to say I always buy my cheese south of the border.
What's warehouses? Is that a particular store, can you be more specific? I know about Trader Joe's etc, but is warehouse a particular brand? That price seems really good.
Oct 2, 2009
379 posts
216 upvotes
maniac2403 wrote: How do you guys finish the entire kilo of cheese. Haven't figured out a way to store it. Maybe freezer?
Portion out into something that makes sense ie (1 weeks worth). Double cling wrap and put into ziplock. Try to get all the air out (dunking a ziplock back in a bowl of water will get 90% of the air out.)

Pull 1 day ahead into fridge.
Oct 2, 2009
379 posts
216 upvotes
ar2020 wrote: Cheese is healthy.

What do you guys use this cheese for? I've only used it previously on caesar salads. What are some other uses?
Cacio e pepe (need to get some pecorino though)
Cheesey toast (dont judge me XD)
Any pasta really

Get a real microplane if you dont already. Makes a huge difference in melt ability and you use way less.
Oct 2, 2009
379 posts
216 upvotes
Grimes wrote: I'm just going to say it: Multiple times in the past few months, I've bought a block of Parmigiano-Reggiano and devoured it over a couple of days. It's my favorite thing in the world.
Damn...stuff's quite salty
You do you though :)
Jan 25, 2014
126 posts
197 upvotes
Mississauga
Thanks OP, picked up a wedge.
May 8, 2007
978 posts
272 upvotes
Fraser Valley, BC
I got a big wedge from Costco a few years ago and froze some of it, quality goes down a bit after freezing. Next wedge I just kept in the fridge but some mold started to grow after several months.

Most recent big wedge I got from Walmart and kept entire wedge in the fridge. Surprisingly a year later it's still good with no mold growth, I am careful about handling it and use a new plastic bag every few weeks to avoid contamination.

I use this cheese almost every day, it has so much flavour that only a small amount is needed. I keep a small grater in fridge with the cheese.
- grate the Parmesan (also with cheddar) into a chili burrito before heating
- grate some on top of hot pizza
- use as extra ingredient in chili con carne
- add to various salads, soups, macaroni & cheese
- add on top of pasta
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
5722 posts
2430 upvotes
you can also buy the ground up rinds for this. Pretty tasty.
May 8, 2007
978 posts
272 upvotes
Fraser Valley, BC
badOne wrote: you can also buy the ground up rinds for this. Pretty tasty.
I have seen TV chefs (Stefano) recommend putting the rind in a cooking batch of spaghetti sauce as it is supposed to add a lot of flavour, and wondered about this.

I searched for info on the parmesan rind and it looks like it's OK to use in sauces, stock etc, and maybe for actual eating or grating on pasta etc.

What is the rind made from, is it some type of wax used for coating the cheese wheel, or is it the outer layer of cheese that has become hard (and probably extra salty) from the brine the cheese is put in as part of the processing?
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2015
2139 posts
741 upvotes
Ontario
adams7 wrote: I have seen TV chefs (Stefano) recommend putting the rind in a cooking batch of spaghetti sauce as it is supposed to add a lot of flavour, and wondered about this.

I searched for info on the parmesan rind and it looks like it's OK to use in sauces, stock etc, and maybe for actual eating or grating on pasta etc.

What is the rind made from, is it some type of wax used for coating the cheese wheel, or is it the outer layer of cheese that has become hard (and probably extra salty) from the brine the cheese is put in as part of the processing?
Last part, it's hardened cheese outer layer, not wax