Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Loblaws

PC Plus Redemption Event - June 29 and 30 - (Up to 20% Back)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 8th, 2017 8:46 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
4047 posts
3277 upvotes
Ottawa
I've been saving the points after the last points redeem event. Unfortunately the guy who stole the points to buy GCs screwed it up for everyone else in Canada. Imagine the action of one individual affects the policy for the entire country. :twisted:

I too have trouble taking advantage of this redeem promotion because I don't see anything worth getting to use the bonus points redemption like many of us here.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29132 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
tim.ng07 wrote: unfortunately it It isn't happening at Superstore.
Of course. That's where one can use large points balances on electronics, appliances, housewares, clothes, etc. I realize some of the other stores also carry that stuff but their selection tends to be a lot slimmer.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29132 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
gumby wrote: I've been saving the points after the last points redeem event. Unfortunately the guy who stole the points to buy GCs screwed it up for everyone else in Canada. Imagine the action of one individual affects the policy for the entire country. :twisted:

I too have trouble taking advantage of this redeem promotion because I don't see anything worth getting to use the bonus points redemption like many of us here.
I suspect they're using that fraud as the pretext to end points redemptions for GCs. They'd rather you use the points to buy stuff at their stores because the effective cost to them is lower, i.e. if you redeem for $100 in groceries their cost is perhaps $80 or $90 but if you redeem for a $100 GC they have to pay out the full $100.

Same with the redemption bonus. GCs can be converted to cash at 1:1. Then they pay a bonus on that so effectively they're paying you more than $1 for every 100 points. But if you have to spend the points only at Loblaws-chain stores then the merchandise costs them less than the retail value -- and you may buy stuff on impulse to get the bonus that you wouldn't buy otherwise or that you'd buy elsewhere for a lower cost.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
4047 posts
3277 upvotes
Ottawa
bylo wrote: I suspect they're using that fraud as the pretext to end points redemptions for GCs. They'd rather you use the points to buy stuff at their stores because the effective cost to them is lower, i.e. if you redeem for $100 in groceries their cost is perhaps $80 or $90 but if you redeem for a $100 GC they have to pay out the full $100.

Same with the redemption bonus. GCs can be converted to cash at 1:1. Then they pay a bonus on that so effectively they're paying you more than $1 for every 100 points. But if you have to spend the points only at Loblaws-chain stores then the merchandise costs them less than the retail value -- and you may buy stuff on impulse to get the bonus that you wouldn't buy otherwise or that you'd buy elsewhere for a lower cost.
Agreed, it makes financial sense to them at our expense. They'll probably change Optimum policy to match PC Plus wrt GC redemption citing the same "logic" Smiling Face With Horns

BTW, I downvoted your post instead of upvoting because you want to boost your downvote count Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2004
2716 posts
3029 upvotes
Oakville
bubble.tea wrote: fwiw, I don't think I've EVER seen anything like this in the past 3-4years when we started using them. Coming SDM & their bonus redemptions, this was a question I immediately enquired about as to what was the optimal way to redeem the points. Each time I asked, I was told, no reason to save them.
There were two of these events last year
Jun 27, 2017
261 posts
348 upvotes
fancypantsfloyd wrote: Anyone have any suggestions on what to redeem? I have enough to redeem 100K to get the 15K points, but didn't find anything worthwhile in the flyer. Considering just waiting for the next event when I'd hopefully have 150K, but then I'd have the same delimma as now with finding $150 worth of things to buy :)
I just went to Zehrs and they had it on instore plastered everywhere. Grabbed some Joe Fresh 150 t-shirts and had a Joe Fresh offer in the app this week and loaded up on Chicken Breast @ 2.99/lb, which is a great price. I squeezed in over $150 and redeemed and got back $30 on pts, so feels like a pretty good score for things I would have been buying anyways.
Last edited by topshot on Jun 29th, 2017 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2006
6502 posts
2550 upvotes
Calgary
I called city market in Calgary and they don't know anything about it, please someone post if you find otherwise.
May 31, 2011
327 posts
43 upvotes
Not sure what went wrong at Atlantic Superstore, but they told me I could only redeem 40K at checkout, so I refused to make the purchase and went to their customer service where they verified I had enough points and let me redeem the 50K, but I never got the bonus 5K. 40K is the most you could redeem without qualifying for the promotion, so something must be screwed up with how it's being implemented. Guess I'll just submit online for the missing points.
May 6, 2010
527 posts
219 upvotes
Ottawa
sisyphe wrote: Not sure what went wrong at Atlantic Superstore, but they told me I could only redeem 40K at checkout, so I refused to make the purchase and went to their customer service where they verified I had enough points and let me redeem the 50K, but I never got the bonus 5K. 40K is the most you could redeem without qualifying for the promotion, so something must be screwed up with how it's being implemented. Guess I'll just submit online for the missing points.
I just did it at Loblaws, and theres a barcode they have to scan in order for you to get the bonus points. Guessing that was missed with your transaction?
May 31, 2011
327 posts
43 upvotes
tim.ng07 wrote: I just did it at Loblaws, and theres a barcode they have to scan in order for you to get the bonus points. Guessing that was missed with your transaction?
Yeah, that's how it was in the past. Fortunately, they responded to my missing points request and applied my missing points. Freaked me out in line when they told me I only had 40K I could redeem though, because I thought someone had stolen my points or something.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2009
1729 posts
3230 upvotes
Ottawa
Maybe a stupid question, but can you shop, buy something that is $150, buy a $100GC, then immediately return that product? I believe they would use the points towards the purchase, and not the GC, so you would just get the points back and it clawed back on your account? I don't really want to redeem points at Loblaws for something other than that. I was specifically saving up my points for the next event to cash them in on Loblaws GC's and then someone screwed everyone over.
Jun 27, 2017
261 posts
348 upvotes
ottawa_guy wrote: Maybe a stupid question, but can you shop, buy something that is $150, buy a $100GC, then immediately return that product? I believe they would use the points towards the purchase, and not the GC, so you would just get the points back and it clawed back on your account? I don't really want to redeem points at Loblaws for something other than that. I was specifically saving up my points for the next event to cash them in on Loblaws GC's and then someone screwed everyone over.
Tried it and points wouldn't apply toward the gift card - error message at the till. I just purchased my regular groceries and will use the savings to buy a GC.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2004
2716 posts
3029 upvotes
Oakville
Stocked up on the $2.99 chicken thighs and breasts, bunch of other sale items, and a bit of splurging on cheeses and antipasto to get over the $150. I also had a couple of beers in my cart and the cashier didn't say anything about not letting me redeem points for them. Weird. It would have been nice if they still allowed gift card purchases, but a mini shopping spree was nice too.
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2007
3146 posts
1489 upvotes
Ridamark wrote: You CANT just flat out buy them anymore but there is a workaround so you cans till do it. If you spend the same amount of $ on groceries then they allow you to buy that same amount in gift cards.
...but can I BUY gift cards then REDEEM POINTS for Gift Cards with the bonus?

I'm going to purchase an iPhone X from the Mobile Shop with my current gift cards / points, so could I buy the gift cards I'll need for that purchase NOW, then cash in my 360,000 points NOW for bonus value on a PC gift card... would that work?
There is no god. But it still feels good to be kind to people, animals, and the environment, so keep doing that.
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2007
3146 posts
1489 upvotes
bylo wrote: you have to spend the points only at Loblaws-chain stores then the merchandise costs them less than the retail value
Sometimes MUCH less... and other times MUCH MUCH less.

But they should allow you to redeem for LOBLAWS / PC GIft Cards, just not OTHER store gift cards on which they lose money because for this promotion (if they still let you purchase gift cards) they'd be giving you $180 in gift card value (that they have to send with minor commission to the other vendor) so they were losing money on the points from that perspective... a loyalty program that provides "disloyalty rewards" (i.e. spending the points ELSEWHERE at cost to the loyalty program provider) isn't good business.
There is no god. But it still feels good to be kind to people, animals, and the environment, so keep doing that.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
7618 posts
5702 upvotes
Ottawa
Does it work at superstore?
Buy Nice or Buy Twice.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2004
1726 posts
685 upvotes
and what freebies at all your local loblaws/zehrs/superstore today from 3-7pm? loblaws etobicoke east mall charging $3 for burgers, $2 for hotdogs and free pop and free candies, desserts, cupcakes, popcorn, juice/pop samples, icre cream sammies, freezies; bbq should have been free today and volunteer donation for charity considering loblaws prices :)
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29132 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
veni, vidi, Visa
Jan 14, 2017
712 posts
400 upvotes