Food & Drink

Loblaws Or Presidents Choice Quality

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 22nd, 2020 10:15 am
Mar 22, 2010
412 posts
11 upvotes

Loblaws Or Presidents Choice Quality

Hi All I bought a package Of PC Prime Rib Burgers Not so long ago and To me They don't taste Like Prime Rib Burgers at all .In fact they made a lousy burger , Am I the only one that thinks Their quality has gone down hill ? Who know where they source their meat from anymore !
11 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2758 posts
858 upvotes
Whitby
You can tell by the establishment number on the box. Type it in the CFIA for meat processors and it will tell you the company.
They were made by Centennial back in the late 90's/early 00 that I know of.
It's pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove
May 28, 2012
12484 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
If you don't like it, take it back for a refund, no questions asked. I think a lot of retailers have a satisfaction guarantee on their branded products. I don't mind PC branded stuff. I almost never buy no name, but the PC Black label items I've tried were all very good.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
I never thought I'd hear "Loblaws" and "Quality" in the same sentence.

Pretty much everything I've tried of their house brands has been meh at best and an unmitigated dumpster fire at worst.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21708 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
raymondly wrote: You can tell by the establishment number on the box.
I believe you mean packaging. The PC burgers are no longer in boxes, as far as I know...
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21708 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
Keelenorth wrote: Hi All I bought a package Of PC Prime Rib Burgers Not so long ago and To me They don't taste Like Prime Rib Burgers at all .In fact they made a lousy burger , Am I the only one that thinks Their quality has gone down hill ? Who know where they source their meat from anymore !
I have to say the PC Prime rib burgers are okay, but taste like ordinary burgers. Nothing special. Not lousy to me, but not bells and whistles either.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
It's not a quality thing, it's how they seasoned it. At least I find the seasoning a little strong for my tastes. They should make a PC salt and pepper burger.

Definitely stay away from the Butcher's Choice ones: also Loblaws but even stronger tasting.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21708 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
lecale wrote: It's not a quality thing, it's how they seasoned it. At least I find the seasoning a little strong for my tastes. They should make a PC salt and pepper burger.

Definitely stay away from the Butcher's Choice ones: also Loblaws but even stronger tasting.
There might be less salt in the PC Blue Menu burgers...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6029 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
I remember having those PC prime rib burgers around 15+ years ago when they first came out in Insiders. At that time, yes, it tasted like prime rib!

The times I had frozen burgers in the last 10 years are few and far between to remember. I wouldn't be surprised if PC had multiple changes to their burger suppliers.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: There might be less salt in the PC Blue Menu burgers...
It's not the salt it's the "beef extract, maltodextrin, ... glucose solids, spices." And then the Butcher's Choice brand (also Loblaws) are like double-dose of that.

Anything without added flavour - non-instant oatmeal, sour cream, plain cream cheese, white/italian/half-rye bread, deli cheese, sure I'll buy No Name/PC/PCBL.

Anything where the PC flavour engineers get involved though - chips, dips, condiments, spice blends, marinated or frozen meats, flavoured teas, beverages, what they did to egg nog! - NOPE.

I hate to say it but even Walmart has far better flavours and I think Metro/Food Basics does flavours best. Loblaws, they do a mean plain.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
lecale wrote: Anything without added flavour - non-instant oatmeal, sour cream, plain cream cheese, white/italian/half-rye bread, deli cheese, sure I'll buy No Name/PC/PCBL.
Even there... (Unflavored) Oatmeal you can't screw up. Sour cream is also pretty hard.
Cream cheese, actual cheese can be cheaped out on butterfat or jacked up in moisture to make it weird.
Bread I will for sure fight you on because their bread is just awful. Walmart is by far worse but Loblaws "house" bread just sucks.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: Even there... (Unflavored) Oatmeal you can't screw up. Sour cream is also pretty hard.
Cream cheese, actual cheese can be cheaped out on butterfat or jacked up in moisture to make it weird.
Bread I will for sure fight you on because their bread is just awful. Walmart is by far worse but Loblaws "house" bread just sucks.
They can do an ok baguette but I agree, their in-house bakery isn't that nice. Their buns are airy and dry with a thin fine crust, and very quick to stale. The alternative is the Ace product that is crustier than a barnacle. Packaged, I buy the Rubschlager marble rye all the time, and I'm very happy with it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)