Apr 16, 2002
21936 posts
25325 upvotes
Toronto

Loblaws self-serve w/coupon question

hey there
not sure if just lazy staff or a system glitch/loophole

I got a coupon from Miss Vickies due to their product recall

Took coupon to Loblaws (Dupont/Christie) yesterday. Picked up chips and went to self-serve checkout. Asked staffer about coupon. She said put it in yourself. So I did that. Set coupon value of $4.99 and got my free chips.

Question though, it never had me input or scan the coupon. Didn't have me input any info from the coupon other than value. No staffer took coupon from me or validated it?

What's to stop scammers for putting in imaginary coupons for everything they buy?
"I felt a great disturbance at KFC as if millions of chickens suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced." RFD user stephroll
12 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2017
1232 posts
1035 upvotes
Calgary
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure it sends a message to their terminal and they have to approve it. Otherwise it'll ask them to come over when you checkout.
Aug 12, 2014
246 posts
168 upvotes
Toronto, ON
sprung wrote: hey there

Took coupon to Loblaws (Dupont/Christie) yesterday. Picked up chips and went to self-serve checkout. Asked staffer about coupon. She said put it in yourself. So I did that. Set coupon value of $4.99 and got my free chips.

Question though, it never had me input or scan the coupon. Didn't have me input any info from the coupon other than value. No staffer took coupon from me or validated it?

What's to stop scammers for putting in imaginary coupons for everything they buy?
when using coupons (ex: manufacturer coupon, bottles return coupon) or applying "near expiring" discount, i always go to a human cashier since some store require authorization from an employee before finalizing the transaction. it could be longer sometimes and irritating. same for price match, never go to the self check out
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2002
5643 posts
4609 upvotes
Vancouver
sprung wrote: hey there

Loblaws have changed the system slightly during covid to avoid unnecessary contact. An honest person would give the coupon to the attendant. A thief would try to walk out the door without 'paying'.

Ron.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2811 posts
2101 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
sprung wrote: What's to stop scammers for putting in imaginary coupons for everything they buy?
Maybe the fact it's a criminal offence?
You're not the first person to come up with this cunning plan :-) Retailers have strategies in place to monitor for this sort of behaviour, and self-serve checkouts are constantly monitored.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2002
5643 posts
4609 upvotes
Vancouver
ALLCAPS wrote: Maybe the fact it's a criminal offence?
You're not the first person to come up with this cunning plan :-) Retailers have strategies in place to monitor for this sort of behaviour, and self-serve checkouts are constantly monitored.
Exactly. If you scan your PC Optimum card at Self Checkout.. they know exactly who you are and can easily match the transaction to you if they need to 'follow up' on something.

Ron.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
12008 posts
8699 upvotes
GTA, ON
As I recall the employee watching over the self checkout normally verifies the coupon but I could be wrong.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
3806 posts
2604 upvotes
Vancouver
newfbc wrote: Loblaws have changed the system slightly during covid to avoid unnecessary contact. An honest person would give the coupon to the attendant. A thief would try to walk out the door without 'paying'.

Ron.
To be fair, the self-checkout terminal doesn't tell customers to do anything. And often, there's no attendant monitoring the terminals. A lot of honest people wouldn't bother getting an attendant to raise the issue, especially during COVID times.
Nov 4, 2011
646 posts
410 upvotes
YYZ
One store near me has a coupon bucket at the self check. Sometimes they're proactive and will collect it from me when I pass by them, other times I drop it off at customer service on my way out.

I'll neither confirm nor deny that if you go over a certain threshold, it'll prompt for verification. But it's a new enhancement (from back in the spring) to reduce touchpoints at self check.
Jul 5, 2008
81 posts
65 upvotes
GTA
You're supposed to hand the coupon to the self-serve attendant. I do it before finalizing the transaction so the attendant could verify on the screen.
May 28, 2012
11227 posts
3429 upvotes
Saskatoon
There's no Loblaws here but we do have RCSS...you hand the coupon to the cashier (at the beginning of the pandemic, they just held out a basket to put in coupons). For manufacturer coupons, they need the actual piece of paper to submit or they won't get compensated for it. If it was for a free product, they have to write down the price of the item on the coupon. Might have been a cashier error or they were extremely busy and missed it but (imo) there's a bit of personal responsibility on the customer's part too (I would have flagged the cashier to hand over the coupon rather than wait for them to approach me).
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
4455 posts
2577 upvotes
newfbc wrote: Exactly. If you scan your PC Optimum card at Self Checkout.. they know exactly who you are and can easily match the transaction to you if they need to 'follow up' on something.

Ron.
Only a dump thief would use his own card.