Shopping Discussion

Are local retailers any match to Amazon.ca?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 20th, 2017 8:56 am
Sep 4, 2016
904 posts
350 upvotes

Are local retailers any match to Amazon.ca?

Let's be honest, I don't think they are. Amazon has taken a huge chunk of all the canadian retailers business away but aside from special sales, there is really not much reason to buy from electronics from memory express and best buy anymore (unless it's a TV or computer parts). Memory express i could still see a reason for computer parts, but electronics? Forget it.
"It took eight years for DDP Yoga to become an overnight sensation" - Diamond Dallas Page
8 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
It really depends. Local places can still have much better selection than Amazon. Local sale prices can be superior. There's no risk of expensive items getting banged up on the delivery truck, or left on your porch all day in freezing or sweltering weather.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18946 posts
10527 upvotes
One of the big downsides to Amazon is when you have a problem it has to be shipped back to them - and that is IF they honour the return policy. Also, Amazon often sells goods without being an authorized reseller that voids the warranty on some products.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote: Local places can still have much better selection than Amazon.
What? No they don't.
Every time I need something that's not available on Amazon and I'm forced to buy from a local retailer, it's like a game of hide and seek.
I've spent more time in local stores dealing with clueless employees than should be allowed.
Even if they have stock (which is unlikely) no one knows where it is so you get passed around because no one knows how to deal with you.

I don't even check local stores any more. The first place I look for everything is Amazon because there's fairly good odds that they'll have it.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Dec 20, 2016
55 posts
25 upvotes
Vancouver BC
I worked in camera sales for a while and often we'd have "minimum advertised pricing", meaning us (and other retailers like Amazon) had to advertise the cameras at or above a certain price.

Often our prices would be significantly lower than Amazon in store but we weren't allowed to advertise it.

Amazon is great for random small garbage but it's not always less expensive for bigger items. Especially since Amazon Canada doesn't have the selection of the USA.
DrekiTech || Occasionally reviews tech things on Youtube
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21266 posts
6254 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Why should any local retailer match Amazon? A customer who comes in for a price match is unlikely to buy anything from them at regular price. And the only reasons why they would buy is either it is sold out or they need it now.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18946 posts
10527 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: What? No they don't.
Every time I need something that's not available on Amazon and I'm forced to buy from a local retailer, it's like a game of hide and seek.
I've spent more time in local stores dealing with clueless employees than should be allowed.
Even if they have stock (which is unlikely) no one knows where it is so you get passed around because no one knows how to deal with you.

I don't even check local stores any more. The first place I look for everything is Amazon because there's fairly good odds that they'll have it.
Many stores, like Canadian Tire and Home Depot now provide you with the exact aisle your items are on through their website. They have improved their inventory management systems significantly so I would recommend checking them out because the experience has greatly improved. This, combined with most of the major retailers allowing you to order online and pickup in store (to save you from having to figure out where it is), makes the brick and mortar more convenient than ever before.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
death_hawk wrote: What? No they don't.

Sounds like you and I are shopping for different things.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
1739 posts
960 upvotes
Newton Brook, ON
Jucius Maximus wrote: Sounds like you and I are shopping for different things.
That sums up this whole thread.

OP, you only mention electronics, but this is the general Shopping Discussion forum. Amazon doesn't stock everything, some things are only stocked by third parties (no free shipping), and some things are much higher priced than local stores.

Examples:

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/windex-orig ... 0016937263
https://www.amazon.ca/Windex-Original-G ... 001ATDY8U/

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/sally-hanse ... 0192056495
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00LJ1 ... 9EEQB&th=1

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/kraft-smoot ... 0016935710
https://www.amazon.ca/Kraft-Smooth-Pean ... 013CU05AE/

The answer to your question is obviously yes. If you're talking specifically about electronics, I generally agree, but this is not news. There have always been better deals for electronics online.
You need someone with an umbrella not a fork

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)