• Sep 4th, 2021 12:23 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 28, 2019
85 posts
494 upvotes
Calgary

Local Subgroups?

Hiya, relatively new to posting but a long time lurker.

I have a suggestion that involves admin work, apologies if this has been considered and discarded already.

Would it be possible to add another section to the Hot Deals forum, one that is location specific rather than item specific? Such as Toronto deals, Interior BC deals etc? So posters can initiate local deal threads rather than posting the deals with disclaimers in a current category subforum?

IMHO, being able to view all local deals in one place would be super helpful, being it the produce manager at a Toronto NoFrills announcing a store specific overstock sale, a clothing store in Kelowna having a wildfire smoke damage sale, and any other deal that would be great for the locals but useless to everyone else.

This way the existing Hot Deals threads would be decluttered of local opportunities that are beyond reach for the rest of us.

Thoughts?
Last edited by HelloDealy on Sep 2nd, 2021 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
10725 posts
5737 upvotes
Markham
Add a location tag should work. Just like you can add stores/ brands

But since this is Toronto redflagdeals, lol
[OP]
Aug 28, 2019
85 posts
494 upvotes
Calgary
Yes and no.

A location tag would let folks know that a given deal won't be available to them,
However it wouldn't let them browse all the deals that are, courtesy of local RFD contributors.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
10725 posts
5737 upvotes
Markham
HelloDealy wrote: Yes and no.

A location tag would let folks know that a given deal won't be available to them,
However it wouldn't let them browse all the deals that are, courtesy of local RFD contributors.
If you click company tag such as amazon, it will show all amazon deals. I assume location tag can work same way.

Are we saying same thing or not
[OP]
Aug 28, 2019
85 posts
494 upvotes
Calgary
smartie wrote: If you click company tag such as amazon, it will show all amazon deals. I assume location tag can work same way.

Are we saying same thing or not
I see now what you're saying, to allow the location to become searchable, like the company currently is.
That would work too, maybe better than my idea.
I was thinking more along the line of the GiftCard thread format, where posters willing to share their local findings would add the info to one location specific mega thread.

Either way, imo it would be useful to share great local deals without inconveniencing the overwhelming majority of forum members and lurkers to whom the offer is unreachable.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
15359 posts
29196 upvotes
Scarborough
We've tossed around the idea of "local deals" and even experimented with a few things but they never really took off. Right now we don't restrict local deals from being posted in Hot Deals and I've seen many threads go on to be very popular.

If we were getting so many local deals that it was causing problems within the Hot Deals forum, we'd definitely consider breaking them out into a separate forum at that time. Currently, the only complaint we've seen is based around Toronto (AKA the "center of the universe") local deals because they do pop up more frequently than local deals for any other city. We have a thread hiding feature and are working on a location tag/filter feature (similar to what smartie mentioned above) which should further help with that.
RFD Staff - Have a question? Send me a PM
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts] [Thread Hiding]
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
10725 posts
5737 upvotes
Markham
TomRFD wrote: We've tossed around the idea of "local deals" and even experimented with a few things but they never really took off. Right now we don't restrict local deals from being posted in Hot Deals and I've seen many threads go on to be very popular.

If we were getting so many local deals that it was causing problems within the Hot Deals forum, we'd definitely consider breaking them out into a separate forum at that time. Currently, the only complaint we've seen is based around Toronto (AKA the "center of the universe") local deals because they do pop up more frequently than local deals for any other city. We have a thread hiding feature and are working on a location tag/filter feature (similar to what smartie mentioned above) which should further help with that.
It wouldn't take off because we only have three locations
1: Center of the universe
2: Canada minus Quebec
3: Canada
[OP]
Aug 28, 2019
85 posts
494 upvotes
Calgary
LOL

There's been so many free/money making deals, with tons of inventory, that I haven't posted about since it's available in one Calgary location only. Still hesitant to post those deals, despite RFD allowing such posts.

Maybe local group PMs already exist in some markets, if so in Calgary, Hello!!!
If not, I would like to hear from other YYC locals interested in sharing such deals:)
Sep 30, 2001
28823 posts
8018 upvotes
Toronto
HelloDealy wrote: Still hesitant to post those deals, despite RFD allowing such posts.
You should absolutely post them.
We're all in this together. Be kind and civil with one another