• Aug 22nd, 2021 8:50 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Feb 25, 2015
425 posts
226 upvotes
Montreal, QC

Location to change oil by myself?

I would like to change my oil. My mechanic doesn't accept that I bring my own oil/filter.
Is there any place with hydraulic lift in Montreal that I can rent for 1 hour to change my oil by myself?
32 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7173 posts
9144 upvotes
The NORTH
Different mechanic? Mine charges me $20 to do an oil change when I supply the oil and filter.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
1051 posts
823 upvotes
with toyota/lexus vehicles I can change mine with a pair of drive up ramps
Banned
Oct 10, 2020
1037 posts
619 upvotes
goal80 wrote: I would like to change my oil. My mechanic doesn't accept that I bring my own oil/filter.
Is there any place with hydraulic lift in Montreal that I can rent for 1 hour to change my oil by myself?
model and year?

The oil filter is only accessible from the bottom?
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2020
2086 posts
3828 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
$50 ramps. What is your rational for bringing your own oil and filter to a mechanics?
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2012
1766 posts
731 upvotes
Montreal
Bring it to the Shell on Graham/Jean-Talon if you're close in TMR and you can't find a place where you can do it yourself. Last time I provided all supplies and it was 20 for labour.
[OP]
Feb 25, 2015
425 posts
226 upvotes
Montreal, QC
th3xeroeagle wrote: Bring it to the Shell on Graham/Jean-Talon if you're close in TMR and you can't find a place where you can do it yourself. Last time I provided all supplies and it was 20 for labour.
Thanks a lot
I'll try him
[OP]
Feb 25, 2015
425 posts
226 upvotes
Montreal, QC
the2ndme wrote: model and year?

The oil filter is only accessible from the bottom?
Mercedes 2012 C250. Filter is accessible from the top easily. However to empty the oil, I have to take off the bottom cover (8 screws) and I should have good access to the whole bottom of the car and not just the bottom front part.
[OP]
Feb 25, 2015
425 posts
226 upvotes
Montreal, QC
CanadianConsumerYEG wrote: $50 ramps. What is your rational for bringing your own oil and filter to a mechanics?
I prefer to have the control on the selection of my filter and oil.
I'm using a Mann filter that can't find easily in the stores, I order it from Amazon or Rockauto.
Ramps: I don't want to risk having an oil mess by mistake in my driveway while I empty the oil
Dec 25, 2007
678 posts
658 upvotes
Vancouver
peteryorkuca wrote: This is why I bought an oil extractor.
IMO this is the answer - most MBs from this era had the oil extracted from the top by the dealer anyway.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3234 posts
2079 upvotes
Markham
goal80 wrote: However to empty the oil, I have to take off the bottom cover (8 screws).
This is why I hate working on some vehicles. A simple 10 min oil change job is now a 30 min job.
And all this plastic covers just trap crap in there....dirt, rock, mud, salt, etc....
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8398 posts
5262 upvotes
Mississauga
I've never owned a car before with a cover under the engine but my current car does and I permanently removed it. I'm sure there's some aerodynamics (and fuel consumption) benefit to it being there but all I see it being is a dirt/moisture collector.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
12973 posts
7071 upvotes
mrweather wrote: I've never owned a car before with a cover under the engine but my current car does and I permanently removed it. I'm sure there's some aerodynamics (and fuel consumption) benefit to it being there but all I see it being is a dirt/moisture collector.
You mean a skid plate? I have owned very few without one.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8398 posts
5262 upvotes
Mississauga
No, not a skid plate but a plastic cover under the engine.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
12973 posts
7071 upvotes
mrweather wrote: No, not a skid plate but a plastic cover under the engine.
Ahh, gotcha. Don't think I have ever had one of those for sure.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3234 posts
2079 upvotes
Markham
mrweather wrote: I'm sure there's some aerodynamics (and fuel consumption) benefit to it being there but all I see it being is a dirt/moisture collector.
On one of my previous vehicles, the plastic undercover trapped rocks, salt, dirt, etc around the fuel line.
The fuel line ruptured. Vehicle almost didn't make it home. I cut part of the plastic undercover off so it didn't trap crap anymore.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
49914 posts
13927 upvotes
ONTARIO
mrweather wrote: I've never owned a car before with a cover under the engine but my current car does and I permanently removed it. I'm sure there's some aerodynamics (and fuel consumption) benefit to it being there but all I see it being is a dirt/moisture collector.
Maybe it helps with wind noise on a luxury car?
Banned
Oct 10, 2020
1037 posts
619 upvotes
goal80 wrote:
Mercedes 2012 C250. Filter is accessible from the top easily. However to empty the oil, I have to take off the bottom cover (8 screws) and I should have good access to the whole bottom of the car and not just the bottom front part.
peteryorkuca wrote: This is why I bought an oil extractor.

Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19529 posts
2242 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Just bought a Subaru. The oil filter is on the top of the engine. F*CKING BOSS design.

Every car I've had in the past were a pain. My last car I lowered and a standard jack wouldn't even fit under the carriage, lol.