• Feb 21st, 2021 6:40 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
3357 posts
464 upvotes
Mississauga

Locked out of MotoG after reset

Keeps asking for account/pin forget which account we used. son doesn't remember and i need the phone for work as my existing one nearly burst into flames yesterday.

I tried a hard reset (lower volume/power) and I get cycled to it telling me the phone was reset and asking for pin/email validation. Is there a way to get past this so we can setup as new?
4 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17075 posts
3328 upvotes
Toronto
Depending on the version of Android, there may be no easy way to bypass the factory reset protection (FRP) from a hard reset.

Search Google for possible solutions or try a local cell repair shop.
Last edited by audit13 on Feb 21st, 2021 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 21, 2017
50 posts
50 upvotes
Isn't there an option to reset to factory settings using volume up + power buttons?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17075 posts
3328 upvotes
Toronto
BitShark92 wrote: Isn't there an option to reset to factory settings using volume up + power buttons?
Performing a reset from the bootloader will often require authentication if the phone was set up with a Google account.
Dec 4, 2017
578 posts
255 upvotes
audit13 wrote: Performing a reset from the bootloader will often require authentication if the phone was set up with a Google account.
Yes. To be more specific, it is an anti-theft feature. Most modern Android phones will remember the first Google account that was used. This will survive a reset. You have to enter the correct account name and password in order to proceed.

For those planning to repurpose an Android phone, you can go into Settings and manually remove that account before the reset. At least that will tell you the needed account name.