Expired Hot Deals

Electrolux Compact Washer & Dryer- $1598 (Ventless dryer- great for condo's)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2018 9:33 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2008
1103 posts
609 upvotes
Prince Edward County…

Electrolux Compact Washer & Dryer- $1598 (Ventless dryer- great for condo's)

Deal Link:
Price:
$1598
Savings:
20%
Lowe's has %20 off all appliances (not sure when it ends?), I selected this Electrolux compact washer and dryer after considerable research.

Electrolux already has some aggressive pricing in Canada, so after the 20% discount, this is a great price for what's meant to be a premium product, I hope we'll be happy. We don't have room for full-sized machines, and besides from my reading vented dryers waste a ton of energy: these unvented ones are slower to dry, and can heat up your room a bit, but don't suck and blast your heated (or worse, air-conditioned) air out your house like an energy vampire. Plus we save by not having to have a leaky hole drilled into our wall. In energy-conscious Europe, unvented dryers are standard, in fact vented ones are banned in Norway.

The Electrolux dryer is not on Lowe's website, but they can get it, or at least they did for me, and discounted it under the sale. The washer came to $879 after the discount, and the dryer to $719, so $1598. With $75 delivery, $290 5-year extended warrenty (provided by Lowes, supposed to be solid) and taxes, our total was $2218.61

Here's a good article about this pairing, comparing it to the Bosch units, and giving it the edge.
Images
24 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2003
1408 posts
259 upvotes
BC
Condensing dryers suck.......good job of convincing yourself, but the performance is unacceptable to anyone who's used to vented
and we're not in Europe, so if you can vent, you'd be crazy to use these units. Add extra moisture to your home, specifically closets,
be sure to leave closet doors wide open, take way longer and leave clothes a bit moist, which isn't always bad for some actually.

Most of the compact units have gone condensing in NA for one reason.....they cannot meet the new requirements for fire containment.

If people want a reasonably priced compact washer/dryer, I believe the Blomberg set is the best value right now, one of the few vented
machines left in the 24" offering.

If you want actual performance the gets close to vented, but do not have a vent, the models to get these days are heat-pump units...my 2 cents.
CHIA
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2008
1103 posts
609 upvotes
Prince Edward County…
CHIA wrote: Condensing dryers suck.......good job of convincing yourself, but the performance is unacceptable to anyone who's used to vented
and we're not in Europe, so if you can vent, you'd be crazy to use these units.
Well you are right I haven't tried a condensing dryer yet. But vented dryers are a huge energy hog, and although energy is relatively cheap in NA, (for now) I also care about trying to use less for reasons of climate change... not being sanctimonious, just saying that's a value for me. Also goes in hand with keeping utility bills low. Also don't want to be punching a hole in my wall if I don't have to. Just paid for spray foam in those walls.

Our bathroom where it will be has a moisture-activated fan as well, so that might mitigate the moisture. We'll see.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2008
2556 posts
1680 upvotes
GTA
CHIA is correct. Condenser dryers will take longer to dry your clothes. The main reason being that the air it is usually sucking in is air that has already been spit out by the condenser. This is causing a continuous loop of heated air being brought into the unit.

There aren't many out there but heat pump units are the future. They are similar to condenser exempt that once the air is brought into the unit, it keeps being circulated through the unit as well as cooled. This prevents hot air from continually being sent out into the laundry room and reduces drying time. Heat pump units are also so energy efficient that they will be able to run at 120v.
Please don’t confuse my kindness for weakness.
Jun 16, 2012
16 posts
25 upvotes
YORK
I have the Bosch set and it's great. Condenser dryers are slower but they are great! My clothes get dry plus fewer wrinkled clothes! I've had zero problems. And we in North America are behind on washer/dryers, the models and machines they have in Europe are superior.
Aug 26, 2008
927 posts
466 upvotes
Montreal
If you just want a compact stacked washer/dryer the Whirlpool YWET4024EW can be found for $1300. It's not very fancy, but I've read the digital component of the Electrolux is finicky and can fail and just about any repair shop can repair the Whirlpool type. It's not as compact in depth though because of the ducting.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2013
2621 posts
2598 upvotes
Montreal
MooseOnLoose wrote: Well you are right I haven't tried a condensing dryer yet. But vented dryers are a huge energy hog, and although energy is relatively cheap in NA, (for now) I also care about trying to use less for reasons of climate change... not being sanctimonious, just saying that's a value for me. Also goes in hand with keeping utility bills low. Also don't want to be punching a hole in my wall if I don't have to. Just paid for spray foam in those walls.

Our bathroom where it will be has a moisture-activated fan as well, so that might mitigate the moisture. We'll see.
Your funny. Spray foam is not "eco" since you have to trash everything that it stick too while regular foam panel for instance can be removed and reused.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2003
4377 posts
1108 upvotes
Hamilton
SquadG wrote: Your funny. Spray foam is not "eco" since you have to trash everything that it stick too while regular foam panel for instance can be removed and reused.

Well. It is very Eco after it dries.
However the installation process is very bad for the air.
After that though. Bills are 30 - 40% less for a/c and heat. Quite nice.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2013
2621 posts
2598 upvotes
Montreal
sidshock wrote: Well. It is very Eco after it dries.
However the installation process is very bad for the air.
After that though. Bills are 30 - 40% less for a/c and heat. Quite nice.

I know, I have that too.

What I meant is you can't reuse the wood or electric cables for instance when you trash it since it stick
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2003
1408 posts
259 upvotes
BC
dinatravels wrote: I have the Bosch set and it's great. Condenser dryers are slower but they are great! My clothes get dry plus fewer wrinkled clothes! I've had zero problems. And we in North America are behind on washer/dryers, the models and machines they have in Europe are superior.
Behind Europe, well, yes and no......they have century old building that were never built to accommodate vented dryers,
many Europeans hang dry and the culture and laundry habits are simply different than NA......some good, some not so.

You get less wrinkled clothes because they generally do not come as nearly as dry at NA machines and you typically have
to hang them while just slightly damp and as I said above, not a bad thing, NA units typically fry our clothes, and that's
quite tough on fabrics......but so many of our clothes are crap quality nowadays in NA vs Europe too.....so much synthetic.

Very few people who are very used to vented dryers have much good to say about condensers......they typically only put
up with them when given no choice, true story. Get used to lonnnng dry times, small loads and not ready-to wear from the
unit in many cases. Condensers are a big compromise and have very few tangible benefits in terms of performance, they are
a compromise, too much for most on this side of the pond.
CHIA
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2008
1103 posts
609 upvotes
Prince Edward County…
CHIA wrote: Condensers are a big compromise and have very few tangible benefits in terms of performance, they are
Dude nothing personal but you're speaking as though you represent others. For me, energy saving are a HUGE tangible benefit. It's a little bit like electric cars, which I'm considering. Those of us who are drawn to them will find a way to work with the distance limitations and charging challenges, and embrace the smooth quiet dependability. We're not all the same in what we want.

Some folks will also celebrate the carbon they are not spewing, which as our planet roasts, is a HUGE TANGIBLE BENEFIT.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5645 posts
1411 upvotes
anyone complaining about the drawbacks of condensing units has not owned any of the new modern ones.

a friend has these machines at his cottage -- no issues with them at all. they work amazing and seem gentler on clothing.

vented dryers are going to be extinct very soon due to energy usage and fire hazards.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
20100 posts
7425 upvotes
Socially Distanced
milolai wrote: vented dryers are going to be extinct very soon due to energy usage and fire hazards.
i look forward to this day
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2003
1408 posts
259 upvotes
BC
Quentin5 wrote: i look forward to this day
Don't hold your breath. It's not going to happen any time soon.

I absolutely see the benefits of a ventless dryer and the new heat pump technology is where it's at, not old school condensing. It's just new and expensive right now, and cost plays a huge roll......it's why you started this thread after all :)

For the person above who spoke of the "new" condensing dryers, that's a real stretch, not much has changed in this area.

Fact is, people generally buy a condensing dryer for one reason. no other options, ie, no vent.

Given the choice of something that works great vs something that does not, and actually paying less for the performance, it's not hard to see what most chose.
CHIA
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
20100 posts
7425 upvotes
Socially Distanced
CHIA wrote: it's why you started this thread after all :)
I did? :eek:

CHIA wrote: Don't hold your breath.
no other options, ie, no vent.
Perhaps thats why i can't breathe :cheesygri
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2003
1408 posts
259 upvotes
BC
Quentin5 wrote: I did? :eek:
Meant to say it's why the thread was started. :)
CHIA
Jun 16, 2012
16 posts
25 upvotes
YORK
CHIA wrote: Behind Europe, well, yes and no......they have century old building that were never built to accommodate vented dryers,
many Europeans hang dry and the culture and laundry habits are simply different than NA......some good, some not so.

You get less wrinkled clothes because they generally do not come as nearly as dry at NA machines and you typically have
to hang them while just slightly damp and as I said above, not a bad thing, NA units typically fry our clothes, and that's
quite tough on fabrics......but so many of our clothes are crap quality nowadays in NA vs Europe too.....so much synthetic.

Very few people who are very used to vented dryers have much good to say about condensers......they typically only put
up with them when given no choice, true story. Get used to lonnnng dry times, small loads and not ready-to wear from the
unit in many cases. Condensers are a big compromise and have very few tangible benefits in terms of performance, they are
There are only a few options here re ventless dryers and the quality isn't great as a result.

But you can't tell me my dryer that I use twice a week doesn't dry my clothes. I don't mean mostly dry, I mean bone dry. It is absolutely 100% NOT a compromise on my part.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
4767 posts
3274 upvotes
Doesn't ventless mean all the moisture will be inside your house?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5645 posts
1411 upvotes
WL1980 wrote: Doesn't ventless mean all the moisture will be inside your house?
they condense and vent down the drain