• Feb 2nd, 2021 9:57 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1564 posts
44 upvotes
usa

Logitech M510 double clicking

I have been using the Logitech M510 mouse for several years. Since I bought a new one (same model) for home, I took the old one to work.

Recently, single click became double clicks randomly. I first thought something was wrong with my Outlook since I'm have other issues with it. I don't notice this issue with other applications other than Outlook. I read that Logitech is know for this problem. Does anyone have any fix for this? My work laptop is running Windows 10.
14 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20725 posts
14181 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Definitely a known problem.

Basically the microswitch's contacts are worn and the switch should be replaced. You will need to take the mouse apart and check the model of the microswitch and then order a replacement. The switches themselves are cheap and if you are good with a soldering iron it's a quick fix.
You can also take the switch apart clean the contacts and it should be back in service as well.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1564 posts
44 upvotes
usa
How do I clean or replace the microswitch?

I bought the MX Anywhere 2S, but I absolutely hate the scroll wheel on the new Logitech mouse. I like how there's a click each time you scroll. The new ones just spin nonstop.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4989 posts
2019 upvotes
It's the spring in the switch that's losing its shape. You can try taking the switch apart and bending the copper piece back into shape. There are tutorials out there. I've done this with a few Logitech mice before
May 11, 2018
85 posts
145 upvotes

you can take it apart and do a DIY fix, but it may break again. mice do not last forever, a few years is pretty good if you are a heavy user.
Ju Leon...
Oct 26, 2006
585 posts
63 upvotes
East GTA - Durham Re…
Some mice are built to last. I have been using a Microsoft Natural Laser 6000 for about 8 years with no problems (bought in 2006 on clearance for $20). Nowadays, all mice break. Generally last 2 years under heavy usage (if you work on your computer). I plan to get new switches as I have a soldering iron.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20725 posts
14181 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
This is also one of the main reasons why I don't buy new Logitech mice anymore... just the refurb ones that can be had for as much as 2/3 off the regular price of a new one.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20725 posts
14181 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
coilz wrote: It's the spring in the switch that's losing its shape. You can try taking the switch apart and bending the copper piece back into shape. There are tutorials out there. I've done this with a few Logitech mice before
If the button has been used heavily, you should also put a bit of contact conditioner/cleaner on the contact points.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
10984 posts
2799 upvotes
Victoria
My M705 logitech mouse did that so I replaced it with a new one. The new one had a defect where the smooth scroll wheel didn't work 100% right (it would scroll back a line or two in the wrong direction after you did your scroll). Only way I resolved that was to click the wheel so it turn off smooth scroll... sigh. I google it after and it seems like a common issue with that series of mouse.

Logitech makes my favorite mouse/keyboards, but the build quality could use some improvement.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6913 posts
5824 upvotes
Burlington
Got a Logitech Marathon M705 from Costco, original warranty is 3 years
about 1.5 years in, double clicking, went back and forth with Logitech for a week before they decided to send me a replacement, a new one.
another 1.5 years later, double clicking happened again, contacted logitech, they said SOL your original warranty has past. I sent a couple emails after that to explain, they never responded, so I gave up.

$30 mouse for 3 years. I guess it'll do
Oct 26, 2006
585 posts
63 upvotes
East GTA - Durham Re…
I just recently soldered two new microswitches to my Logitech mouse. It take 25 minutes. I used a old donor mouse that was over 10 years old. Works great now.
Mar 22, 2004
845 posts
91 upvotes
Ottawa
Sorry to bring up and old thread, but I've been experiencing this as well with my m510. I think I may have another solution that seems to have fixed mine. I used an air compressor and blew around the mouse and tried to get into the cracks. I'm only roughly 10-15min into using it for work now but it seems to be fine. Just another option to help fix this.