Jan 30, 2006
14641 posts
3365 upvotes
Vancouver

LOL at ticketmaster fees

Convenience fee $5.50 convenience?? think not
Authentication and delivery fee $2.50
Handling fee $4.25 lol at handling fee

Totally outrageous. Sorry I have to vent. Basically 10% mystery fees on my order. Of course I didn't order and stay away from them if it all possible.
12 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
The problem is that it's often not possible to stay away from them.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
I would have gotten tickets to The Sound of Music by now if it wasn't for the damn Ticketmaster fees.
- casual gastronomist -
Dec 30, 2004
121 posts
2 upvotes
Vaughan
It really does deter people from enjoying a good show all together.

I always go for any option but Ticketmaster, but sometimes you have no choice since the vendor only chooses Ticketmaster as their only option.

Their fees have gotten so outrageous that sometimes I just end up finding some other event to attend. That's just too bad for those vendors that choose Ticketmaster.
Apr 15, 2005
773 posts
3 upvotes
Ottawa
How is the public supposed to support the Arts with these ridiculous fees added in like this.

Convenience charge?....sheesh!!

I'm guilty, though - I pay them anyway because I love going to the National Arts Centre...but it hurts, every time. And then you have to pay for parking on top of it all. It winds up being a $300 evening, including a dinner (using a coupon from the Entertainment Book, of course.)

Going to see STOMP in March....can't wait!
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15215 posts
4405 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
One time, Zulu Records charged me quite a bit on service fees, also, even though you just go in there, ask for the ticket, and they give out a pre-printed ticket out to you from a drawer. I guess having to look for the ticket in the drawer requires them to pay their employee $5.00 ... or maybe it $7.50.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria
I like going to concerts, so I've been paying these fees for years.

It reminds me of that thing in the 90s where members of Pearl Jam testified in the Senate about this stuff.. but no one gave a crap except mtv news.

circle back 15 years later and its out of control. Not only the convenience fees, but how a big chunk of tickets magically land in the hands of ticket brokers (including ticketbastard opening their own ticket broker company!). It's such a crooked industry.

How did they not lose an antritrust suite. I think its far worse then people filing suits again microsoft for including internet explorer with windows.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 25, 2004
5655 posts
149 upvotes
New Westminster
ladida wrote: Their fees have gotten so outrageous that sometimes I just end up finding some other event to attend. That's just too bad for those vendors that choose Ticketmaster.
Not sometimes for us... always ... there are so many other local shows / talent to go and support
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
14641 posts
3365 upvotes
Vancouver
CheapScotsman wrote: Not sometimes for us... always ... there are so many other local shows / talent to go and support
Agreed!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7816 posts
1290 upvotes
GTA
I'd definitely go to more events if it wasn't for these additional fees. The sad thing is that it doesn't impact Ticketmaster's bottom line at all since most of their events sell out regardless of these ridiculous fees.

I love that their "suggested" option to receive tickets - TicketFast - requires me to print at home and use my own ink and paper. For this "convenience" I get to pay an extra $2.50 a ticket - I NEVER use this option when will call, mail or pick up at a retailer is free. Getting the ticket in my mailbox is just as convenient for me...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5135 posts
55 upvotes
CheapScotsman wrote: Not sometimes for us... always ... there are so many other local shows / talent to go and support
Tons of local shows in most cities.

If you can not "afford" the arts you can always volonteer and get some free tickets to many shows an concerts.

Some people they volonteer at the bluefest and get weekly pass, meals, shirt and meet performers.
and free alcohol too :)
(like 1 drink per shif usual or day i think....).

One of my friends he volonteers for the Nac and gets free tickets and receptions also.
he also volonteersfor Opera lyra and was able to be in one of their actual operas in a stad in role (he was a soldier ..went to see him in that show..was neat).
Nov 17, 2009
112 posts
2 upvotes
New York
Sometimes because of ticketmasters i cancel my show plans :(

I visit the concerts which sounds interesting to me...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7282 posts
1820 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I think that if you buy from theatre box office then you bypass Ticketmaster and don't have to pay the fees. But you have to physically get there which might not be feasible. But even then you might get dinged by hidden fees that is never disclosed in advertisements.

What I really hate is that "printing at home" option used to be free, but now I have to pay a fee. Total ripoff.
There's a sucker born every minute.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)