Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

64GB Sony NWZ-A17 High res lossless audio bluetooth Walkman - $279.99

  • Last Updated:
  • May 5th, 2015 12:23 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Banned
User avatar
Jun 28, 2012
5562 posts
815 upvotes
Calgary

64GB Sony NWZ-A17 High res lossless audio bluetooth Walkman - $279.99

Deal Link:
Price:
279.99
After deciding that Im not willing to spend $500 on a double din for my car, I just bought this walkman instead and run it through the aux. It sounds amazing. At first I was using my Z Ultra for music through the aux and it sounded decent. But I wanted physical buttons and hated having to constantly plug and unplug my phone so I got this player, well it brought my speakers to life. Sounds noticably better than the walkman on my Sony Z Ultra phone.

Nice full rich sound with lots of bass and 50 hour battery life.

Best thing is that it has a micro SD slot so you can put in a max capacity 128GB card, giving you 192GB of storage.

These go for $400 on amazon.ca and $350+ on ebay but shipped from overseas.

For the money, you wont find better.

It does NOT come with headphones, but if you are an audiophille, you will already have your own set already.

72 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2011
1721 posts
1091 upvotes
Its a *VERY* good MP3 player, but keep in mind that high-res audio is a complete scam. Redbook audio is already beyond human hearing capabilities, and even if we *could* hear beyond those levels, you would need a perfectly silent room with amazingly detailed headphones(More-so than the HD800's or Stax's). So a portable player obviously wouldnt be a good choice.

So if you want a standalone player to playback flac or whatever, this is great... But dont fall into the 'high res audio' hole and blow extra cash on purchasing the newer remasters of your audio. If all your music is encoded at 320kbs or less, than you might not want to pay the premium and get a different stand-alone player.
I'm still rocking a sansa fuze(non +) with a fiio e5 amp connected with a LOD. 10 years and its still kicking(though battery life isnt great. Another big selling point for the a-15/17[60+ hours of MP3])
Member
User avatar
Sep 4, 2005
283 posts
248 upvotes
Buy this... Or I can sell you my old 64GB Zune for $20. Same thing. :P
Sr. Member
Nov 6, 2006
694 posts
196 upvotes
this, or any other mp3 players below 40$, will sound exactly the same in a car
Member
Sep 28, 2012
352 posts
290 upvotes
Vancouver
i cant justify 300 for this due to lack of android.

i still want to see if i will enjoy flac/lossless more, but ill wait till this goes to around 150.
[OP]
Banned
User avatar
Jun 28, 2012
5562 posts
815 upvotes
Calgary
fengfenglee wrote: this, or any other mp3 players below 40$, will sound exactly the same in a car
Right. Because all mp3 players have the same quality DACs.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 14, 2009
15301 posts
6317 upvotes
I'll bet that my Android smartphone running Viper would sound comparable to this and perhaps even better.
Newbie
May 15, 2013
76 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto
I was thinking about getting this last year but the lack of line-out and sound card function push me to get the x3.
[OP]
Banned
User avatar
Jun 28, 2012
5562 posts
815 upvotes
Calgary
SickBeast wrote: I'll bet that my Android smartphone running Viper would sound comparable to this and perhaps even better.
Depends what phone you got. If its an Apple, its not even in the same universe as Sony devices for sound quality. Sony is still the best phones IMO for music playback. My Z ultra sounds really good, I dont even use any external amps or apps. I had PowerAmp2.0 on my Nexus 5 but that phones music playback was garbage.

This A17 player sounds night and day better than my Z ultra, and the Z ultra sounds pretty awesome already. With the exact same settings, same EQ, the A17 puts out noticably more volume, mids, bass and better clarity. And this is for MP3s, I havent even tested this player with FLACS yet.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 14, 2009
15301 posts
6317 upvotes
Mayosandwich wrote: Depends what phone you got. If its an Apple, its not even in the same universe as Sony devices for sound quality. Sony is still the best phones IMO for music playback. My Z ultra sounds really good, I dont even use any external amps or apps. I had PowerAmp2.0 on my Nexus 5 but that phones music playback was garbage.

This A17 player sounds night and day better than my Z ultra, and the Z ultra sounds pretty awesome already. With the exact same settings, same EQ, the A17 puts out noticably more volume, mids, bass and better clarity. And this is for MP3s, I havent even tested this player with FLACS yet.
Do you even know what viper is or what it does? Bluetooth negates the quality of the phone's audio output.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 9, 2014
1464 posts
4571 upvotes
Toronto
I'm still rocking an iPod Video, the best iPod Apple ever released. I know Sony makes the best MP3 players on the market but this is a little pricey for me. Someday...
Member
Nov 30, 2009
385 posts
182 upvotes
Why would you listen to hi quality audio through bluetooth anyway. Take the 3.5mm output and good iems or low impedance headphones with this DAP. I own an x5 only because i could put 2x 128gb and blast off my pro900. Also, I don't think software could trump dedicated hardware capabilities, but could be wrong.
[OP]
Banned
User avatar
Jun 28, 2012
5562 posts
815 upvotes
Calgary
SickBeast wrote: Do you even know what viper is or what it does? Bluetooth negates the quality of the phone's audio output.
Why would someone buy this to use through BT? It still sounds really good through BT but I bought this to run it wired in my car and it sounds pretty amazing. I didnt even know my speakers were capable putting out this level of sound. This allows me to have the absolute best sound coming out of my speakers without having to rip apart the dash, buy an overpriced dash kit, double din and install. Its still worth it to me, I will put a 128GB SD card in it and that gives me a 192GB lossless audio player for under $300. There is no standalone DAP that can match this players sound quality at this price.

Sure you can use your phone, but for some people, there is still purpose for dedicated players with physical buttons. Going to the gym, excersizing with a massive smartphone with a touch interface to navigate through your music is a major pain in the ass. Same with using it in your car.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 14, 2009
15301 posts
6317 upvotes
Mayosandwich wrote: Why would someone buy this to use through BT? It still sounds really good through BT but I bought this to run it wired in my car and it sounds pretty amazing. I didnt even know my speakers were capable putting out this level of sound. This allows me to have the absolute best sound coming out of my speakers without having to rip apart the dash, buy an overpriced dash kit, double din and install. Its still worth it to me, there is no standalone DAP that can match this players sound quality at this price.
My point is that there is no point in buying it at all. A well encoded MP3 will sound as good as a lossless source. With this player you're paying more for something that requires massive file sizes for an incredibly minuscule improvement in sound quality. I use Viper4Android on my LG G3 and it sounds amazing with my bluetooth headphones. I can pretty much guarantee you that most people would prefer what Viper does versus whatever clarity this Sony player adds to music. Try Viper if you have an android phone, trust me.
Sr. Member
Oct 27, 2013
949 posts
219 upvotes
Mississauga
I think you don't get what's different about this Sony. No amount of software optimizations can match or even approximate the cleaner, better sound of a DAC. It's not better because it plays lossless audio, almost anything will play that. It's got better quality hardware, plain and simple. Some people even use external amps with their iPods for cleaner sound (so this is somewhat comparable to that).

You need to be a proper audiophile for this thing more or less.
SickBeast wrote: My point is that there is no point in buying it at all. A well encoded MP3 will sound as good as a lossless source. With this player you're paying more for something that requires massive file sizes for an incredibly minuscule improvement in sound quality. I use Viper4Android on my LG G3 and it sounds amazing with my bluetooth headphones. I can pretty much guarantee you that most people would prefer what Viper does versus whatever clarity this Sony player adds to music. Try Viper if you have an android phone, trust me.
Sr. Member
Feb 8, 2010
595 posts
506 upvotes
SickBeast wrote: Do you even know what viper is or what it does? Bluetooth negates the quality of the phone's audio output.
OP is running it through wired AUX on his car.... The device support bluetooth but he is not using BT.
Sr. Member
Feb 8, 2010
595 posts
506 upvotes
thesearchfordean wrote: You need to be a proper audiophile for this thing more or less.
You have my support. Nice device, good taste!

Sadly, not many people on this forum understand Frequency Response, Total Harmonic Distortion or Dynamic Range. Mainstream consumer's understanding of sound processing technology stays at boosting EQ on some software player.

It is not about loss-less VS MP3, it is just better made hardware that sends better analogue signal to your headphone.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 6, 2006
7948 posts
2864 upvotes
Washington, DC
billy_z wrote: You have my support. Nice device, good taste!

Sadly, not many people on this forum understand Frequency Response, Total Harmonic Distortion or Dynamic Range. Mainstream consumer's understanding of sound processing technology stays at boosting EQ on some software player.

It is not about loss-less VS MP3, it is just better made hardware that sends better analogue signal to your headphone.
LOL clearly you don't really know RFD. There are piles of people who understand sound fidelity, far more competent than myself...

I can appreciate the sound quality reproduction on this device, however what I can't understand (like most people here) is why you would ever pay this much for a device that is supposed to be mobile but requires a non-mobile headphone set to appreciate the audio reproduction. I don't want to lug around my Sennheiser 598s at the gym while I proceed to destroy them.

A Tesla can drive 130MPH, but speed limits only allow 60kph...

Come up with a $40 mobile Bluetooth earbud that takes advantage of this thing then we'll be on the same page.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln

Top