Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
London Drugs

(AMAZON.ca) WD D10 Game Drive - 12TB $249.99

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 12th, 2022 4:37 pm
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2011
2414 posts
652 upvotes
Winnipeg
I'm tempted to add this an an external to my janky ds220j setup. But yeah does this actually run hot and as loud as people are saying?

Right now I have 2 16tb gold drives in the machine, then a 12tb easy store and 10tb elements plugged in (you can add more with a hub).

Should I get this and say whatever or wait for black Friday if I can? HGST is good generally but the referenced noise and heat is concerning. For reference a bit of noise is entirely fine. There are already 4 drives there lol

What do y'all think?

Edit: basically I fully expect the easystore to get to 250 or lower again at black Friday for 12tb. Would y'all take this or that as a secondary nas drive mainly for media? Not constant access. Thanks :)
Last edited by bman77 on Oct 1st, 2022 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
😉
Dec 3, 2013
362 posts
443 upvotes
I have the 8TB version of this drive. I wouldn't recommend the enclosure. It has a fan inside, but still will constantly overheat and disconnect itself. There is a hard limit of 50-55C where it will refuse to operate above. I had to get a separate usb fan to point at it to keep it cool enough.
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2011
2414 posts
652 upvotes
Winnipeg
capricious63 wrote: I have the 8TB version of this drive. I wouldn't recommend the enclosure. It has a fan inside, but still will constantly overheat and disconnect itself. There is a hard limit of 50-55C where it will refuse to operate above. I had to get a separate usb fan to point at it to keep it cool enough.
See this is good info. You would think the Xbox line would be well built and idiot proof but maybe they went too much for gamer looks over function. No such issues with the easystore which also looks to have a smaller footprint.

Edit: This is what I mean:
280 currently and has been historically sold for 250 already
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/wd ... y/14936769
😉
Oct 28, 2012
886 posts
138 upvotes
EDMONTON
Can I connect this to my router and use it as a NAS?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2018
1960 posts
2501 upvotes
capricious63 wrote: I have the 8TB version of this drive. I wouldn't recommend the enclosure. It has a fan inside, but still will constantly overheat and disconnect itself. There is a hard limit of 50-55C where it will refuse to operate above. I had to get a separate usb fan to point at it to keep it cool enough.
Very nice inform. I can imagine a 7200rpm drive would run hot, but not expecting a fan in the enclosure would still not be enough.

Probably better if you shuck this drive honestly.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2008
2193 posts
2061 upvotes
Winnipeg
Transferring 4tb over to it right now,

I'll report back about the heat.
:arrow: "Proudly Serving The RFD Community"
Jun 15, 2020
277 posts
605 upvotes
Have been using WD_Gaming_Drive_Accelerated_for_Xbox_One SSD
for a while now. The 1TB SSD has been great. Will now be able to now transfer from the 12 TB spinner to the 1TB ssd at 250mb/s when desired.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2008
2193 posts
2061 upvotes
Winnipeg
launch wrote: Have been using WD_Gaming_Drive_Accelerated_for_Xbox_One SSD
for a while now. The 1TB SSD has been great. Will now be able to now transfer from the 12 TB spinner to the 1TB ssd at 250mb/s when desired.
I see no worthwhile advantages with a SSD for consoles. To each of their own.

$/TB is not worth it, the only gains are transfer speeds but it's still limited by USB 3.0 on the Xbox....and makes little to no performance difference on games (besides 2-3 extra seconds loading on some games). You still cannot run a Series X/S games directly off of these just like a mechanical drive.
Feb 28, 2021
448 posts
865 upvotes
I have this. It’s VERY fast for a spinning HDD. Around 350-mbps.

You will get excellent load times in older game

Did a lot of testing. It’s has shockingly good performance for a hard drive
Jun 15, 2020
277 posts
605 upvotes
window shopper wrote: I see no worthwhile advantages with a SSD for consoles. To each of their own.

$/TB is not worth it, the only gains are transfer speeds but it's still limited by USB 3.0 on the Xbox....and makes little to no performance difference on games (besides 2-3 extra seconds loading on some games). You still cannot run a Series X/S games directly off of these just like a mechanical drive.
You are probably correct. Guess the only advantage I'll continue to have with the SSD is it's easy and safe to carry to a friends place.
Dec 3, 2013
362 posts
443 upvotes
Mephod wrote: I have this. It’s VERY fast for a spinning HDD. Around 350-mbps.

You will get excellent load times in older game

Did a lot of testing. It’s has shockingly good performance for a hard drive
Interesting, I've seen ~250 MB/s max when downloading and transferring with this drive, which I'm quite happy with. I did open it up at one point and found one of the Ultrastar enterprise drives inside (8TB version). It's possible I got a bad unit and others won't have overheating problems.
Feb 28, 2021
448 posts
865 upvotes
capricious63 wrote: Interesting, I've seen ~250 MB/s max when downloading and transferring with this drive, which I'm quite happy with. I did open it up at one point and found one of the Ultrastar enterprise drives inside (8TB version). It's possible I got a bad unit and others won't have overheating problems.
The speed is dependant on file size. Smaller files transfer slower, bigger files faster. You could see like 10mbps if you are moving many tiny files versus a single big zip or something

Also depends on the bit size you used when formatting the drive. Lots of nuance
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2017
5302 posts
3765 upvotes
Vancouver
Rudy wrote: 20.83/tb makes it good but not unheard of if you plan on using it as a regular hard drive
Actually it depends because this is a faster drive if you plan on running things directly off it instead of just media/storage. Most $20/tb drives tend to be 5400 rpm instead of 7200 rpm. That said, I can’t see many scenarios where I would run something off a 7200rpm drive instead of a ssd these days.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2013
1343 posts
809 upvotes
Surrey, BC (GVR)
capricious63 wrote: Interesting, I've seen ~250 MB/s max when downloading and transferring with this drive, which I'm quite happy with. I did open it up at one point and found one of the Ultrastar enterprise drives inside (8TB version). It's possible I got a bad unit and others won't have overheating problems.
This is the correct answer as thats its top speed. I'm sure the person you quoted is incorrect as first of all he's stating mbps which is abut 43.7MB/s and secondly that would make it the fastest spinner in existances without being a hybrid drive. If he did mean MB/s then most likely that is just a burst speed until the cache is filled.
Please check my feedback:
RFD
HWC
Heatware
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2008
2193 posts
2061 upvotes
Winnipeg
crazyea wrote:
This is the correct answer as thats its top speed. I'm sure the person you quoted is incorrect as first of all he's stating mbps which is abut 43.7MB/s and secondly that would make it the fastest spinner in existances without being a hybrid drive. If he did mean MB/s then most likely that is just a burst speed until the cache is filled.
Transferring 4tb from external to external (both hooked up to series x) and showing speeds of 933mbps -1.04 right now. I checked the heat by touch, warm but not hot at all.

From what i can tell the fan hasn't come on yet, or it's just super quiet. I also feel no heat coming out the back near the vents. So far so Thumbs Up Sign
Last edited by window shopper on Oct 1st, 2022 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2019
2119 posts
5319 upvotes
North York ON
U4LIFE wrote: Sucks, but 100% expected and necessary, this hard drive is far to slow for anything but playing older games.

Series S / X games require the higher speeds and low latency of the nvme based expansion drive they sell for a lot more $
Could be wrong but I heard that Seagate has exclusivity for x years before Microsoft opens it up to third parties. For now, I have a T5 SSD to store games and move them over when needed.

This was a terrible move in context of Xbox series vs. PS5. Not only is the Xbox expansion card outdated, it also costs a lot more.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2013
1343 posts
809 upvotes
Surrey, BC (GVR)
window shopper wrote: Transferring 4tb from external to external (both hooked up to series x) and showing speeds of 933mbps -1.04 right now. I checked the heat by touch, warm but not hot at all.

From what i can tell the fan hasn't come on yet, or it's just super quiet. I also feel no heat coming out the back near the vents. So far so Thumbs Up Sign
That’s about 110-115MB/s. Let me know how it is after 4TB. It’ll probably be pretty warm.
Please check my feedback:
RFD
HWC
Heatware
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2020
2506 posts
2291 upvotes
Nubby666 wrote: Decent deal but with cloud gaming and gamepass i barely download my games these days unless it forces me to.
Sure, this is a 12 tb drive that works with anything else.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)