Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
London Drugs

(AMAZON.ca) WD D10 Game Drive - 12TB $249.99

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 12th, 2022 4:37 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2020
2493 posts
2281 upvotes
blazed16 wrote: We live rural area and our home internet is not great so we cant cloud game so this would be perfect i think
Why would anyone cloud game if they don’t have to? It’s an inferior experience no matter how you look at it. In fact, I think it’s such a poor experience (and gamers agree by voting with their wallet) that I see all cloud gaming services shutting down in the next 5 years. Standard apis, cheaper storage, and faster socs point towards games being played client side and only downloaded from a server. If your tv can run google tv well, it can probably run emulators already… in 5 years I think we could have AAA games played by your tv and no other hardware needed. Only thing I have doubts about is that the software support has to be there, and everyone seems to want to control content delivery.
Nov 13, 2016
361 posts
262 upvotes
Great drives inside these for NAS and server use if you want the best drives available for reliability. These contain retail branded drives, not white label drives.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2008
2193 posts
2061 upvotes
Winnipeg
crazyea wrote: That’s about 110-115MB/s. Let me know how it is after 4TB. It’ll probably be pretty warm.
After taking several hours transferring 4tb, no issues with overheating. Warm only, no concerns. I do however find the drive pretty loud.
:arrow: "Proudly Serving The RFD Community"
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2013
1337 posts
804 upvotes
Surrey, BC (GVR)
window shopper wrote: After taking several hours transferring 4tb, no issues with overheating. Warm only, no concerns. I do however find the drive pretty loud.
Check the smart info. Mine hit 65c.
Please check my feedback:
RFD
HWC
Heatware
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
1022 posts
1121 upvotes
window shopper wrote: After taking several hours transferring 4tb, no issues with overheating. Warm only, no concerns. I do however find the drive pretty loud.
the heat is trapped inside that enclosure and the disk is barely touching the enclosure so there's no dissipation from that either. The fan is also loud when it comes on at 63 or so. You need to use Crystaldiskinfo to check the temps. Even my WD my Book 8TB would reach into the high 50s in its enclosure and that one has a lot more holes. I eventually took off the outer casing and no issues

Shucking this enclosure is also tough (so you can't unshuck for warranty purposes) and there's a post on reddit about how the drive gets bricked as soon as you remove the USB bridge. Not sure how true that is but something to think about.

@crazyea Apparently pointing a USB fan up from the bottom is supposed to help with the heat but not sure how much it'll help
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
5308 posts
4310 upvotes
The hard part is finding 12TB of Xbox games.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2008
2193 posts
2061 upvotes
Winnipeg
I'm using it to backup my games as a secondary external drive so not worried.

No matter what you purchase on RFD people over stress about every electronic, just buy it and enjoy it. :)

Never hooked it up to my computer to see temp, no point. It's a mechanical drive 3.5 7200rpm drive it's designed to take the heat and stress.

3 yr warranty if it craps out ill get it replaced.
No drives SSD or mechanical are 100% guaranteed and all have a life time before they fail.

But again each to their own....Thanks everyone for the input.
Last edited by window shopper on Oct 12th, 2022 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 3, 2013
362 posts
443 upvotes
window shopper wrote: I'm using it to backup my games as a secondary external drive so not worried.

No matter what you purchase on RFD people over stress about every electronic, just buy it and enjoy it. :)

Never hooked it up to my computer to see temp, no point. It's a mechanical drive 3.5 7200rpm drive it's designed to take the heat and stress.

3 yr warranty if it craps out ill get it replaced.
No drives SSD or mechanical are 100% guaranteed and all have a life time before they fail.

But again each to their own, done with this thread enjoy! Thanks everyone for the input.
I think it's understandable to verify you're getting a reliable hard drive. It can take many hours to transfer the contents to another backup. WD was willing to RMA for the overheating issue, but they make you pay a $25 processing fee (advanced RMA) if you want it in a reasonable amount of time, which you're still left vulnerable during if you don't have a spare backup for the interim. Still, I think it's a fair deal for those looking to shuck anyways.
Nov 13, 2016
361 posts
262 upvotes
saudor wrote: the heat is trapped inside that enclosure and the disk is barely touching the enclosure so there's no dissipation from that either. The fan is also loud when it comes on at 63 or so. You need to use Crystaldiskinfo to check the temps. Even my WD my Book 8TB would reach into the high 50s in its enclosure and that one has a lot more holes. I eventually took off the outer casing and no issues

Shucking this enclosure is also tough (so you can't unshuck for warranty purposes) and there's a post on reddit about how the drive gets bricked as soon as you remove the USB bridge. Not sure how true that is but something to think about.

@crazyea Apparently pointing a USB fan up from the bottom is supposed to help with the heat but not sure how much it'll help
I've shucked 8 of these. Pretty easy to be honest once you do the first one. No idea why someone would say they don't work without the enclosure.
Nov 10, 2003
805 posts
462 upvotes
BC, Canada
HarryMuscle wrote: I've shucked 8 of these. Pretty easy to be honest once you do the first one. No idea why someone would say they don't work without the enclosure.
What drive did you get inside?
Any tips for shucking? Are the screws real?
Jan 4, 2021
407 posts
1443 upvotes
Canada
man I've only used 8TB out of my 24TB array but I love that this is a retail HC520 drive inside and not a white label... must.... resist...........
Nov 13, 2016
361 posts
262 upvotes
Loto_Bak wrote: What drive did you get inside?
Any tips for shucking? Are the screws real?
These contain retail Ultrastar HC520 drives. There's a YouTube video that shows how to shuck these. The screws are technically real but they do nothing more than look good.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2008
2193 posts
2061 upvotes
Winnipeg
Just a heads up same price on Amazon.ca right now in stock.
Mar 17, 2008
402 posts
164 upvotes
window shopper wrote: Just a heads up same price on Amazon.ca right now in stock.
Ty. Couldn't buy from London store. Bought 3 from amazon.
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
12253 posts
6050 upvotes
So before i do the transfer i currently have a 2.5 seagate 4tb drive connected and all the games i have on it work with no issues i play them from the drive. Thats using a xbox one x non series. So installing this drive 12tb one it will be the exact same and all the games i have installed on it will work with no issues but possibly faster?

Also when the hard drive is connected now xbox message pops up asking if it will be only used on this xbox or if i will share it with others? Whats the difference i get what the 2 things mean but am i better off selecting im going to use on other xboxes even if i dont have plans too? Ive never seen this message before.

TIA
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Public Mobile user! Fido User!
EQ BANK!! SIMPLii !! Tangerine!!
Buy first think later!
Nov 10, 2003
805 posts
462 upvotes
BC, Canada
You can price match at best buy.ca as well
Mar 3, 2012
311 posts
195 upvotes
Edmonton
thanks op= needed a drive right away and this fit the bill.