• Last Updated:
  • Jun 11th, 2021 3:48 pm
[OP]
Mar 31, 2020
10 posts
28 upvotes

[London Drugs] Apple HomePod Mini $20 GC with purchase

F5B569B3-906A-4AAF-8AA1-92DD14E77253.jpeg
For those in the Apple ecosystem, London Drugs currently has the best deal going on the new HomePod mini. $20 gift card with purchase. In store there’s a coupon for the gift card, online coupon code is: GIFTCARDJUN11
Last edited by htspringhiker on Jun 11th, 2021 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
12 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
1469 posts
4302 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Do you lose any feature by not having a Home-kit enabled device? I only have iPhone at the moment. Considering getting an Apple TV 4K which would be the Home-kit device, but until then...

Edit: Maybe I'm reading it wrong, can the mini actually be the home hub itself?
Last edited by blyndfyre on Jun 11th, 2021 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
5993 posts
2159 upvotes
Toronto
Dhanushan wrote: Starting this fall, Apple said you’ll be able to select the HomePod Mini as the speaker for your Apple TV 4K.

Apple TV to support using HomePod Mini as speakers, among other updates
Are you not able to use Homepod mini currently as tv speakers? I read this was already being done, with apple tv

Also, wouldn't there be lag since wireless?
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
15317 posts
6719 upvotes
Ottawa
blyndfyre wrote: Do you lose any feature by not having a Home-kit enabled device? I only have iPhone at the moment. Considering getting an Apple TV 4K which would be the Home-kit device, but until then...
mainly, a homekit hub allows you to talk to your accessories while you are outside your home. So you can open the garage door to let somebody in, for example while you are away from the house. You need something that's always on, sitting inside your house. Homepod is perfect for that, so is Apple TV. You can use a iPad but you want something that's always inside the house ideally
This is RedFlagDeals, not RedFlagCheapskates. Rich or poor, we all want our deals so we can buy even more stuff we may or may not need.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2007
4843 posts
2607 upvotes
I've been pretty Apple fanboyish lately, but the HomePod just isn't compatible with enough devices as most are just Alexa/Google Home out of the box. Doesn't help that you can get a Google Home or Alexa for free or around $30 or less during sales.

That said, if you have other Apple devices beyond the watch/iphone then I can see how it would be useful.
Penalty Box
Jul 31, 2020
1106 posts
836 upvotes
RiCHC3 wrote: I've been pretty Apple fanboyish lately, but the HomePod just isn't compatible with enough devices as most are just Alexa/Google Home out of the box. Doesn't help that you can get a Google Home or Alexa for free or around $30 or less during sales.

That said, if you have other Apple devices beyond the watch/iphone then I can see how it would be useful.
The big feature is the sound quality vs the other smaller speakers.
Jun 13, 2017
130 posts
66 upvotes
True - apple user here but not into the mini, i have a couple of the OG Homepod's and the sound quality at its size can't be beat. (got mine used on FB marketplace, I'd never pay retail - its overpriced)
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2007
2374 posts
882 upvotes
LOL i thought the mini would be similarly priced the same as google mini and echo mini. didn't realize it wasn't pretty expensive if the features are similar.
PSN: Sakaban
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2002
4217 posts
224 upvotes
Hamilton
Kijana wrote: True - apple user here but not into the mini, i have a couple of the OG Homepod's and the sound quality at its size can't be beat. (got mine used on FB marketplace, I'd never pay retail - its overpriced)
Completely agree. Gotta watch for them on deep discount but there is no comparison in sound between mini and OG (I have both)
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
15317 posts
6719 upvotes
Ottawa
RiCHC3 wrote: I've been pretty Apple fanboyish lately, but the HomePod just isn't compatible with enough devices as most are just Alexa/Google Home out of the box. Doesn't help that you can get a Google Home or Alexa for free or around $30 or less during sales.

My house is actually a mix of Homekit and Alexa devices. So I think setting up the homepod as a hub is worthwhile. I like Homekit because you don't need to install any third party apps, and I can use Apple Scripting/Shortcuts tied to my iDevices For example, I bought that Refoss Homekit garage door opener, and I have it set so that it checks the state of the garage door when both iPhones leave the house. I also have other scripts and it's nice to be able to control those with Siri on my iwatch.

I do agree though, the price of the Homepod is a bit high and it's annoying that I can't use other services like Spotify with them. But I'm seeing the value more as I add more Homekit stuff into my house because they work so well in the ecosystem
This is RedFlagDeals, not RedFlagCheapskates. Rich or poor, we all want our deals so we can buy even more stuff we may or may not need.
Jul 9, 2019
242 posts
680 upvotes
Dhanushan wrote: Starting this fall, Apple said you’ll be able to select the HomePod Mini as the speaker for your Apple TV 4K.

Apple TV to support using HomePod Mini as speakers, among other updates
You could always use a HomePod or HomePod Mini as a speaker. I am using it since it’s launch.

Only thing thing they recently added to Apple TV recently was ARC support and option to make a HomePod speaker default.

But you will be underwhelmed, 2 in stereo cost almost as much as decent sound-bar which gives more room filling rich sound. One is just slightly better than internal TV speaker.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
15317 posts
6719 upvotes
Ottawa
Yeah, there are better options for soundbars. Sonos is expensive but they offer more complete solutions if you want a whole house smart solution.

It seemed like Apple had a vision for the future of TV (as per Job's original comment "We've cracked it"). Seems like whatever they had planned just fizzled out. Apple TV turned out a hobby rather than the giant killing device they probably intended it to be. Homepod flopped after being priced too high and too closed in.