Expired Hot Deals

[London Drugs] Audioengine D1 24-Bit DAC - $79.99 - Regular $189 From Amazon - In Store Pick up Only YMMV

[OP]
Jr. Member
May 26, 2016
108 posts
206 upvotes

[London Drugs] Audioengine D1 24-Bit DAC - $79.99 - Regular $189 From Amazon - In Store Pick up Only YMMV

$110 off. Needs to pick up from store that has stock.
13 replies
Newbie
Nov 22, 2016
60 posts
61 upvotes
Pretty hot. Wish there's a LondonDrug near me
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
6986 posts
1317 upvotes
BC
Looks like 3 in stock chainwide, 1 at each of these stores:

Lansdowne Village
450 Lansdowne Street
Kamloops, British Columbia

Olympic Village
1622 Salt Street
Vancouver, British Columbia

Heritage Plaza
8330 MacLeod Trail SE
Calgary, Alberta
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 23, 2017
2048 posts
4123 upvotes
Been at this price for a while.
I was hoping it would stay a secret until I managed to go out west to pick one up in store lol.
Sr. Member
Aug 28, 2007
834 posts
400 upvotes
Vancouver
Kwirky wrote: Looks like 3 in stock chainwide, 1 at each of these stores:

Lansdowne Village
450 Lansdowne Street
Kamloops, British Columbia

Olympic Village
1622 Salt Street
Vancouver, British Columbia

Heritage Plaza
8330 MacLeod Trail SE
Calgary, Alberta
Dang not available at any of the BC ones anymore. Just picked up a pair of the DT990 250ohm and was considering this amp :(
[external links removed]
Member
Dec 28, 2011
493 posts
412 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
This is a USB powered DAC, which is something you want to avoid since the point of an external DAC is to reduce noise. You want to avoid this. If you want a DAC/AMP combo on the cheap, get a Schiit Fulla which can be powered by a USB charger separately. If this is the right price for you, make sure to put a powered USB hub in front of it, which should mostly mitigate that problem.
Last edited by ExplodingFist on Sep 16th, 2019 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1932 posts
1048 upvotes
Calgary
All gone it looks like. None showing at Heritage Plaza anymore either.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 23, 2017
2048 posts
4123 upvotes
Was in stock for 3 months at this price and now OOS in less than an hour on RFD. Sometimes I forget just how many people use this site.
Member
Nov 20, 2017
406 posts
580 upvotes
Keny wrote: Six months ago, I bought an external usb sound card (DAC) to solve my PC audio noise issue. Cost me less than $10.

It looks like something like this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32977618845.html
To reduce ground loop noise, to my (limited) knowledge, there are noise filters and ground loop isolators.

If this just plugs into your computer, how does it reduce the noise that's already going into a USB audio device like the one OP posted? That item just looks like a very low-quality DAC to me.
Sr. Member
Dec 28, 2006
901 posts
795 upvotes
prodacc wrote: To reduce ground loop noise, to my (limited) knowledge, there are noise filters and ground loop isolators.

If this just plugs into your computer, how does it reduce the noise that's already going into a USB audio device like the one OP posted? That item just looks like a very low-quality DAC to me.
There are all kinds of noise on older/low end PC on-board audio other than ground loop noise. Of mine, I got the noise from moving my mouse. The noise came from other circuitry interfering the on-board DAC; thus, the external DAC getting the digital signal from the USB helps to bypass the interference.

Search the chip PCM2704 and you can find a lot of DACs have one in there. Indeed, digital-to-analog is not something high tech anyways.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 11, 2009
5186 posts
1881 upvotes
Debtario
Decent little DAC/AMP, been using mine since 2014 (was $130 at CC) and I've been happy with it. It's quite compact and the build quality feels excellent, I only have low impedance cans (M50, HD598, D7200) and it just does the job.
ForbiddenX wrote: Dang not available at any of the BC ones anymore. Just picked up a pair of the DT990 250ohm and was considering this amp :(
Some people claim it doesn't have enough power to drive high impedance cans, but I can't say from experience.
ExplodingFist wrote: This is a USB powered DAC, which is something you want to avoid since the point of an external DAC is to reduce noise. You want to avoid this. If you want a DAC/AMP combo on the cheap, get a Schiit Fulla which can be powered by a USB charger separately. If this is the right price for you, make sure to put a powered USB hub in front of it, which should mostly mitigate that problem.
I had this random screech/hiss come through at max volume when hooked up to one of my desktops. Plugged it into a powered USB hub and it solved the issue. Have not had it happen on any other computer.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"

Top